Melchizedek: King and Priest of Salem (Jerusalem)

beameup

And Melchizedek KING of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the PRIEST of the Most High God. And he blessed Abram, and said, Blessed be Abram of the Most High God, possessor of heaven and earth and blessed be the Most High God - Genesis 14:18-20a

YHWH hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a PRIEST FOREVER after the order of Melchizedek. - Psalm 110:4

Last edited:

beameup

An interesting note in Exodus 19:6 proclaims that Israel "shall be unto me a Kingdom of Priests, and an Holy Nation." at some point in the future. In Ezekiel 40-48, it describes a Levitical portion (of land) around Jerusalem. So, for the remainder of Israeli men, the only other option would be to become Priests of the Order of Melchizedek.

Last edited:

beameup

The rabbinical tradition has been that Melchizedek was Shem, who would have been alive during the time of Abraham.

For this Melchizedek, King of Salem, Priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him - Hebrews 7:1

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The rabbinical tradition has been that Melchizedek was Shem, who would have been alive during the time of Abraham.

Did Shem have parents?

Hebrews 7:3 "without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually."

beameup

Did Shem have parents?

Hebrews 7:3 "without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually."

I've read a good explanation of this. It seems that when one enters into the Jewish "priesthood" that it is somewhat akin to the Catholic understanding, in that they commit themselves totally to the service of God and no longer consider their earthly "roots". That is my understanding of the rabbinical position. Also, Melchizedek was "chosen directly by God" as opposed to the Levitical priesthood, which is strictly hereditary.
According to the Jewish timeline, Abraham would have been about 100 years old when he met Seth.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did Shem have parents?

Yeppers.

Shem's genealogy is recorded in scripture, so there is no way he was without genealogy.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've read a good explanation of this. It seems that when one enters into the Jewish "priesthood" that it is somewhat akin to the Catholic understanding, in that they commit themselves totally to the service of God and no longer consider their earthly "roots".
Their earthly roots must be considered, as only sons of Levi could be priests.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
According to the Jewish timeline, Abraham would have been about 100 years old when he met Seth.

Melchizedek was alive in the first century.

Hebrews 7:8 "Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives."

beameup

Their earthly roots must be considered, as only sons of Levi could be priests.

Like I said, the JEWISH rabbinical tradition was (primarily) that ADAM was the first priest chosen by God and that this "priesthood" was passed-on to Shem. This "priesthood" predates the Levitical and had different "rules". Their service was only to God and they no longer had familial responsibilities or ties (ie: without geneology, mother, father, etc.).

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Like I said, the JEWISH rabbinical tradition was (primarily) that ADAM was the first priest chosen by God and that this "priesthood" was passed-on to Shem. This "priesthood" predates the Levitical and had different "rules". Their service was only to God and they no longer had familial responsibilities or ties (ie: without geneology, mother, father, etc.).
We know that Adam died before Shem was even born.

Not to mention that we have nowhere in scripture that says anything about Adam being appointed as a priest, and then passing on that priesthood to another.

This whole theory of Shem being Mel is nothing but pure speculation.
Speculation that could just as easily be towards countless other names we could pick from the bible of people that lived at the same time as Abe.

I mean, come on, one could place any name in that theory.
So, why pick Shem over the countless others?????
What makes Shem a better candidate than the countless others alive during Abe's lifetime?

beameup

I mean, come on, one could place any name in that theory.
So, why pick Shem over the countless others?????
What makes Shem a better candidate than the countless others alive during Abe's lifetime?
Because Shem was the ancestor of the Semites?
You will have to consult with Jewish sages or consult the Talmud.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because Shem was the ancestor of the Semites?
I see no reason why it would be necessary for Mel to be the ancestor of the Semites, or even a Semite period.

You will have to consult with Jewish sages or consult the Talmud.
Don't think that's necessary to figure out that scripture makes no connection to Shem being Mel.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Meh.

There had to be someone to maintain the knowledge of and the instructions placed by God. Adam was the first patriarch so it's incontrovertible that he was the first 'priest'.

But 'priest' is probably too strong of a word. Much of the 'Adamic' laws by today's ideology are self evident.

Wick Stick

So, for the remainder of Israeli men, the only other option would be to become Priests of the Order of Melchizedek.
I don't think that's an option. The pre-requisite to being part of the order of Melchizedek is that you have to be king.

beameup

I see no reason why it would be necessary for Mel to be the ancestor of the Semites, or even a Semite period.

Don't think that's necessary to figure out that scripture makes no connection to Shem being Mel.

There are a lot of things that are better understood by Judaism's non-canonical writings.
Perhaps you have heard mention of the Book of Enoch? Or ran-across the Book of Jasher? Or the Talmud?