Melchizedek: King and Priest of Salem (Jerusalem)

beameup

I don't think that's an option. The pre-requisite to being part of the order of Melchizedek is that you have to be king.

Show me where that is written that "Kingship" is a prerequisite?
Just what ORDER of "priests" would the Israeli males be in the Millennial Kingdom?
And ye shall be unto me a Kingdom of Priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. - Exodus 19:6

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think that's an option. The pre-requisite to being part of the order of Melchizedek is that you have to be king.
Hmm.
You might have something there.

Revelation 1:6 KJV
(6) And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 5:10 KJV
(10) And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

1 Peter 2:9 KJV
(9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

daqq

Except for Melichizedek. And Jethro. And...

Do you suppose that "Yithrow" might actually be a title? That would be, "His Excellence", (Yithrow), that is, Raguel. In Tobit Raguel has a wife whose name is Edna which is the same name as the wife of Enoch, (Edna seems to be a form of Eden). In 1Enoch Raguel is one of the seven holy Elohim-Angels who Watch. Moshe marries one of the seven daughters of Raguel and her name is Tsipporah, (one of "seven little birdies"), and thus Moshe is of the order of MelkiTzedek also by way of marriage to one of the seven tsipporim of Raguel. That is why Ahron is never called haKohen haGadol and probably why the term, (which term includes either gadol in Hebrew or megas in Greek), is never used in the Gospel accounts for Ananus or Kaiaphas but rather only found later in the epistle to the Hebrews, (αρχιερεα μεγαν, Heb 4:14, and ιερεα μεγαν, Heb 10:21).

beameup

Melchizedek was alive in the first century.

Hebrews 7:8 "Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives."

God spake unto him [Moses], saying, I AM the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. - Mark 12:26b-27

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
God spake unto him [Moses], saying, I AM the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. - Mark 12:26b-27

Hebrews 9:27-28 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation."

Do you believe Abraham, Isaac, Jacob were men? If they were they died but their eternal life is held in trust by Jesus and will be awarded to them at the first resurrection. Then they can never die again.

Wick Stick

Hmm.
You might have something there.

Revelation 1:6 KJV
(6) And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 5:10 KJV
(10) And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

1 Peter 2:9 KJV
(9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
You've got me there!

Now, are we all individual kings and priests, or are we kings and priests to the extent that our individual identity is forfeited under the headship of Christ, the singular king and priest?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You've got me there!

Now, are we all individual kings and priests, or are we kings and priests to the extent that our individual identity is forfeited under the headship of Christ, the singular king and priest?
I bet one could twist it either way.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Is there an actual "ORDER OF MELCHISEDEK" or is the word 'order' meant to be a term of analogy, as in 'like, after the fashion of, etc.?

If there exists an actual "ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK", is Melchizedek the first/arche/protos/head in that "ORDER" and the Lord Jesus second in line in that "ORDER" or... is Christ, as Hebrews emphasizes, superior to all people, systems, priests and things?

I don't believe that there exists an official "ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK" of which "ORDER" the LORD Jesus Christ is but a member on the same level as others such as the man and King of ancient Jerusalem, Melchizedek.

Ben Masada

I'm of the OPINION that "Melchizedek" is none other than, Christ Himself.

The Truth About Melchizedek

Here is a column which I consider will crack under the building of Christianity. Who was Melchizedek? This man was a pagan Canaanite king, who happened to be the king of Salem, ancient name for Jerusalem.

Abram had just returned from a battle with five kings, and, on his way to Beersheba, he paused in Jerusalem for a repast. He and his men were tired and weary of the military campaign. Melchizedek, afraid perhaps that Abram would take on him too and conquer Jerusalem out of his hands, immediately brought forth bread and wine to him and his troops. For Abram, it was a relieve. He didn't have to fight another king.

Now, please, I must remind you that I am reading from the originals in Hebrew and not from the Gentile adulterated version of the KJV. Why would Melchizedek prefer to feed Abram and his army instead of fighting him? Because he, Abram, and not Melchizedek was the priest of God most High, whose seed would be of a nation of priests and kings. (Exodus 19:6; Isaiah 61:6)

Then, as Melchizedek served the food and drink, he blessed Abram. Please focus on how he blessed Abram. "Blessed be Abram of God Most High." It means that Melchizedek would recognize that Abram was the one Priest of God the Most High. Creator of the universe." Then, for all the bread and wine, and that blessing of recognition of who Abram really was, Abram shared with him a tenth of the spoils taken from the kings in battle.

Now, let us check Psalm 110:4, which in the KJV says, "The Lord has sworn and will not repent, you are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." This is a Christian gloss plagiarized by Paul and grossly forged by the Church in the 4th Century under the excuse of pious forgery.

Here is what Psalm 110:4 says in the originals in Hebrew: "The Lord has sworn and will not relent, you are a priest forever; a rightful king by My decree." As you can see, it has nothing to do with king Melchizedek, king of Salem, but rather to David in the type level of interpretation, which points to the archetype level of Israel, the seed of Abraham as a nation of priests and kings. (Exodus 19:6; Isaiah 61:6) Obviously, only the High Priest of the Most High would produce a generation of priests and kings through Israel.

Ben Masada

Is there an actual "ORDER OF MELCHISEDEK" or is the word 'order' meant to be a term of analogy, as in 'like, after the fashion of, etc.?

If there exists an actual "ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK", is Melchizedek the first/arche/protos/head in that "ORDER" and the Lord Jesus second in line in that "ORDER" or... is Christ, as Hebrews emphasizes, superior to all people, systems, priests and things?

I don't believe that there exists an official "ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK" of which "ORDER" the LORD Jesus Christ is but a member on the same level as others such as the man and King of ancient Jerusalem, Melchizedek.

If there is an actual Order of Melchizedek, it has nothing to do with the pagan priest of Jerusalem of the time of Abraham.

Ben Masada

The rabbinical tradition has been that Melchizedek was Shem, who would have been alive during the time of Abraham.

For this Melchizedek, King of Salem, Priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him - Hebrews 7:1

To offer the firstborn child of a family to Baal Molech the god of the Canaanites was the tradition of the time. I can't imagine how many children this Melchizedek slaughtered to offer on the fire to Molech.

Wick Stick

Do you suppose that "Yithrow" might actually be a title? That would be, "His Excellence", (Yithrow), that is, Raguel.
A name in Genesis that's more than a name? You don't say!

In Tobit Raguel has a wife whose name is Edna which is the same name as the wife of Enoch, (Edna seems to be a form of Eden). In 1Enoch Raguel is one of the seven holy Elohim-Angels who Watch. Moshe marries one of the seven daughters of Raguel and her name is Tsipporah, (one of "seven little birdies"), and thus Moshe is of the order of MelkiTzedek also by way of marriage to one of the seven tsipporim of Raguel.
That's logical, but at first blush it looks like guesswork. Any other sources to support that? In rabbinical sources Moses is occasionally called 'Jared,' another antediluvian patriarch's name. But Jared was Enoch's father, not his son.

But then, there's a pretty good chance that 'Moshe' is a title, too.

That is why Ahron is never called haKohen haGadol and probably why the term, (which term includes either gadol in Hebrew or megas in Greek), is never used in the Gospel accounts for Ananus or Kaiaphas but rather only found later in the epistle to the Hebrews, (αρχιερεα μεγαν, Heb 4:14, and ιερεα μεγαν, Heb 10:21).
Arguments from absence really can't go farther than being hypotheses. You should build a case for this argument. I'd like to see what you can come up with.

Wick Stick

It's somewhere in between. 'Priest of the order of Melchizedek' is one of the regnal titles of the Davidic monarchy. The monarchy has a clear succession, so the priesthood does too, after a fashion.

To bottom line it, the title is a claim on priestly office. Note that David claims the title first, in Psalms. David also eats the shewbread, enters the holy place of the tabernacle, offers sacrifices for sin, and intercedes on behalf of the country with God. All of these things are functions reserved to priests.

The king of the country was allowed to function as a priest, without regard to the fact that he was not a Levite. This forms the basis for the legitimacy of Jesus as a priest.

Wick Stick

To offer the firstborn child of a family to Baal Molech the god of the Canaanites was the tradition of the time. I can't imagine how many children this Melchizedek slaughtered to offer on the fire to Molech.
Genesis 14:18 says Mel was a priest of 'the most high God.'

edit: saw your later post, you're apparently re-translating that passage to suit your ends.

Hey, do me a favor. Go check out Qumran scroll 11Q5. Psalm 110 is there. See how it reads in the 1st century.

beameup

If there is an actual Order of Melchizedek, it has nothing to do with the pagan priest of Jerusalem of the time of Abraham.

Abram was an idol worshipping pagan in Ur of the Chaldees. Abram was his pagan name. Abram went to rescue Lot in Genesis 14. So much for your "I read Hebrew" claim.

God changed Abram's name to Abraham in Genesis 17. The addition to the "ha" to his name is indicative of having the ruach 'elohim (ie: breath of God).

Without the Holy Spirit, you can read and not "understand".
With the ruach 'elohim, you can read and UNDERSTAND, even if it's a translation.