Real Science Friday: Language!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or another word for "change" is....evolve? :dunce:

You have to speak so that people know what you're talking about.

:think:

Unless you're trying to be subversive.

No it hasn't been shown false. Bob speculates that it is false only because there is no conclusive evidence to prove it true. His reasoning is a logical fallacy known as "argument from ignorance". You might want to look that one up.

The claim was made. The claim was falsified. Now you're making a new claim. You're a bit late and all ad-hoq.

Stratnerd

The claim was made. The claim was falsified. Now you're making a new claim. You're a bit late and all ad-hoq.
It's a good point - "science" by negative evidence isn't the best way to go about falsifying a hypotheses.

We looked for it... sure 'nuf and we ain't found it so we know it doesn't exist.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a good point - "science" by negative evidence isn't the best way to go about falsifying a hypotheses.

We looked for it... sure 'nuf and we ain't found it so we know it doesn't exist.

What are you talking about?

Darwin asserted that tribal languages were proof that language evolved. He was shown wrong. That was the point in the show.

pozzolane

BANNED
Banned
Darwin asserted that tribal languages were proof that language evolved. He was shown wrong. That was the point in the show.

Stripe, this is why it's so difficult talking to you. You are either completely dishonest, or you are extremely thick.

You haven't shown anything, except that there is no evidence. And this lack of evidence is not justification for claiming the opposite (that languages didn't evolve).

Darwin claimed that there was an evolution in language because he was being consistent with his reasoning. Of course, this in particular remains a hypothesis because it cannot be demonstrated true due to the fact that, and I will say it again, written language is tandem to complex "modern" spoken language. Or to put it more simply, more complex "modern" language came first, and then the advent of writing. So where and how would there be evidence for ancient simple languages, other than Darwins observations of sounds (grunts, barks, squeals etc...) that animals make (and communicate with)?

Stratnerd

What are you talking about?
You don't know what negative evidence means?
And my research has shown there are no birds in North America after dark.

I looked everywhere. Didn't see one. I'm discounting owls because I said so.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Languages are evolving. Haven't you ever seen or discussed the original Beowulf in high school? That was what used to be "English".

Well that was not why I said his comments are redundant. He (Bob) is asking for the production of evidence that doesn't exist (and logically so. Written language is tandem to complex modern spoken language.). Then, in light of the non-existence of evidence, he declares victory with his premise that this disproves evolution.

I guess you have to be really easily impressed to listen to Bob's shows.

The fact that Enyart has the audacity to mention Chomsky just shows how ill-advised this show really was.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Languages are evolving. Haven't you ever seen or discussed the original Beowulf in high school? That was what used to be "English".

Well that was not why I said his comments are redundant. He (Bob) is asking for the production of evidence that doesn't exist (and logically so. Written language is tandem to complex modern spoken language.). Then, in light of the non-existence of evidence, he declares victory with his premise that this disproves evolution.

I guess you have to be really easily impressed to listen to Bob's shows.
Miss the point much?

Jukia

Maybe you should try reading the Bible. It wasn't done in an instant. And our bodies are made up of the same chemicals as the Earth, from which the Bible reads that God created Adam.

The root of the matter is that Darwin stated that "primitive" languages would still exist, and they didn't. Where's the flaw?

Ah, but first he magically poofed the chemical elements, right?

And why is it that fundy creationists take Darwin as gospel on almost every issue despite the fact that he wrote Origin 150 years ago. Nothing has happened since then to expand/clarify/explain? Guess when you are willing to take as truth a cobbled together book of 2000+ years then 150 years is not a big deal.

Granite

Hall of Fame

And why is it that fundy creationists take Darwin as gospel on almost every issue despite the fact that he wrote Origin 150 years ago. Nothing has happened since then to expand/clarify/explain? Guess when you are willing to take as truth a cobbled together book of 2000+ years then 150 years is not a big deal.

Fundies fall into a real peculiar catch-22: they treat evolutionary theory with contempt because as a good theory it changes--and fundamentalists aren't exactly big on anything that changes with time, especially the printed word--yet they seem to assume that because Darwin wrote a book, it's taken as inerrant by those who support evolutionary theory.

Stratnerd

There are some ideas that Darwin put out there that haven't been rigorously looked at and it is interesting stuff. Is it groundbreaking if the results were shown to be false? Depends on the idea. His ideas behind inheritance have been shown to be wrong and that has actually worked in his favor in other areas. The branching pattern of evolution has shown to work and so has natural selection.

But anyway, my biggest beef with the study (not having read it) is that it is strange to talk about the origin of something without proper sampling of the organisms involved and the brushing aside of primate vocalizations.

Or maybe my biggest beef is the disconnect between the hypothesis and the predictions such.

Or maybe my biggest problem is the use of negative evidence...

Question is, why didn't the reviewers reject the paper?????

fool

Hall of Fame
The thing that the fundies fail to understand is that Darwin is not our Jesus.
We rely on Darwin for our science as much as we rely on Lewis and Clark for our maps of the west.
Darwin wasen't a linguest or an anthropologist of any great import as far as I know, the "evilutionists" don't care what Darwin thought about language and don't care even more what Bob and his friend think about what Darwin thought.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK, everyone agrees. Darwin was wrong. Can we move on now?

pozzolane

BANNED
Banned
The fact that Enyart has the audacity to mention Chomsky just shows how ill-advised this show really was.

Well it's not surprising considering he does name this segment of the show "Real Science Friday", as though it's only really science if it agrees with Bob's presuppositions. :rolleyes:

It's really just a hint that Bob's never actually had any actual science training, he just likes to play dress up scientist now and again with his little radio friends. Fantasy land is lots of fun. At least I thought so when I was 6.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let's.
How did they study "the earliest languages" did the hold a pottery shard up to thier ear and listen really hard?

No. Darwin visited isolated tribes and listened to them speak. He drew wrong conclusions.

I thought we'd been through this...?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

:bang:

Shut your mouth, read the Bible, then you can come in here and talk about what's in there. Because you clearly don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.