Redskins

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
We aren't talking about how kids pick who they play with on the playground here.

Your desire to avoid pointed questions is understandable, but inexcusable. What do you think the purpose of the NAACP was and is?

I'm sure that's why you dodged very clear, very specific questions, despite the fact that I humored you and answered your ridiculous question earlier.

Dude, I already proved you are racist by your own words. You're just racist against your own instead of others. That's what you are. Own it, don't hide from it.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
i'm a native american

i was born and raised in america

as were my parents

and their parents

and their parents

and their parents

etc

I wonder if the pinheaded liberals have stopped to think that calling them Native Americans is just as bad, at least using their reasoning. America was named after Amerigo Vespucci . Why would you call them native Americans? LOL!!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You said 1 in 10 Native Americans are offended.
Actually I said one in ten are offended by the term itself. Over sixty percent of Native Americans are offended by its use outside of their culture/ethnicity.

He said those who are offended want the word to disappear.
True enough of the ten percent, but different outside of that, the way the N word is loathsome to some blacks and accepted among them but not outside of the race with rare exception.

1/10th of 2% of the population wanting a word to disappear is not a decent point.
How people who aren't being defined and represented by a word feel about the word shouldn't determine the fate of the term. You're conflating peculiarly to get to a point that isn't really one.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I find the term "Native American" to be offensive.
You can find the word American offensive. It isn't reasonable though.

I am a native of America, yet not referred to as such simply because of the color of my skin.
You're a native American and that's one designation for you if you want it. A Native American is someone of descent from the original settlers of the continent, predating European settlement. So the former term notes your birthright and the latter term notes a race.

If they are going to categorize me for the color of my skin then I suggest I be called a whiteskin and they be called redskins to eliminate confusion as to where I am from.
Who is they? The dominant, white culture decided upon the labels we use to describe one another.

After all their ancestors migrated here at some point same as mine.
Their ancestors migrated a very long time before anyone from Europe understood the continent existed. And the way we distinguish between which group we're speaking to is to capitalize native. If you think that deprives you of anything at all you'll have to make the case for it.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
You can find the word American offensive. It isn't reasonable though............

Oh my LORD!! The HYPOCRISY!!

So you think the Apache and the Hopi and the rest should be cool with being called a name that comes from an Italian? You're all bent over a stupid football team name, but naming all the tribes race after an Italian is okay?

HOOOO FUNNYYYYY. You're a real piece of work dude.

shagster01

Who is they? The dominant, white culture decided upon the labels we use to describe one another.

Seems that many Native Americans refer to the "white man." I love Native American culture and have many books written by some of them. "White man" and "white skin man" appears in nearly all of them.

But God forbid someone say "Red man" or "Red skin."

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A Native American is someone of descent from the original settlers of the continent, predating European settlement.

Do you consider Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren to be a "Native American"?

Warren claims she is 1/64 Native American.

Apparently Harvard Law School thinks she's a Native American:

"Harvard Law School currently has only one tenured minority woman, Gottlieb Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren, who is Native American." - The Harvard Crimson, Feb. 4, 1998

Elizabeth Warren looks pretty white to me:

Photo-warren-s.jpeg

shagster01

Actually I said one in ten are offended by the term itself. Over sixty percent of Native Americans are offended by its use outside of their culture/ethnicity.

Oh, the old, "I'm offended that other people call me what I say I am," stance.

True enough of the ten percent, but different outside of that, the way the N word is loathsome to some blacks and accepted among them but not outside of the race with rare exception.

How people who aren't being defined and represented by a word feel about the word shouldn't determine the fate of the term. You're conflating peculiarly to get to a point that isn't really one.

Nobody should determine the fate of a term. The 1st ammendment does that.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Their ancestors migrated a very long time before anyone from Europe understood the continent existed.

:think:

wiki said:
The majority of authorities agree that the earliest migration via Beringia took place at least 13,500 years ago...

wiki said:
Epi-Paleolithic[edit]

Around 12,500 BP, the Würm Glacial age ends. Slowly, through the following millennia, temperatures and sea levels rise, changing the environment of prehistoric people. Nevertheless, Magdalenian culture persists until circa 10,000 BP, when it quickly evolves into two microlithist cultures: Azilian, in Spain and southern France, and Sauveterrian, in northern France and Central Europe. Though there are some differences, both cultures share several traits: the creation of very small stone tools called microliths and the scarcity of figurative art, which seems to have vanished almost completely, being replaced by abstract decoration of tools. [7]

In the late phase of this epi-Paleolithic period, the Sauveterrean culture evolves into the so-called Tardenoisian and influences strongly its southern neighbour, clearly replacing it in Mediterranean Spain and Portugal. The recession of the glaciers allows human colonization in Northern Europe for the first time. The Maglemosian culture, derived from the Sauveterre-Tardenois culture but with a strong personality, colonizes Denmark and the nearby regions, including parts of Britain.

Mesolithic[edit]

Further information: Mesolithic

This was a transition period in the development of human technology between the Paleolithic and the Neolithic. The term is mainly applied to the western part of Europe. The period began around 11,500 years ago and ended with the introduction of farming, the date of which varied in each geographical region. In some areas, such as the Near East, farming was already in use by the end of the Pleistocene. In areas with limited glacial impact the term "Epipaleolithic" is sometimes preferred for the period. Regions that experienced greater environmental effects as the last glacial period ended have a much more apparent Mesolithic era, lasting millennia. In northern Europe societies were able to live well on rich food supplies from the marshlands created by the warmer climate. Such conditions produced distinctive human behaviours that are preserved in the material record, such as the Maglemosian and Azilian cultures. Such conditions delayed the coming of the Neolithic to as late as 6000 BP in northern Europe.

As what Vere Gordon Childe termed the "Neolithic Package" (including agriculture, herding, polished stone axes, timber long houses and pottery) spread into Europe, the Mesolithic way of life was marginalised and eventually disappeared.[8] Controversy over the means of that dispersal is discussed below in the Neolithic section. Note that a "Ceramic Mesolithic" can be distinguished between 7200-5850 BP that ranged from southern to northern Europe.

you can support your claim that paleolithic and mesolithic europeans were unaware of the existence of the north american continent?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

"Harvard Law School currently has only one tenured minority woman, Gottlieb Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren, who is Native American." - The Harvard Crimson, Feb. 4, 1998

Photo-warren-s.jpeg

not against the white background of the page she don't

rexlunae

Photo-warren-s.jpeg

That was one of the more embarrassing things she's claimed. And probably untrue. It's actually really common for old English families to have such claims woven into family history. My family also had such a traditional claim to Delaware ancestry, which we have since debunked with genetic testing and extensive genealogical study. But when I was younger, I never doubted it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, the old, "I'm offended that other people call me what I say I am," stance.
No, the old, "You aren't entitled to use a word that was coined to offend. How we use it among ourselves is our business." And that would apply to the larger number. The ten percent would simply prefer the word, within their community and without, ended.

Nobody should determine the fate of a term. The 1st ammendment does that.
No one is seeking to have the word made illegal. So there's no challenge to free speech. Likewise, the Klan can march and chant idiotic racial nonsense and no one should want to impede their right.

But it does't make it respectable and people who don't mean to offend shouldn't offer a needless offense, which has always been my point and part.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Seems that many Native Americans refer to the "white man."
So do we. It's never been a term the empowered majority used to marginalize anyone. It's been a term we used to refer to ourselves as a race. It's what we call ourselves and decided upon. It's historically been flown as a flag of supposed superiority.

I love Native American culture and have many books written by some of them. "White man" and "white skin man" appears in nearly all of them.
I'm sure it does.

But God forbid someone say "Red man" or "Red skin."
Like suggesting white man and the n word are on the same level and to object to the latter while not the former is on any level problematic.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
not against the white background of the page she don't

Do you think she looks like a "woman of color"?

Evidently Fordham Law School thought so:

"There are few women of color who hold important positions in the academy, Fortune 500 companies, or other prominent fields or industries,” the piece says. “This is not inconsequential. Diversifying these arenas, in part by adding qualified women of color to their ranks, remains important for many reaons. For one, there are scant women of color as role models. In my three years at Stanford Law School, there were no professors who were women of color. Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995.” - Fordham Law Journal 1997

Look again, real hard this time:

300h.jpg