Regulative Principle of Worship (RPW)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, I am referring the simple holiday called " Christmas"; not that I am not trying to understand your effort to expand the term to " Who knows what"; in fact I am shocked that you are going off into left field when the question is rather simple. Your asking me to define a holiday? Wow. I thought this thread would be rather simple. I would like to see biblical support for a holiday.
From a conservative Presbyterian perspective, there is no such support:

http://www.thebluebanner.com/pdf/bluebanner8-9&10.pdf

Web version:
https://www.naphtali.com/articles/c...as-and-holy-days-in-american-presbyterianism/

We should all follow the Regulative Principle of Worship (RPW). That is, the whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men. If it is not commanded in Scripture to do in worship, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture as that which is required, then it must not be done, it must not be added to God's worship.

What is 'good' is determined by God alone. So while it might seem good to us to follow a pattern or shape to our year through a liturgical calendar with all its "holy days", it is only good if it is by God's design and command. In this, we could say that He has given us a pattern, commanded such a pattern to take place, and requires our keeping the pattern for our blessing.

This pattern is called the weekly Christian Sabbath. Fifty-two times a year year worshipping and celebrating Him with our full attention on Him, while the other days (second through seventh days) we work diligently. This is summarized in the 4th commandment. This is the only 'calendar' God has commanded for us as a means of worshiping Him.

In other words, that what is not commanded in Scripture regarding the worship of God is forbidden. Contrary to the Lutherans, Baptists, and others, the RPW does not imply that if it is not stated in Scripture then is it allowed. :AMR:

I have been personally guilty of violating the RPW, and have in the past few years come to repent of my disobedience. There are already too many foul odors reaching God's nostrils from the many happy-clappy churches today, and we have no warrant to add to them.

AMR