Pro-choice? Where do you draw the line?

Pro-choice? Where do you draw the line?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

quip

BANNED
Banned
What occurs naturally is not subject to morality.
It aptly illustrates the irrationality and subjectivity of assigning a morality status to a blastocyst.

Don't you find the frequency of which human blastocysts get naturally destroyed ....disturbing?! Of course you don't, simply because blastocysts are not subject to morality.

Last edited:

alwight

A few human cells that are in the process of becoming a mature human being in actuality.
I don't have a problem with contraception providing the ovum is not fertilized. Once it is fertilized, it is no longer contraception but rather the destruction of a human being in process.
You are entitled to that view of course, we can agree to disagree, but for me the zygote or whatever is still only what it is at the time, perhaps not a great deal different in substance from the moment just before conception. I anyway wouldn't want to think they were all human beings/persons at all while the odds of their survival were so poor.

Unless there is perhaps a metaphysical element that I am unaware of then I really don't think that your own opinion here has sufficient material evidence or moral justification to deny the right of choice to a woman who may well not agree with you.

IMJerusha

It aptly illustrates the irrationality and subjectivity of assigning a morality status to a blastocyst.

Don't you find the frequency of which human blastocysts get naturally destroyed ....disturbing?! Of course you don't, simply because blastocysts are not subject to morality.

Morality is an assignation of God, not man.
And, no, I do not find what occurs naturally disturbing because it occurs for a reason. It is my understanding and trust that God knows best.

IMJerusha

You are entitled to that view of course, we can agree to disagree, but for me the zygote or whatever is still only what it is at the time, perhaps not a great deal different in substance from the moment just before conception.

Thank you. Are you the least bit grateful your Mother didn't "opt out" of you?

I anyway wouldn't want to think they were all human beings/persons at all while the odds of their survival were so poor.

Heaven forbid you should have a conscience!

Unless there is perhaps a metaphysical element that I am unaware of then I really don't think that your own opinion here has sufficient material evidence or moral justification to deny the right of choice to a woman who may well not agree with you.

You declare that God is not, so it's odd to me that you would consider His moral assignations at all. You do not believe in God so you, therefore, have no morals to go by nor a conscience. You can't have it both ways. Which is it?...does He exist or not?

Last edited:

alwight

Thank you. Are you the least bit grateful your Mother didn't "opt out" of you?
There are any number of possible other people that could have existed in my place or perhaps none at all, the odds of my being here are probably enormous why worry about one detail, it happened.

Heaven forbid you should have a conscience!
Not quite sure what that might means exactly.:liberals:

You declare that God is not, so it's odd to me that you would consider His moral assignations at all. You do not believe in God so you, therefore, have no morals to go by nor a conscience. You can't have it both ways. Which is it?...does He exist or not?
Why some theists seem to think that morality depends only on their idea of god is rather beyond me.
I don't pretend to know if any gods do not exist but my morality is my own not something supposed by you to be your God's absolute values rather than just your own like mine.

IMJerusha

There are any number of possible other people that could have existed in my place or perhaps none at all, the odds of my being here are probably enormous why worry about one detail, it happened.

No other people could have existed in your place. Your place didn't exist until you did and it is unique to you. In all the world, there is not another place just like yours and the same goes for every blastocyst.

Not quite sure what that might means exactly.:liberals:

It means that until you acknowledge God for Who and What He is, your conscience has been denied you.

Why some theists seem to think that morality depends only on their idea of god is rather beyond me.
I don't pretend to know if any gods do not exist but my morality is my own not something supposed by you to be your God's absolute values rather than just your own like mine.

You're not an atheist, you're an agnostic and you're kidding yourself if you think your sense of morality is your own.

alwight

No other people could have existed in your place. Your place didn't exist until you did and it is unique to you. In all the world, there is not another place just like yours and the same goes for every blastocyst.
Why not? If my mother had not wanted to have children that would be just how it was, since she did I exist. But if my zygote had failed, perhaps as most do naturally, then someone else might have existed instead of and perhaps more worthy than me.

It means that until you acknowledge God for Who and What He is, your conscience has been denied you.
No it doesn't.

You're not an atheist, you're an agnostic and you're kidding yourself if you think your sense of morality is your own.
Yes I am an agnostic, but I am also an atheist because I don't believe in any gods. :plain:

gcthomas

Yes I am an agnostic, but I am also an atheist because I don't believe in any gods. :plain:

The last time I mentioned I was an agnostic atheist, I had a whole slew of people telling me I wasn't. Interesting to see who objects this time around.

:wave:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Morality is an assignation of God, not man.
And, no, I do not find what occurs naturally disturbing because it occurs for a reason. It is my understanding and trust that God knows best.

That's good, now take that next blind step and trust in god to manage the personal issue of abortion without the likes of yourself...we'll see how that goes.

IMJerusha

Why not? If my mother had not wanted to have children that would be just how it was, since she did I exist. But if my zygote had failed, perhaps as most do naturally, then someone else might have existed instead of and perhaps more worthy than me.

Because there has never been and never will be another such as you and your worth is inestimable. Yeshua thought so about you, so much so that He kept Himself up on a cross for you when He could have removed Himself.

No it doesn't.

Whether my words are accurate or not in your opinion is not the point. You asked me what I meant by my statement. I told you. Are you going to tell me now that you know what I meant by my own words better than I do? You are discrediting yourself but from what I can see, you're used to doing that. If you have no value in your own eyes, how can you see any value in anyone else and in this, you prove you have been denied a conscience. God wants you to acknowledge Him. Of course, it's your choice.

Uh huh, whatever you say!

IMJerusha

That's good, now take that next blind step and trust in god to manage the personal issue of abortion without the likes of yourself...we'll see how that goes.

The likes of myself understand that whether we choose to believe in the God of Israel or not, our choices come with consequences. Abortion carries with it enormous consequences.

quip

BANNED
Banned
The likes of myself understand that whether we choose to believe in the God of Israel or not, our choices come with consequences. Abortion carries with it enormous consequences.

So does proscribing abortion...so what's your god's answer to this conundrum?

alwight

Because there has never been and never will be another such as you and your worth is inestimable. Yeshua thought so about you, so much so that He kept Himself up on a cross for you when He could have removed Himself.
Clearly I don't see it quite that way, if it hadn't been me it would have been someone else.

Whether my words are accurate or not in your opinion is not the point. You asked me what I meant by my statement. I told you. Are you going to tell me now that you know what I meant by my own words better than I do? You are discrediting yourself but from what I can see, you're used to doing that. If you have no value in your own eyes, how can you see any value in anyone else and in this, you prove you have been denied a conscience. God wants you to acknowledge Him. Of course, it's your choice.
No, I simply made a bald assertion just as you did, I really don't claim to know but if you want to simply assert things like that then fine I can do the same.

Uh huh, whatever you say!
Yes, the two terms are not mutually exclusive even if some theists seem to have a hard time with that idea.

WizardofOz

Which imo is exactly why you should be thinking my way, that zygotes at least cannot be “a” human since it is only a human cell.

Every human begins this same way. Biologically speaking, when does human development begin? A zygote is a human even if only at the very first stages of development.

The intent of the woman not to be pregnant can be tolerated even if not exactly personally approved by you. :idea:

I am not arguing against the intent not to become pregnant but once she's pregnant the intent is secondary as whether she intended to be or not, she is pregnant.

Best intentions and all....

That would be an argument for not using abortion as a casual birth control, and also people have died from cosmetic surgery too, so ban it too yes? :eek:

Both unnecessarily put the patient at risk but only one also seeks to kill a human. If a person wants cosmetic surgery, they are the only one at risk. An abortion puts both the mother and child-to-be at risk, resulting in the death of the latter.

So, apples and something other than apples :)

The point is, when you say a woman seeking her 7th abortion is a misuse of medical facility and sign of incompetence, the 1st must also be if even to a lesser degree.
I think the law should allow for at least an element of personal choice and avoid being dictatorial as much as possible.

Allowing all abortion regardless would be avoiding being dictatorial as much as possible, would it not? That statement doesn't exactly reflect your position as you're OK with being dictatorial but on your terms.

Is getting an elective abortion a misuse of medical facilities and a sign of incompetence by the mother? Again, if the 7th is, even the 1st must be in your view, even if to a lesser degree.

If the reason for my pro-life position can only be due to religious or spiritual conviction but your pro-life view (once that threshold has been crossed) is not necessarily due to religious or spiritual conviction, it shows a double standard.

We agree that the line must be drawn somewhere. I believe what you do but consistently from day 1 and it does not necessarily have anything to do with religious or spiritual conviction.

Why do you feel it must?
Well I and others keep asking you what exactly is so special about a reasonably early term foetus, even a zygote, which to you seems to make it sacred and untouchable. So much so that you’d deny a woman’s right to control what happens to her own body. Shouldn’t there be a very special and demonstrable material reason for doing that if there is no spiritual or religious convictions involved?

That special and demonstrable material reason is that the early term fetus, even a zygote, is a developing human.

What exactly is so special about a 27 week old foetus, which to you seems to make it sacred and untouchable? So much so that you’d deny a woman’s right to control what happens to her own body. Shouldn’t there be a very special and demonstrable material reason for doing that if there is no spiritual or religious convictions involved?

Will you kindly answer mine? ^

But the circumstances gradually change over time until a tipping point is reached when the law suddenly gives rights to the foetus over the woman. I don’t see a problem with that other than there is a rather large grey area that probably can’t be covered particularly well in law.
Why must the same rules apply throughout a pregnancy?

In part, you offered an answer to the question.

I don’t think the medical profession is particularly dogmatic about it. Individual cases are assessed and dealt with on the individual circumstances not a dogma. Who actually wants to keep people lingering on unnecessarily or prolonging pain?

I do not necessarily want to do so and this highlights my point. The individual lingering unnecessarily currently has more of a right to not be killed when they have much closer to a zero probability of being a thinking "person" again. Whereas, the human developing inside a womb has a much higher probability of becoming so but can be killed for any or even no reason at all.

This, to me, is backward.

But you want to prevent any freedom of choice for the woman and her pregnancy while I wonder what latitude you would allow at the other end of life? Would you insist that in every case everything possible is done to prolong life at all costs no matter how much pain they were in?

Off topic but with end-of-life care and planning the individual can make a conscious choice to consent to their own death. The unborn has no such say obviously.

Do not force people to live artificially if they do not want to. I am all for letting nature take its course in both beginning of life and end of life care.

Since it isn’t spiritual or religious then what is it exactly that is so special about it? :bang:

The same things that you feel are special about a 27-week-old fetus.

If the woman has had her reasonable chance to choose then at some point my vote goes to the foetus, sorry if you can’t reconcile that, but I am pro-choice not pro-dogma.

Exactly, you are pro-choice...until you're not. Are you then pro-dogma?

You keep implying that my position is based on dogma, please explain why you feel it must be. Keep in mind of pro-life atheists/agnostics like fool or Rusha when you do.

Only because at some point imo the foetus acquires enough rights of its own, not that I always thought it had them or any.

Do you agree with the states that declare all unborn "persons" in regard to (criminal) acts other than (legal) abortion?

I quoted them earlier and can again for reference if you're unsure what I am referring to.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What was the point of your distinction i.e. "a fetus is one thing a blastocyst is something else.

It's not my distinction; it's a medical one.

You made a point to differentiate so saying they are both "potential persons" does nothing to clarify why you made a point to create a distinction between the two in the first place.

One happens to be further along in the process.

You want to discuss it, by all means.... That's why I also invited you (twice) to the thread actually entitled "what is a person?"

And I posted there. Sorry if you missed it.

Is a fetus a human?

I've already said no. Several times. So either take the time to read my posts or don't, because having to repeat myself is a total waste of time.

This is why we have to have this discussion to avoid talking past one another.

:rotfl: Rich coming from you. See above.

I refer to them as humans because that is what they objectively and indisputably are.

And I would disagree. So yeah, this is very much a disputable issue.

What does "humanity" mean to you?

Self-awareness might be a good place to start. Or a consistent habit of erring...:think:

If "human" and "human being" seems interchangeable and the above is also true then a fetus demonstrably is a person and a human being because they are undeniably human (noun).

I see, so now you're willing to play the P Word. This boils down to usage: "You're only human" isn't the same as "you're only a human being."

You want to label a fetus a "clump of cells" but is that scientifically precise? I think we can do better.

Then ask an OB-GYN. In layman's terms I think the phrase works just fine.

So, when does a human progress beyond "clump of cell" stage and how are the semantics relevant to abortion?

As I have said--before--I believe personhood is recognizable and undeniable when brain waves/heart beat are first detected. (I actually said this on your personhood thread. Did you not even check there?)

I said earlier, "There is a differentiation to be made between what is human matter and what is a human. A fetus (fertilized egg, blastocysts etc) is a human, albeit at the earliest stage(s) of development."

Yeah. I know. You have a godawful habit of repeating yourself, and now you're quoting yourself. We've crossed into the surreal.

WizardofOz

You pit them against each other when you declare that since a mother has moral worth and the unborn does not, or does but to a lesser degree, and can therefore be unnecessarily killed. You are pitting their worth against each other, despite the fact that the mother is not being threatened in any way. She is only inconvenienced for a few months....at worst.

This perceived inconvenience, which is most likely due directly to willful actions of the mother, is insufficient to allow the unnecessary killing of the unborn.
Nature simply puts them in such relative positions....the woman simply acts in accordance to her rights. You're selling this so-call "pitting" scenario simply because it befits your agenda for high emotional appeal.

:rolleyes:

You're not following along. You said earlier: "I'm disputing the de facto assumption/implication that a human blastocyst is morally equal to that of fully developed humans."

You are trying to create a strawman out of the "pitting" scenario by insisting that my argument must imply that a human blastocyst is morally equal a fully developed human.

However, unless we are choosing the life of the blastocyst over the life of the mother (rather than the inconvenience, etc of the mother) then no such moral equivalent must be argued, your attempts to strawman aside.

You, on the other hand, say I am selling a pitting argument for emotional appeal while conceding the point by stating that "nature simply puts them in such relative positions". So, you're really playing all the possible angles on this one.

There is simply no question as to abort when this "inconvenience" exist as a danger to the mother's life....

Tougher to defend the elective abortions that make up 97% of all abortions though, hmm? :think:

How many abortions are carried out that are deemed a medical necessity?

moreover, many choicers as well as lifers also agree the same when said conception is beget from violence/incest. You're position is fraught with inconsistencies and overwrought drama.

More argumentum ad populum. What inconsistencies?

You simply want to morally dictate a woman's volition when the circumstances of her choice don't morally align to your self-serving moral view.

And after 26 weeks, the majority of pro-choice individuals likewise want to "morally dictate a woman's volition when the circumstances of her choice don't morally align to your self-serving moral view".

Or, is it different when they do it?

"Inconvenience" is simply your subjective and conveniently diminishing spin on the issue...It's much more than this to a woman who's making the choice.

Semantics. Call pregnancy whatever you find pleasing, whether an inconvenience or something else. It simply isn't a risk to her life. What term can you think of that better describes a pregnancy than "inconvenience"?

"It's much more"? What is it then, exactly?

You're good at disagreeing with points without actually making any of your own.

quip said:
I've not presented a full-on argument.
My point
Rather moot one at that...but if it feeds the ego......:idunno:
:chuckle:
How does pointing out that you have not presented an argument feed my ego? Did it feed your ego when you agreed with me that you indeed have not?

Why is it immoral to abort a 27 week old fetus, quip? Let's talk about your moral proscriptions for a change and we'll see how your attempted deconstructing goes.
Red herrings only illustrate the deconstructing effect. You're grasping.

Predictably, you're dodging. Why is it immoral to abort a 27-week-old fetus?

How is my asking you a question a red herring? Someone is grasping alright.

Pregnancy is, as well, a rather a unique scenario ....as compared to the other three. Nowhere within the other scenarios is the moral status of the human under question nor physically attached/physically reliant upon it's host. Apple/Oranges.

Another toothless point you've uttered once again.

I noted how abortion is very different than war, capital punishment or self defense. You point out yet another way in which it is different.

Yet, my point is toothless :doh:

The human under question is physically attached/physically reliant upon its host at 27 weeks as well as on day 1 so being reliant really isn't a factor in the point you were grasping at.

:idea: Unless, of course, you would like to tell the majority of pro-choice individuals why abortion should remain legal beyond the 26th week. The fetus is certainly reliant on its host beyond this point yet this is the point where the majority of pro-lifer's position flips to mirror that of their pro-life counterparts.

The ambiguities inherent to the proclamation "killing of a human" are simply and conveniently being ignored by you.

They are not being ignored, there are simply not any compelling counter-argument to be had out of any perceived ambiguities.

Explain why a mother should be legally able to abort the human growing inside of her when the abortion is not a medical necessity.

Let ambiguities be your guide.

quip - you said "you have every moral right to remove an intrusion upon your body."

If you don't actually have a moral right to remove an intrusion then your statement has been debunked by your own logic.

Good job! You finally piece-meal - deconstructed an argument. Sorry that it had to be yours.

Seriously though, this is where pro-choice logic fails and why it is untenable. The "intrusion", as you so eloquently called pregnancy, can be removed until it cannot/should not.

The unborn can be killed...until it can/should not. A pro-choicer can effectively debate and debunk their own position depending on how far along the pregnancy is.

Pro-choice logic eventually deteriorates and the switch is made.
Again, in the real world such principles don't entail simple panaceas.

I never said that they would. Pregnancy is a tough and challenging 9 months to endure, I'm sure. There is no simple solution. I am not here offering a solution or way out of the pregnancy.

As a matter of fact, the simplest panaceas for pregnancy out there is the one you are here defending.

You seem to have the convenient habit of avoiding analogous points by overstating their non-analogous irrelevancies.

Because you overstate irrelevant comparisons. When a pond becomes a lake is a poor comparison to when it becomes immoral to kill an unborn human.

Not being able to say when abortion is moral or immoral only further highlights the untenable nature of the pro-choice position, however, your inability or unwillingness to lay our your own moral proscriptions notwithstanding.

Seriously though, this is where pro-choice logic fails and why it is untenable. The "intrusion", as you so eloquently called pregnancy, can be removed until it cannot/should not.

The unborn can be killed...until it can/should not. A pro-choicer can effectively debate and debunk their own position depending on how far along the pregnancy is.

Pro-choice logic eventually deteriorates and the switch is made. analogies Seriously though, this is where pro-choice logic fails and why it is untenable. The "intrusion", as you so eloquently called pregnancy, can be removed until it cannot/should not.

Pro-choice logic eventually deteriorates and the switch is made.
Again, such principle don't always lend themselves to simplistic panaceas. The only ones naively seeking easy absolute answers are you and your pro-life ilk.

Quite the rebuttal :think:

Logical consistency is suddenly naivety.

Is it immoral to abort at 26 weeks, 25 weeks, 24 weeks? When does the morality change from moral to immoral? That is the distinction this thread is trying to discover.
quip said:
Good question. Kind of like asking at what exact milliliter of water does a pond transpire into a lake. You know what a pond is and likewise what a lake is but that exact moment of transformation is rather elusive.
Another eloquent comparison. Blurring the line between a pond and a lake doesn't result in human death.

Noted is your refusal to address the question. It's there whenever you feel up to it. You said aborting at 27 weeks is immoral so there is a line that is crossed even with your 'who knows' sense of morality.

You're really putting the untenable nature of the pro-choice position on display. When is it immoral to kill a human? You cannot even answer because 'it's like trying to determine when a pond becomes a lake, so :idunno:
And this dodge doesn't make that elusive moment you demand any less elusive.

Nice projection there. I call you out for failing to answer a question and you accuse me of dodging. :plain:

Why is abortion at 27 weeks immoral? Your moral proscriptions are so meaty and thoughtful but mine are naive, toothless, emotional, fraught with inconsistencies yadda yadda yadda...because you say so.

It's a personal choice...and per the nature of such choices (and the nature of pregnancy) vagaries exists.

Engaging in sexual activities that are known to result in pregnancy is the crucial choice that was made. If a woman gets pregnant due to choices she made she should be responsible for the consequence of that choice....like with all other choices adults make.

As far as the law/state is concerned, their "compelling interest" must draw a line somewhere. Hence, the fervor over where this line should be (or exist at all).

And we both agree that no line should exist at all so this argument is waste of both our time.

This "precedent" is temporarily assigned and granted only under specific legal circumstances. The brute fact that such legislation is itself promulgated logically infers that the residing status of the unborn is not one consisting of unalienable personhood. What you seek is unassailable black and white answers to a issue that cannot have one...you simply contradicted yourself by the very evidence you presented. Sorry if you can't see the inherent contradiction you painted yourself in the corner with....but don't blame me for your shortcomings.

I have hardly painted myself in a corner nor have I contradicted myself, your stale declarations notwithstanding.

I brought the point up to show that all unborn are granted legal personhood (in some cases/in some jurisdictions). Do you agree that a zygote, for example, should be granted legal personhood in any case?

What the law is isn't the point and never was. I know the law does not agree with my position :duh:. That you think yet another logical fallacy (appeal to authority) will help you here only shows how inept you are at actually constructing and presenting arguments.

IMJerusha

So does proscribing abortion...so what's your god's answer to this conundrum?

What consequence comes with proscribing abortion? What conundrum comes from obedience to God? Are you male or female, Quip? Do you understand the consequence of abortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.