Quotations of the day

FineLinen

"The difference between a good life and a bad life is how well you walk through the fire." -Carl Jung

1612732479757.png

Last edited:

FineLinen

"It is a bad world, Donatus, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered, in the midst of it, a quiet and holy people who have learned a great secret. They have found a joy, which is a thousand times better than any of the pleasures of our sinful life. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They have overcome the world. These people, Donatus, are Christians, and I am one of them." -Cyprian the Bishop of Carthage

FineLinen

"When religion is in the hands of the mere natural man, he is always the worse for it; it adds a bad heat to his own dark fire and helps to inflame his four elements of selfishness, envy, pride, and wrath. And hence it is the worst passions, or a worse degree of them are to be found in persons of great religious zeal than in others that made no pretenses to it. History also furnishes us with instances of persons of great piety and devotion who have fallen into great delusions and deceived both themselves and others. The occasion of their fall was this.....They considered their whole nature as the subject of religion and divine graces; and therefore their religion was according to the workings of their whole nature, and the old man was as busy and as much delighted in it as the new." -Wm. Law

FineLinen

"There is no defeat unless one loses God, and then all is defeat, though it be housed in castles and buried in fortunes." -Frank Lauback

1612832802412.png

Last edited:

FineLinen

"Union with Christ in His resurrection was not an after-thought on the part of God. It was not some sort of plan b because the devil had spoiled Plan A." -John Gavazzoni-

FineLinen

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking." -H.J. Brown Jr.

“Things get bad for all of us, almost continually, and what we do under the constant stress reveals who & what we are.” -Charles Bukowski

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln

FineLinen

"What we believe about heaven and hell is incredibly important because it exposes what we believe about who God is and what God is like." -Rob Bell

“To say it again, eternal life is less about a kind of time that starts when we die, and more about a quality and vitality of life now in connection to God. Eternal life doesn't start when we die; it starts now. It's not about a life that begins at death; it's about experiencing the kind of life now that can endure and survive even death.”

FineLinen

"It is our best work that God wants, not the dregs of our exhaustion. I think he must prefer quality to quantity." -George MacDonald

1613047955700.png

Last edited:

FineLinen

"Are our broadest hopes broad enough? Shall there be a nook or abyss, in all the universe of God, finally unlightened by the Cross? Shall there be a sin, or sorrow, or pain unhealed? Is the very universe, is creation in all its extent, a field wide enough for the Son of God?" -Christ Triumphant

FineLinen

“For now, my point is simply that on the seventh day, it appears that there are no losers. So if you need some losers to feel like a winner, you may not like the seventh day.” - Peter Hiett

1613092649733.png

FineLinen

"Justification by grace through faith' is the theologian's learned phrase for what Chesterton once called 'the furious love of God.' He is not moody or capricious; He knows no seasons of change. He has a single relentless stance toward us: He loves us." -Brennan Manning

"We should be astonished at the goodness of God, stunned that He should bother to call us by name, our mouths wide open at His love, bewildered that at this very moment we are standing on holy ground." -Brennan Manning

FineLinen

"God is unchanging in His love. He loves you. He has a plan for your life. Don't let the newspaper headlines frighten you. God is still sovereign; He's still on the throne." -Billy Graham

FineLinen

"The resurrection of Jesus Christ was necessary to establish the truth of his mission and put the stamp of all-conquering power on his gospel." -E.M. Bounds

"I prefer death in Christ Jesus to power over the farthest limits of the earth. He who died in place of us is the one object of my quest. He who rose for our sakes is my one desire." -Ignatius of Antioch

1613301631607.png

FineLinen

"The wild & wacky world we are presently living encompasses unprecedented developments. The new day I see is our God declaring, "I make everything new" in an unprecedented response." -David E. Johnson

FineLinen

“If sin is anything that separates us from God and from each other; and if God is to be “all in all,” then he must sooner or later destroy all sin and thus remove every stain from his creation. According to the New Testament as a whole, God has a two-fold strategy for accomplishing this end. On the one hand, he sent his Son in the flesh to defeat, in some unexplained mystical way, the powers of darkness and to pioneer the way of salvation (see Heb 2:10)—a way of repentance, forgiveness, and personal sacrifice. On the other hand, for those who refuse to step into his ordained system of repentance, forgiveness, and personal sacrifice, he has an alternative strategy: in their estrangement from God, they will experience his love as a consuming fire; that is, as wrath, as punishment, and, in the end, as a means of correction. So in that sense, they will literally pay for their sin; and God will never—not in this age and not in the age to come—forgive (or set aside) the final payment they owe, which is voluntarily to step inside the ordained system of repentance, forgiveness, and personal sacrifice. As Jesus said, using the analogy of someone being thrown into prison, “Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny” (Matt 5:25). 97.” - Thomas Talbott (The Inescapable Love of God)

FineLinen

1613481245113.png

"I had always thought of God as loving, but now I found out that He was far more than loving: He was love, love embodied and ingrained. I saw that He was, as it were, made out of love, so that in the very nature of things He could not do anything contrary to love." -Hannah W. Smith

Last edited: