Odd thing for a Christian to say about the Koran

chair

i don't find it odd. It is OK to respect someone else's religion or holy books. Respect does not mean agreement.

Danoh

I wonder how many have actually read the Koran (only 150 pages or so; in English).

Much of it is warmed over Moses and Paul together with other traditions.

Thus, as Paul might say of some of its content - "this witness is true..."

Without compromise.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why would anyone want to read it?

Having dabbled in Sufism in the 70's, after I became a Christian in 79' I wanted to learn about all false endeavors I'd been involved in, in order to understand where I'd come from. Also, it seemed to me that if I was going to preach Christ crucified, I would be better equipped by understanding the people with whom I'd be speaking in order to know their perspective.
I began to notice that Islam was potentially a global threat in the 80's an so I read the Koran in order to understand more about them. I also studied history and how Islam ruled much of the known world for 800 years and that they intend to regain power and rule the world. I found it also interesting concerning their eschatology with regard to the coming of Matrieya, the 12th Imam, having known about the concept through Theosophy, etc.

I think it's important to know one's enemy.

"We are not ignorant of his devices."- Apostle Paul

Danoh

Having dabbled in Sufism in the 70's, after I became a Christian in 79' I wanted to learn about all false endeavors I'd been involved in, in order to understand where I'd come from. Also, it seemed to me that if I was going to preach Christ crucified, I would be better equipped by understanding the people with whom I'd be speaking in order to know their perspective.
I began to notice that Islam was potentially a global threat in the 80's an so I read the Koran in order to understand more about them. I also studied history and how Islam ruled much of the known world for 800 years and that they intend to regain power and rule the world. I found it also interesting concerning their eschatology with regard to the coming of Matrieya, the 12th Imam, having known about the concept through Theosophy, etc.

I think it's important to know one's enemy.

"We are not ignorant of his devices."- Apostle Paul

Yep and yep!

Try sharing the gospel of the grace of God with a Muslim without knowing their book.

In fact, one of them once asked me if I believed the Koran is the word of God.

I said no.

How do I know, he asked.

'Because I have read it - as much as you guys talk against Paul, he is quoted throughout your Koran some - six hundred years after he wrote he was the last to receive revelation from God.'

The guy then asked me "where does Sir Jesus say that He is God?"

When I showed him - in John - he replied "well, your Paul wrote that."

They don't know my Bible. Plain and simple.

I then reminded him he forgot to add the words "peace be upon him" each time he had used their phrase "Sir Jesus."

We both laughed at his carelessness and went from there.

Neither of us has won the other over.

At the same time; he always hears me out.

I asked him why one time.

"Because we respect that you were curious enough about us to bother to find out.."

Who knows...as Paul put it...

1 Corinthians 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Apple7

This is a very deadly mistake. No other book, so perfectly, blasphemes the work of Christ on the Cross, as the Qu'ran.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

The authors of the Koran merely paraphrased Biblical material in the construction of their opus.

The Koran actually confirms Jesus' crucifixion until death upon The Cross.

It is only ignorant islam which attempts to deny this fact....and those that they can persuade to buy into the lie...

Apple7

i don't find it odd. It is OK to respect someone else's religion or holy books. Respect does not mean agreement.

Just like we can respect the fact that your Tanak is a veritable clinic on how the ancient Jews improperly worshiped God as Triune, and, instead, turned to worshiping demons and idols...

Apple7

I wonder how many have actually read the Koran (only 150 pages or so; in English).

Much of it is warmed over Moses and Paul together with other traditions.

Thus, as Paul might say of some of its content - "this witness is true..."

Without compromise.

I have read the Koran numerous times and studied it in Arabic for the past 20+ years.

It was written by early Arab Christians in the first place, placed out of order, set to rhyme.....and that is why it is so misunderstood.

musterion

i don't find it odd. It is OK to respect someone else's religion or holy books.

You mean the way we should respect Talmudic tradition that it is not adultery to participate in sodomy with your neighbor's wife? You fail.

chair

You mean the way we should respect Talmudic tradition that it is not adultery to participate in sodomy with your neighbor's wife? You fail.

You dug that up from some antisemtic site. You have no idea what the Talmud is, or what it actually says- but you'll believe anything negative about Jews.

chair

You deny the Talmud teaches it?

What it actually says is here. It is part of a discussion, and raised as a possible way of understanding a verse. However, the question is whether a non-Jew is punished for having sodomy with his neighbors wife.

These anti-Talmud things are taken out of context. They are part of a texual discussion, and not necessarily the way the discussion ends, or what is considered acceptable behavior.

musterion

What it actually says is here.

Learn to pay attention to your own footnotes.

19. A variant reading of this passage is: Is there anything permitted to a Jew which is forbidden to a heathen. Unnatural connection is permitted to a Jew.

20. By taking the two in conjunction, the latter as illustrating the former, we learn that the guilt of violating the injunction 'to his wife but not to his neighbour's wife' is incurred only for natural, but not unnatural intercourse.

So Jewish men are allowed by the Talmud to engage in sodomy with the wife of a neighbor. Thanks for documenting the point.

chair

Learn to pay attention to your own footnotes.

So Jewish men are allowed by the Talmud to engage in sodomy with the wife of a neighbor. Thanks for documenting the point.

1. It is not "allowed". The question is - can you be punished for it
2. There are all sorts of odd things in the Talmud, as part of an intellectual discussion based on the Bible and other texts. Not every thing that is in there is what Jews do. That in fact would be impossible, as there are contradictory opinions on nearly everything.
3. Do you think your own holy books are free of odd things? Did you notice that Jesus calls Gentiles "dogs"?

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
The authors of the Koran merely paraphrased Biblical material in the construction of their opus.

The Koran actually confirms Jesus' crucifixion until death upon The Cross.

It is only ignorant islam which attempts to deny this fact....and those that they can persuade to buy into the lie...

This is false.....

Sarah Mary:

And they took, besides God, other gods, to be for them a source of strength.
82. By no means! They will reject their worship of them, and become opponents to them.
83. Have you not considered how We dispatch the devils against the disbelievers, exciting them with incitement?
84. So do not hurry against them. We are counting for them a countdown.
85. On the Day when We will gather the righteous to the Most Merciful, as guests.
86. And herd the sinners into hell, like animals to water.
87. They will have no power of intercession, except for someone who has an agreement with the Most Merciful.
88. And they say, “The Most Merciful has begotten a son.”
89. You have come up with something monstrous.
90. At which the heavens almost rupture, and the earth splits, and the mountains fall and crumble.
91. Because they attribute a son to the Most Merciful.
92. It is not fitting for the Most Merciful to have a son.
93. There is none in the heavens and the earth but will come to the Most Merciful as a servant.
94. He has enumerated them, and counted them one by one.
95. And each one of them will come to Him on the Day of Resurrection alone.
96. Those who believe and do righteous deeds, the Most Merciful will give them love.
97. We made it easy in your tongue, in order to deliver good news to the righteous, and to warn with it a hostile people.
98. How many a generation have We destroyed before them? Can you feel a single one of them, or hear from them the slightest whisper?

Islam goes on to say that Jesus did not die on the cross, but exposes that He never died. They have set up for a false Jesus to return that never died on the cross, and prove gates the hate that Islamic Scholars who understand the Hadith and Qu'ran propagate.

Christians that hate, don't get Jesus, but Muslims that Love, don't get Mohammed and ALLAH.

Do you understand what these Qu'Ranic verses are saying?

You can check me online.

I have quoted the qu'ran.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

musterion

1. It is not "allowed". The question is - can you be punished for it

If you can't be punished for it, it's allowed.

2. There are all sorts of odd things in the Talmud

Indeed, like being allowed to sodomize your neighbor's wife without sin. And as you well know, that is NOT the most horrifying thing found in the Talmud, not by a long shot.

chair

If you can't be punished for it, it's allowed.

That is not the case at all. Many things are forbidden, but are not punishable. But you would need to actually know something about the Talmud and Jewish law to understand that.

rather obviously, you are more interested in knocking Jews and the Talmud than actually understanding anything about us. So we can end this conversation. You can congratulate yourself on "winning" , if you like. It will do your ego a lot of good, so you can remain steeped in ignorance and hatred, and feel good about it too!

Enjoy.