Question about gnosticism?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What is the origin of gnosticism?

I am not privileged with this information.

Well, that was just meant to be a joke. Some people think it originated in Ephesus and that Paul was referring to it (or a prototype of it) in his letter, where he warns the church about those who have what is falsely called knowledge.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Knowing...........

Knowing...........

What is the origin of gnosticism? where does the two God idea come from? is it from a personality or is it a creation from a school of thinking i.e Alexandria.
I have studied the Gospel of Judas and the Apocalypse of Adam which is believed to be pre-Christian Gnostic text.
It probably did not come from Jesus if there is a pre-Christian text ? Please can anybody help me :think:

Hi Ian,

Here are some other threads on Gnosticism (or gnostic related) if interested to read into -

Gnositicism

The Gospel of Thomas

Gnostic Scriptures

Diving into the basics, a good start is The Gnosis Archive, yet as shared already...there are various branches of gnostic cosmology and philosophy, yet some share the same universal concepts or allegorical features. The essential recognition about 'gnosis' ultimately comes down to the soul's individual experience of reality, something he realizes thru 'experience'. Each soul discovers the inner light, fire or essence of divinity in his own being.