Questions, Comments and Discussion on Isaiah

TrevorL

Questions, Comments and Discussion on Isaiah

The purpose of this thread is to discuss aspects of the Prophecy of Isaiah. The suggested format is that various topics will be started, mainly with a question or comment by any contributor, and then discussion is invited. When there is too many topics in the one thread, then a new thread may be started. For my part I have been interested in Isaiah for many years, and it is hoped that this interaction will be mutually beneficial.

Topic 1: Isaiah 2:1-4
Question: What does this depict and when shall this be fulfilled?
Comment: This is still future and will be fulfilled when Jesus returns to establish the Kingdom of God upon the earth for the 1000 years. Jesus will then sit upon the Throne of David and will be the King / Priest ruling from Jerusalem.

Topic 2: The similarity of Isaiah 2:1-4 and Micah 4:1-4
Question: What came first, Isaiah or Micah?
Comment: I suggest that Isaiah 2 was given during Uzziah’s reign, while Micah 4 was given later, in Hezekiah’s reign. This seems to indicate that Micah blended Isaiah’s prophecy into the circumstances of Hezekiah’s time, as it sits in a particular context.

Topic 3: The call of Isaiah in Isaiah 6
Question: Why is Isaiah’s call recorded in Isaiah 6 and not near the beginning of his prophecy?
Comment: I suggest that Isaiah chapters 2-5 were given in Uzziah’s reign and were thus general prophecies by Isaiah who was already a prophet, but then at the end of Uzziah’s reign Isaiah is given this specific call, and possibly with this, a higher calling with greater responsibilities.

Topic 4: The Seraphim of Isaiah 6
Question: Who or what are the Seraphim of Isaiah 6?
Comment:They are symbolic creatures depicting present and future things. They are not Angels and are not real beings.

Topic 5: The Wings of the Seraphim
Question: What do the wings signify, two covering the face, another two the feet and another two used to fly?
Comment: Please add a comment. I have an opinion, but would like to hold this in reserve.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Topic 6: The Lord of Isaiah 6:1 (Part 1)
Question: Who is the Lord of Isaiah 6:1?
Isaiah 6:1 (KJV): In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
Comment: The Apostle John, after quoting Isaiah 53 and Isaiah 6:9-10 adds the following comment, and thus identifies “the Lord” of Isaiah 6:1 as Jesus.
John 12:39–41 (KJV): 39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. 41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.

Topic 7: The Lord of Isaiah 6:1 (Part 2)
Question: The Lord of Isaiah 6:1 is sitting upon a throne. When did or when will this happen?
Isaiah 6:1 (KJV): In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
Comment:I suggest that this vision of the King upon his throne is parallel with Isaiah 2:1-4, and therefore this is a vision of Jesus as the King / Priest upon the Throne of David during the 1000 years.

Topic 8: The Message that Isaiah was Commissioned to Preach
Question: How can we reconcile the message that Isaiah was commissioned to preach and the actual record of his preaching?
Isaiah 6:9–10 (KJV): 9 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. 10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.
Comment: Isaiah did not preach these words directly, but rather this was the end result of his preaching, when many of his hearers did not accept his preaching and their hearts failed to understand.

Topic 9: The Message that Isaiah was Commissioned to Preach and the New Testament
Question: Was Isaiah’s message only applicable to his day and his contemporaries?
Comment:No, it is also applied in the New Testament to Jesus’ ministry in Matthew 13:13-15 and John 12:39-40 and to Paul’s preaching in Acts 28:25-27.

Topic 10: The Message that Isaiah was Commissioned to Preach and Discipleship
Question: Was Isaiah’s message applicable to all of Isaiah’s contemporaries and all of Jesus’ contemporaries or did some respond to their message?
Comment:Both Isaiah and Jesus were effective in their preaching in that some disciples responded to their message.
Isaiah 8:16–17 (KJV): 16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. 17 And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.
Matthew 13:15–17 (KJV): 15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Kind regards
Trevor