Practise the Trinity Everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyStan

I am not seeking to debate the Trinity. I am fully 100% convinced of the Trinity. The Trinity is not just a doctrine for academic textbooks or theology students. The Trinity is what I practice everyday. This is especially so in prayer to the Father in Jesus name through the Holy Spirit. My observation of the complete focus on Jesus at church, especially in worship, is out of focus with the New Testament witness. Let the church practise the same Trinitarian balance shown in the New Testament.

Last edited:

BoyStan

I seek to believe and practise what the New Testament says Christians ought to believe and practise. The word 'trinity' does not appear in the New Testament. But the evidence for the Trinity is overwhelming. I am not saying that I understand the Trinity, but that is no reason to reject the doctrine of the Trinity. The Godhead is a mystery but we have been given some light on it in scripture. The term 'calvinist' is not found in the scriptures. It is a label with a very bad reputation by many Christians today. The anti-calvinists seem to show a great ignorance and misunderstanding of scripture. The doctrine of salvation found in calvinism matches what the Bible teaches about salvation. I do not call myself a 'calvinist'. But if some people think I am a 'calvinist' because I hold the doctrine of the Trinity and seek to practise it everyday then I am not concerned.

csuguy

I seek to believe and practise what the New Testament says Christians ought to believe and practise. The word 'trinity' does not appear in the New Testament. But the evidence for the Trinity is overwhelming. I am not saying that I understand the Trinity, but that is no reason to reject the doctrine of the Trinity. The Godhead is a mystery but we have been given some light on it in scripture. The term 'calvinist' is not found in the scriptures. It is a label with a very bad reputation by many Christians today. The anti-calvinists seem to show a great ignorance and misunderstanding of scripture. The doctrine of salvation found in calvinism matches what the Bible teaches about salvation. I do not call myself a 'calvinist'. But if some people think I am a 'calvinist' because I hold the doctrine of the Trinity and seek to practise it everyday then I am not concerned.

What are you accepting if you don't understand the matter at hand? Of what use or merit is affirming a doctrine that you don't comprehend?

More generally, what do you think is the purpose of belief? Do you think God judges us by whether or not we affirm the correct doctrines? By our comprehension of said doctrine? Or, rather, is not the purpose of belief to guide our actions? Is it not our actions, rather than our beliefs, that we are judged by?

James 2:16-20 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]?​

It is fine if you don't want to debate; just some food for thought.

BoyStan

I accept and affirm the doctrine of the Trinity; the New Testament evidence for the Trinity is overwhelming. The doctrine of the Trinity gives us a trustworthy insight into the glory of God. The doctrine of the Trinity is uniquely Christian; Jesus introduced the world to the Trinity; Jesus welcomed us into the love, grace and fellowship of the Trinity. I cannot ever fully comprehend the Trinity, however my heart will forever exalt in our glorious trinitarian God:Father, Son and Holy Spirit!

csuguy

I accept and affirm the doctrine of the Trinity; the New Testament evidence for the Trinity is overwhelming. The doctrine of the Trinity gives us a trustworthy insight into the glory of God. The doctrine of the Trinity is uniquely Christian; Jesus introduced the world to the Trinity; Jesus welcomed us into the love, grace and fellowship of the Trinity. I cannot ever fully comprehend the Trinity, however my heart will forever exalt in our glorious trinitarian God:Father, Son and Holy Spirit!

You say that so confidently after stating just a little earlier that you don't understand the Trinity. From where does this confidence that the scriptures teach the Trinity so clearly arise? Are you sure you aren't simply repeating what others have stated with equal conviction and lack of understanding?

I myself was raised Trinitarian and went to great lengths to defend it. But when all was said and done, when I truly took the time to study the scriptures, the writings of the Church Fathers, to acquire my own Bachelors in Religious Studies, etc. it was clear that the neither the scriptures nor the early church taught the Trinity. Indeed, there are far more scriptures that conflict with the Trinity doctrine than support it. For instance...

1 Cor 15:20-28 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he “has put everything under his feet.”[c] Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.​

This is a good one for it both distinguishes Christ from God ('God' not 'Father') and makes clear that Jesus is/will be subject to God (aka, not equal). The usual un-biblical response that Jesus was only temporarily lower than God is here demolished, for this is future. I've presented this verse on this site many times and not once has any Trinitarian been able to give an intellectually honest account for this passage that reconciles with the Trinity. Typically it is ignored in favor of some non-sense like "all of scripture teaches the Trinity, so that one must too!" Circular-argument.

TrevorL

Greetings BoyStan,
I appreciate your claim to steadfastly accept and affirm the doctrine of the Trinity. For my part I believe that there is one God, the Father and that our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The Holy Spirit is the power of God.

Kind regards
Trevor

marhig

You say that so confidently after stating just a little earlier that you don't understand the Trinity. From where does this confidence that the scriptures teach the Trinity so clearly arise? Are you sure you aren't simply repeating what others have stated with equal conviction and lack of understanding?

I myself was raised Trinitarian and went to great lengths to defend it. But when all was said and done, when I truly took the time to study the scriptures, the writings of the Church Fathers, to acquire my own Bachelors in Religious Studies, etc. it was clear that the neither the scriptures nor the early church taught the Trinity. Indeed, there are far more scriptures that conflict with the Trinity doctrine than support it. For instance...

1 Cor 15:20-28 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he “has put everything under his feet.”[c] Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.​

This is a good one for it both distinguishes Christ from God ('God' not 'Father') and makes clear that Jesus is/will be subject to God (aka, not equal). The usual un-biblical response that Jesus was only temporarily lower than God is here demolished, for this is future. I've presented this verse on this site many times and not once has any Trinitarian been able to give an intellectually honest account for this passage that reconciles with the Trinity. Typically it is ignored in favor of some non-sense like "all of scripture teaches the Trinity, so that one must too!" Circular-argument.

You're so right, i see verse after verse that shows to me that there's no trinity, it's been placed so central to the teachings of many churches that people just can't see how many verses contradict it. Others even call those who don't believe the trinity, heretics, yet nowhere in the Bible are we told that we are to believe in it or that believing in the trinity saves us. There's no God the son and there are so many verses that show that Jesus is under subjection to God it's unbelievable. He even says that God is his God, and that there is only one true God and Jesus Christ whom he has sent. How much clearer do people need it. They are Jesus's own words yet we're wrong. It's just unbelievable, but I suppose that until God opens The eyes and ears that none of us can see and hear, even when it's so clear.

Look at Revelation 1:1

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John

And this, the apostle Peter

1 Peter 1

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

The apostle Paul

Ephesians 1

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places*in Christ

And further down the chapter

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him

1 Corinthians 8

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

2 Corinthians 1

Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort

Jude

Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.

And further down the chapter

turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ

James

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting

And people bring up Hebrews 1:8

But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

But then look straight after at Hebrews 1:9

Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

I can go on and on, but I just wanted to show that even the apostles say that God is the God of Jesus Christ. It even says in the Bible that the head of Christ is God.

I just don't get how people can't see it, it's clear as day. There is no trinity and no God the son anywhere at all in the Bible, everywhere it is God the father and Jesus Christ the son of God, yet apparently I'm wrong for not believing in the trinity? I believe in what Jesus said, that God is his God and father, and he said that eternal life is this to know you the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. And I do know both of them, God and Christ

And I can carry on with scripture after scripture.

Last edited:

beameup

The Old Testament reveals the existence of the Godhead:
The Second Person of the Godhead is always the one appearing
to mankind and interacting with him.
The Second Person of the Godhead has human-like physical attributes.
He appears as The Angel of the LORD,The Captain of the LORD's Host
and is referred to as the Arm of the LORD orGod's Outstretched Arm
or the Son of God. In the New Testament he is named Jesus (Yeshua).

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Colossians 1:15 (New American Standard Bible)
15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

I guess that means that Jesus can't be God.

Jesus is the firstborn of all creation in what context?

marhig

How can Christ be God if God created him?

Colossians 3

Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

That new man is Christ in us and through us.

Romans 13

But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Colossians 2

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:

marhig

Colossians 2:9 NET For in him all the fullness of deity lives in bodily form.

Why do you believe that means Jesus is God? It means that Jesus was in the fullness of God in bodily form, because he was full of the holy spirit, and that he was in the express image of God, God being in his fullness through Jesus Christ. Because Jesus didn't live after his will but the will of God, never letting Satan in, and we saw God fully through him.

2 Corinthians 5

To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Last edited:

marhig

I am not seeking to debate the Trinity. I am fully 100% convinced of the Trinity. The Trinity is not just a doctrine for academic textbooks or theology students. The Trinity is what I practice everyday. This is especially so in prayer to the Father in Jesus name through the Holy Spirit. My observation of the complete focus on Jesus at church, especially in worship, is out of focus with the New Testament witness. Let the church practise the same Trinitarian balance shown in the New Testament.
Hi, going from the title of this thread, can you show where it says in the Bible that we are to practise the trinity every day please? I haven't seen anything like that in the Bible, but I have seen where Jesus told us to pray to the father every day, not to a trinity or any other God or Gods.

To me there is overwhelming proof in the scriptures that God is the God of Jesus Christ with Jesus even saying so himself, and they say that Jesus is the son of God not God the son which isn't in the Bible once.

marhig

If A = B does B = A?

Jesus' God and our God is the Most High, which is a comparative term.
Jesus's God and our God is the most high God yes, but Jesus isn't God, the father is. Because Jesus is subject to God and God has exhalted Jesus to his right hand. God is also the head of Christ, making God the God of Jesus.

Jamie, what do you believe that Jesus meant when he said, i go to my father and your father, my God and your God. Also, life eternal is this, to know YOU the only true God and Jesus Christ whom YOU have sent?

Status
Not open for further replies.