New poll finds California voters resoundingly oppose cash reparations for slavery

Jasmine

This bill has about as much chance as Biden has of getting reelected.

California voters oppose the idea of the state offering cash payments to the descendants of enslaved African Americans by a 2-to-1 margin, according to the results of a new poll that foreshadows the political difficulty ahead next year when state lawmakers begin to consider reparations for slavery.

The UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll, co-sponsored by The Times, found that 59% of voters oppose cash payments compared with 28% who support the idea. The lack of support for cash reparations was resounding, with more than 4 in 10 voters “strongly” opposed.

“It has a steep uphill climb, at least from the public’s point of view,” said Mark DiCamillo, director of the IGS poll.

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom and state lawmakers created California’s Reparations Task Force in 2020 with the goal of establishing a path to reparations that could serve as a model for the nation. After two years of deliberations, the task force sent a final report and recommendations this summer to the state Capitol, where Newsom and the Democratic-led Legislature will ultimately decide how the state should atone for slavery.

The conclusion of the task force’s work places political pressure on Democrats to deliver on a process they started, but the unpopularity of cash payments suggests they’ll face strong political head winds.

State Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Gardena), who served on the task force, said he wasn’t surprised by the poll results.

“It speaks to the miseducation of most Americans when it comes to slavery and the impact that it had on this country and the impact that it still has on African Americans

Eric h

On April 16, 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill emancipating enslaved people in Washington, the end of a long struggle. But to ease slaveowners’ pain, the District of Columbia Emancipation Act paid those loyal to the Union up to $300 for every enslaved person freed. Worth around $9,000 today

That’s right, slaveowners got reparations. Enslaved African-Americans got nothing for their generations of stolen bodies, snatched children and expropriated labor other than their mere release from legal bondage.

The compensation clause is not likely to be celebrated today. But as the debate about reparations for slavery intensifies, it is important to remember that slaveowners, far more than enslaved people, were always the primary beneficiaries of public largess.

As a side note, Abraham Lincoln, was in the party which became republican.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
On April 16, 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill emancipating enslaved people in Washington, the end of a long struggle. But to ease slaveowners’ pain, the District of Columbia Emancipation Act paid those loyal to the Union up to $300 for every enslaved person freed. Worth around $9,000 today

That’s right, slaveowners got reparations. Enslaved African-Americans got nothing for their generations of stolen bodies, snatched children and expropriated labor other than their mere release from legal bondage.

The compensation clause is not likely to be celebrated today. But as the debate about reparations for slavery intensifies, it is important to remember that slaveowners, far more than enslaved people, were always the primary beneficiaries of public largess.

Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, to Nancy and Thomas Lincoln in a one-room log cabin in Hardin County, Kentucky. His family moved to southern Indiana in 1816. Lincoln’s formal schooling was limited to three brief periods in local schools, as he had to work constantly to support his family.

(Source: https://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/abraham-lincoln)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Dude, even if former slave owners immorally got tax money for losing their slaves, they're all dead. If you can't let it go, all you are doing is perpetuating hate.

Jasmine

. . . . slaveowners got reparations. . . .

Did you know that similar slave issues in the western hemisphere were done away with using buy-outs (money) instead of bloody wars? If we could have ended slavery buy buying out the slave owners instead of engaging in a bloody civil war that would have been far far better. It sounds to me that you prefer war and carnage over a simple buy out. Are you also angry that we gave Russia money for Alaska? Maybe we should have went to war instead?

Your post is ridiculous.

And besides, California was never a slave state, so ripping off California tax payers over reparations is plain stupid on too many levels.

7djengo7

And besides, California was never a slave state, so ripping off California tax payers over reparations is plain stupid on too many levels.
In fact, by carrying out their desired theft/wealth-redistribution policies such as their falsely-named "reparations", they'd be making California into a slave state. But commies never are honest enough to call the victims of their predations, "slaves"...or even to call their victims, "victims".

Eric h

Dude, even if former slave owners immorally got tax money for losing their slaves, they're all dead. If you can't let it go, all you are doing is perpetuating hate.

The slaves should have been paid the reparation money, NOT the slave owners. The slaves were forcefully taken from their country, and abused.

If you think it is okay for slave owners to be paid reparation, the slaves should have been compensated too.

I am perpetrating the need for justice, not hate.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The slaves should have been paid the reparation money, NOT the slave owners. The slaves were forcefully taken from their country, and abused.
Most slaves were native born. In many cases, slaves were considered members of the family and suffered no more abuse than other family members. They were fed, clothed and housed.
If you think it is okay for slave owners to be paid reparation, the slaves should have been compensated too.
They were. They were given their freedom.
You are delusional

ok doser

Consider Barry Hussein Sotero, often described by the retarded left as America's first "black" president. His negro father came to America in 1959, long after slavery had ended. His Caucasian mother's side of the family, on the other hand, came to America in the early 1800 and owned slaves.

Or Kackling Kamala Harris, whose mother came to America from India, and whose "black" father came to America long after slavery was abolished, but whose grandfather owned slaves in Jamaica.

Eric h

Did you know that similar slave issues in the western hemisphere were done away with using buy-outs
Yes, it happened in the UK, where I am from. The government borrowed money in 1833 to pay off the slave owners, and the UK finally paid of that debt in 2015. Throughout my fifty five years of work, some of my taxes were used to pay off slave owners. To say this make me feel sick is an understatement. I would have been far happier had my tax money been used to compensate those forced into slavery.
If we could have ended slavery buy buying out the slave owners instead of engaging in a bloody civil war that would have been far far better.
If you are talking hypothetically, which you are, it would have been far better never to have forced people into slavery in the first place. Then we would not have had the civil war, or taken over a hundred years to pay the debt.

7djengo7

I am perpetrating the need for justice,
LOL @ "perpetrating".

Get a time machine if you want to force wealth out of the hands of victimizers who have long since died and to give it to their victims who have long since died.
not hate.
You are perpetrating hating whitey. And doing that is not a black (or any other color) thing to do; rather, it's a commie thing to do.

Why do you hate white people so much, commie strife-stirrer?

Last edited:

7djengo7

Throughout my fifty five years of work, some of my taxes were used to pay off slave owners.
Name those "slave owners", and tell us in what years they were born.
To say this make me feel sick is an understatement. I would have been far happier had my tax money been used to compensate those forced into slavery.
Name "those forced into slavery", and tell us in what years they were born.

Eric h

Most slaves were native born. In many cases, slaves were considered members of the family and suffered no more abuse than other family members. They were fed, clothed and housed.
Do a google search of how slaves were treated, and it's not the rosy picture you paint. They were forcefully taken from their native country, about two million died from the brutality and harsh conditions of the slave ships. About 388,00 Africans were shipped directly to North America, over a period of around three hundred years. Slavery lasted for many generations, so as you say, the majority were born in the US.

The treatment of slaves in the United States often included sexual abuse and rape, the denial of education, and punishments like whippings. Families were often split up by the sale of one or more members, usually never to see or hear of each other again.
slaves were considered members of the family and suffered no more abuse than other family members. They were fed, clothed and housed.

I can see you would like to live the life of a slave, they had it good.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The slaves should have been paid the reparation money, NOT the slave owners.
The dead people who you want to compensate are dead. You can't do it. It's physically impossible.

The slaves were forcefully taken from their country, and abused.
Yes, it's very sad. But just because we can't compensate the victims doesn't mean we wanted them to be victims. You are implying that we are for chattel slavery. Are you saying people that have a good reason to ignore present day reparations are not against slavery?

So your solution is to heap hate on people that are not responsible for the decision to compensate former slave owners for the loss of their slaves?

That would be wrong just like compensating former slave owners is wrong.

You are supporting only hate by implying people not responsible must pay the penalty for those that are responsible. You cannot exact justice on dead people no matter how much you want to, and exacting justice on those not responsible is hateful.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, it happened in the UK, where I am from. The government borrowed money in 1833 to pay off the slave owners, and the UK finally paid of that debt in 2015. Throughout my fifty five years of work, some of my taxes were used to pay off slave owners. To say this make me feel sick is an understatement.
Then you are unreasonable. First, there is nothing you can do about the past except to learn from it. The only lesson you can learn from it is to hate chattel slavery and don't support it, which is what we do.

Secondly, payments are better than violence. Christ paid for our sins instead of exacting the violent punishment we should have received. Learn from the example of Jesus.

I would have been far happier had my tax money been used to compensate those forced into slavery.
We'd all be happier if bad things weren't done but good things were. Implying we should hate people in response to bad things done in history that no one can do anything about perpetuates the bad things.

If you are talking hypothetically, which you are, it would have been far better never to have forced people into slavery in the first place. Then we would not have had the civil war, or taken over a hundred years to pay the debt.
You need to learn from the wrongs done in the past, not perpetuate them like you seem to be doing now.

Last edited:

ok doser

Sellers can only sell to someone who wants to buy, that would be American slave owners.
American slave owners, British slave owners, French slave owners, Arab slave owners, Asian slave owners, African slave owners, indigenous slave owners.

Our experience with slavery was unique not in that we had a society that accepted slavery as a normal, but in that we decided that it was not normal and must be ended.

Eric h

The dead people who you want to compensate are dead. You can't do it. It's physically impossible.
I have paid UK tax for fifty years, part of my tax money went to compensate slave owners for their loss of revenue. These slave owners have been dead for a hundred years, but I have been paying dead people compensation until 2015.

Taking that into account, I would be happy that some of my tax money today, in some way compensated descendants of slavery today.

If slave owners are caught today, I would not want them to be compensated, I would want them to pay for their crimes. What is right and just today, was also right and just in the past.

ok doser

Taking that into account, I would be happy that some of my tax money today, in some way compensated descendants of slavery today.
My family was involved in the abolitionist movement since back into the middle of the 18th century. They fought in the American Civil War to abolish slavery and have been involved in progressive (Northern) racial issues for generations.

I would be happy for you to give me some of your tax money to compensate me for the efforts of my ancestors. 😁