Mass Shootings and Aspergers Linked in the Press

1PeaceMaker

The Daily Mail has linked Aspergers and shootings, in it's report on the Oregon shooting, noting that the Sandy Hook shooter was also suffering from Autism.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ssault-rifle-THREE-pistols-used-massacre.html

"While there is no suggestion that Mercer's mental health problems led directly to his rampage, Adam Lanza, who killed 26 teachers and students at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut in 2012 also had Asperger's."

Do you think that it's bigoted to single out Asperger's syndrome like this, seeing how it might affect the way people look at others who also have it?

1PeaceMaker

Trad doesn't like being inconvenienced by the mere sight of certain individuals. I wonder how he'd like being in a similarly despised group of people.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Why does that matter?

I've never directly encountered a mass shooting.

I have directly encountered black people who blast rap music in gas station parking lots with their windows down.

I have encountered black people who apparently don't know how belts work.

I have encountered black people who apparently don't understand how English grammar works.

I have encountered black people who stink to high heavens because, apparently, they don't understand that this brand of perfume is just stinky.

I have encountered black people who don't understand what constitutes an "indoor voice," and black people who are inclined to shout like monkeys at each other, inconsiderate of all of the other people nearby, from across opposite ends of a public space.

Need I go on?

1PeaceMaker

No, but you've encountered yourself in the mirror on a daily basis.

You don't seem to know how respect and dignity work.

I have encountered black people who apparently don't understand how English grammar works.
Your accurate usage of grammar doesn't make up for your pedantic writing style.

I have encountered black people who stink to high heavens because, apparently, they don't understand that this brand of perfume is just stinky.

People with Aspergers (AS) often have hygiene issues.

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/aspergers-and-hygiene-solutions-for-an-overlooked-issue-0729144

Need I go on?

Need I?

The problem with the way you see black people is that if you felt that discriminatory energy from everyone around you, you would not feel respected or feel like you had been treated with dignity. They have to put up with your weaknesses and your lack of empathy without a complaint, because it would hurt you if they didn't.

You are a sensitive human being like the rest of us. You would not want to be treated differently or warehoused in a separate place to keep the neuro-typicals from having to see you or let their daughters breed with you and your kind.

You need a lesson in empathy and that's what this thread is for.

WizardofOz

I have directly encountered black people who blast rap music in gas station parking lots with their windows down.

I have encountered black people who don't understand what constitutes an "indoor voice," and black people who are inclined to shout like monkeys at each other, inconsiderate of all of the other people nearby, from across opposite ends of a public space.

Need I go on?
I have been inspired with a fun challenge to all TOL'ers.

Before you post anything on TOL, ask yourself the following question:

"If I were to say this to a random person on the street, is it likely that I would get punched in the face?"

If the answer is yes, then:

1. Do not submit the post. Delete it.
2. Come to this thread and post "Ow! I would have just gotten punched in the face."
3. Turn off your computer and find something else to do with your time for at least an hour.

In fact, if you really want the message to sink in, or if you were about to post something truly terrible and nasty, then engage in the "Would I Get Punched in the Face" bonus round:

4. Go look at yourself in the mirror and strike yourself in the face. [Don't hurt yourself, though; this is just for symbolic purposes.]

Let's see what happens to/on TOL in that week if you all follow this challenge. Game on, then?

Skip right to step 4, Traditio

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Aspergers is just another made up disease.

It's not a disease (that's just another something made up by Nick). It's a disorder.

It's now classified in the DSM-5 as Autism Spectrum Disorder, but it's still quite common to use and/or prefer AS.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Need I go on?

I have encountered white people who did every one of those things

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Daily Mail has linked Aspergers and shootings, in it's report on the Oregon shooting, noting that the Sandy Hook shooter was also suffering from Autism.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ssault-rifle-THREE-pistols-used-massacre.html

"While there is no suggestion that Mercer's mental health problems led directly to his rampage, Adam Lanza, who killed 26 teachers and students at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut in 2012 also had Asperger's."

Do you think that it's bigoted to single out Asperger's syndrome like this, seeing how it might affect the way people look at others who also have it?

I think if there is a medical or biological link it's important to identify it so it can be treated.

That doesn't, however, mean that I endorse the belief that anyone with Asperger's is a ticking time bomb who will eventually detonate.

Also, I am always hesitant to accept that people who commit these crimes are mentally or biologically compromised. While some may be, there are also those who will use it to their advantage to get away with violent crimes, including murder.

musterion

At the risk of being reported, are you familiar with "wiggers?" An ugly label but it exists for a reason: they choose to live their lives reflecting a particular culture that they perceive as worthy of emulation. I believe they are roughly analogous to the U.K.'s "chavs."

See above.

Ibid.

Ibid.
Ibid.

Need I go on?
Nope. But would you believe I've met black folks who are even more aghast at all the above than you and I? Yep, I sure have.

glorydaz

Trad doesn't like being inconvenienced by the mere sight of certain individuals. I wonder how he'd like being in a similarly despised group of people.

Incredible. Every topic can now be turned against Trad. That takes a lot of imagination. :rotfl:

You do realize there are probably more people who think someone having a whole bunch of kids is more despicable than someone who doesn't happen to like blacks, don't you?
Overpopulation is a very serious issue. How does it feel to be so despised by those people?

bybee

Incredible. Every topic can now be turned against Trad. That takes a lot of imagination. :rotfl:

You do realize there are probably more people who think someone having a whole bunch of kids is more despicable than someone who doesn't happen to like blacks, don't you?
Overpopulation is a very serious issue. How does it feel to be so despised by those people?

Very harsh words indeed. And quite unnecessarily so I should think. We all enjoy the freedom to express our opinions, yet, the chronic negativity of your pronouncements must get tiresome?