Real Science Friday: What technologies needed Darwin or an old earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nope, I specified that any deorbiting due to IO’s tides would probably take billions of years. You are the one claiming Io’s tides would cause significant orbital decay and thus provide evidence against an old creation.
The only difference is that I'm predicting it would take millions of years.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This doesn't create a dynamo at all.

Has to be. The evidence shows the field increases and decreases in strength over time. Unless you think magnetism fairies are switching a giant battery off and on, it has to be generated.

2. The magnetic field changes in orientation and strength over time, sometimes greater, sometimes less, but is always changing. Sometimes, it even flips. This is consistent with a dynamo, but not with magnetic substances slowly losing magnetism.

Not only does movement not make a dynamo, but changing field patterns don't preclude a core that isn't being charged. Why you think so is a mystery.

Show us your alternative and the evidence for it.

Barbarian observes:
Where does the energy from all this come? The decay of radioactive elements in the core. This sets up convection currents in the mantle and the Coriolis effect then produces a chaotic movement something like that in the atmosphere.

Again, movement doesn't make a dynamo.

Movement of magnetic material past a conductor does.

The movement has to be specific.

Horsefeathers. Take a rare earth magnet about the size of a nickel. Drop it down a length of thick-walled copper pipe of slightly greater diameter. You'll get a surprise.

In fact, it's rather complicated and requires a great number of mechanisms working together that simply haven't been demonstrated.

If you think so, you have no idea how a dynamo works.

3. Every simulation of the system produces currents of liquid iron, and that is sufficient to cause magnetic fields. The currents in the models also produce fields that look like those of Earth.

Every simulation creates the mechanisms needed without regard to what has been revealed.

Would you like to see the evidence for this again?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Very odd that an "evolutionist" wouldn't have known this. PubMed has um...Two hundred and seventy pages of hits for "lateral gene transfer."
Not odd at all. You just consistently fail to respond honestly to what is said.

Try reading again. :thumb:

Alate_One

Hey, Fred. How are things at the Fairy Tale board? It's good to see you again, so to speak.

I'm wondering about your quote since lateral gene transfer was known when I was an undergrad back in the 60s. A quick google search turns up one such paper from 1968:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/3572594

Very odd that an "evolutionist" wouldn't have known this. PubMed has um...

Two hundred and seventy pages of hits for "lateral gene transfer."

Yes, but the assumption was it didn't happen much between higher organisms. Apparently it does happen more often than was previously thought, though it is still relatively rare. The fact we can tell the difference between HGT and descent tells you that one doesn't "override" evidence for the other.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian notes that lateral gene transfer has been long known:
Very odd that an "evolutionist" wouldn't have known this. PubMed has um...Two hundred and seventy pages of hits for "lateral gene transfer."

Not odd at all. You just consistently fail to respond honestly to what is said.

There are 62 pages for "horizontal gene transfer" and "vertebrates." The oldest abstract that refers directly to hgt in vertebrates dates from 1987, about, um, just shy of a quarter century ago.

As I said, very strange that this "evolutionist" didn't know it. Very strange, indeed.

About 4 years ago, there was an article about it in Nature, so it's not just an obscure journal. Or is this an example of recycling old news, again?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian. You asked me why the dates given by different kinds of decay were all consistent after i gave the reason for consistency among varying half lifes of the same decay mode. The reasoning is the same for the consistency among differing decay modes except the consistency is not as great as that as among the same type of decay. Given a large enough sample of radio dates, The differences among dates between different decay modes i s larger than difference among dates for the same decay mode given you are using the same rock sample in each case.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian. You asked me why the dates given by different kinds of decay were all consistent after i gave the reason for consistency among varying half lifes of the same decay mode. The reasoning is the same for the consistency among differing decay modes except the consistency is not as great as that as among the same type of decay. Given a large enough sample of radio dates, The differences among dates between different decay modes i s larger than difference among dates for the same decay mode given you are using the same rock sample in each case.

Now, that's interesting. Show us that one.

DavisBJ

Sounds like you might consider a draw – we both lose. If I give up on saying the Jovian moons are billions of years old, you will do likewise on saying they are less than ten-thousand years old? Means my science is wrong, and your literal Genesis is too?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:mock: Jukia

He really should learn to at least pretend to be interested in an actual discussion. He could learn lots of neat tricks for that from Barbie. :chuckle:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are 62 pages for "horizontal gene transfer" and "vertebrates." The oldest abstract that refers directly to hgt in vertebrates dates from 1987, about, um, just shy of a quarter century ago.

Thanks for recognising and fixing your error. :thumb:

Tyrathca

Based on what? I sincerely doubt you were capable of such calculations and had access to software and processing power capable of modelling the orbits of the jovian system and the effects you predict over such a time frame. So who did the maths?

-----------------------------------------------
:mock: Jukia

He really should learn to at least pretend to be interested in an actual discussion. He could learn lots of neat tricks for that from Barbie. :chuckle:
If only we could also expect the same from you too...
Don't bother, doofus. :chuckle:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If only we could also expect the same from you too...

I can show you thousands of my posts that are on topic, relevant and present something of interest. I challenge you to find just one post from Jukia in a thread I am in that is on topic, relevant and not a lame little quip. :thumb:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

Thanks for recognising and fixing your error.

Actually, eukaryotes are higher organisms. I just figured that you'd certainly be willing to concede vertebrates are. Still, it's odd that your "evolutionist" was 25 years behind on his reading, um?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian observes: There are 62 pages for "horizontal gene transfer" and "vertebrates." The oldest abstract that refers directly to hgt in vertebrates dates from 1987, about, um, just shy of a quarter century ago. Actually, eukaryotes are higher organisms. I just figured that you'd certainly be willing to concede vertebrates are. Still, it's odd that your "evolutionist" was 25 years behind on his reading, um?

Who are you? :idunno:

And who are you talking to? :idunno:

Alate_One

When he says "um" it means his brain's gone on vacation again. :)

You think this because yours is permanently on vacation . . . .

Wow. He says that a lot!
And you make pointless posts 90% of the time . . . and?

Would either of you like to discuss the actual issues at hand?

Anyone know if Io is actually thought to be left over from the initial formation of the solar system or if it was a later capture?

And frankly what does IO have to do with technologies that require and old earth?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Don't worry about Sot. He's just following me around, trying to get even for past wrongs he thinks the evil Barbarian has done to him.

And Stipe, when he's cornered, gets mean and abusive. No surprise there, either. Let them vent. It does no harm.

But isn't it odd that the "evolutionist" was unaware of the data almost a quarter-century old? Very odd, um?

Status
Not open for further replies.