"Mate Crime" a deceptive, slimy form of bigotry

1PeaceMaker

Peter Baimbridge, 60, was diagnosed with autism just four years ago, but described very clearly a situation being frequently referred to as mate crime.

Coming under the hate crime umbrella, mate crime refers to someone deliberately befriending a vulnerable person in order to take advantage of them.

These crimes can vary from petty theft to financial abuse, manipulation and, at its worst, sexual exploitation.

In his work for SalfordAutistm, Peter has come across cases of crimes like these on countless occasions.

In a study carried out by the National Autistic Society in 2014, of the 1,344 autistic adults, and parents and carers responding on their behalf, 49% said they had been abused by someone they thought of as a friend.

A further 37% believed a friend had forced or manipulated them into doing something they did not want to, and 27% have had money or possessions stolen by a friend.

In a more recent report from the Wirral Autistic Society, a staggering 80% of respondents over the age of 16 believed they had been bullied or taken advantage of by a friend and a third of adults said that they had been subject to bullying or manipulation of a sexual nature.

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/c...-friends-manchester-puts-spotlight-mate-crime

1PeaceMaker

Mate crime is a lot like rape, because it starts with a perp who finds a vulnerable person they believe they can control.

I also think that it can happen to any normal person, and that the victims are not to blame for being "gullible." Gullible is just an excuse that perps use to justify their behavior. As though they did the person a favor by exposing their vulnerability and shaming them via their kindness and cooperation.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mate crime is a lot like rape, because it starts with a perp who finds a vulnerable person they believe they can control.

I also think that it can happen to any normal person, and that the victims are not to blame for being "gullible." Gullible is just an excuse that perps use to justify their behavior. As though they did the person a favor by exposing their vulnerability and shaming them via their kindness and cooperation.

There is no shame in being trusting or kind. The shame goes strictly to the types of predators who look for these vulnerabilities in a person.

1PeaceMaker

The problem becomes that once trust is lost in one person it has a nasty tendency to bleed into other relationships.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

I tend to believe everybody, so I can be taken advantage of.

1PeaceMaker

I'm of the opinion that mate-criminals are their own problem, and that if autism weren't a targetable syndrome they would all be known as con-artists or sociopathic slime, anyway.