290 LBS
4 (at least 1 'rir' ...
... 290 LBS
4 (1 rnr) ...
Today:

290 LBS
1. 4, 0 rnr (iow AMRAP)

Bummer. Definitely going the wrong way.

Last time I couldn't do five the first set, it was 310 LBS I believe. At that point I de-loaded down to 270 LBS and did another set, but I didn't do five reps that set either and that was the end of the workout (this is what I remember).

So today I want to de-load further, I want to get in five reps in this next set, and I doubt 270 LBS is going to yield to me on that one.

I'm thinking 240 LBS sounds about right:

290 LBS
1. 4, 0 rnr
240 LBS
2. 5, ~5 rnr

All right. That's better. Looks like I'll be getting some volume work in today.

290 LBS
1. 4, 0 rnr
240 LBS
2. 5, ~5 rnr
3. 5, 2-3 rnr

Great. I've earned the right to do another set.

290 LBS
1. 4, 0 rnr
240 LBS
2. 5, ~5 rnr
3. 5, 2-3 rnr
4. 5, 1-2 rnr

OK. So looks like maybe just one more set to go today:

290 LBS
1. 4, 0 rnr
240 LBS
2. 5, ~5 rnr
3. 5, 2-3 rnr
4. 5, 1-2 rnr
5. 4, 0-1 rnr

OK. So all set for today, started with a 4-rep AMRAP set, ended with a 4-rep 1-rnr set; bookends.

Note to self. Next week, take gas relief medicine before workout! My goodness deadlifts can be uncomfortable if you have gas lol. Next week plan 250 LBS.

Last edited:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Well if you wanted to lift twice a week then I'd fast the days before lifting, eat plenty of protein all the other days. And if you lift once a week but want to fast twice a week, make one of them the day before you lift. It is better to prepare to recover well, than to prepare to lift more weight on your workout day, so that is why I'm saying, fast the day before your lifting day. No matter how strong you are the day after fasting, you can eat right in the morning, and maybe time your workout to be a couple hours after eating (you're basically no carb so I'm not sure how you're getting your muscles glycogen, if it's made from aminos or from fats, but whatever it is I think a couple hours will be enough that your blood should have more fuel in it by then to get an optimal lifting workout given that you're coming off a fast). ...
So. Science.

Never did I imagine I'm putting the cart before the horse but I am wondering if that's in fact what I was suggesting here.

I was fasting a meal or two leading up to Fridays and then fasting on Fridays completely, and then lifting on Saturdays. I tried lifting right from the fast once, and then twice after eating a big breakfast on Saturday, and my strength's going down. There's no doubt about this really.

So now here's my hypothesis. Eat, leading up to lifting. And then fast afterward. Fast Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays. Start eating in preparation for Saturday on maybe Wednesday but definitely by Thursday. Eat on Friday. This eating, is to build up glycogen, to get ready for lifting. Figuring, my glycogen reserves were depleted by the fasting. That would explain the lowering strength.

I'm going to stick with the 250 LBS plan. If this new eating experiment works out the worst case is I'll do a lot of five-rep sets at 250 LBS, while I could have been doing more weight. Lost opportunity. That's OK, I'll be patient, and plus I'll have demonstrated that perhaps this idea is the right one.

The hardest part here is going to be taming the barking dogs in my mind when I wake up on Sunday morning with great muscle soreness, and won't soothe that soreness with food. That's going to be tough. I don't even know if I can do it. I've never tried.

Should be interesting.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The hardest part here is going to be taming the barking dogs in my mind when I wake up on Sunday morning with great muscle soreness, and won't soothe that soreness with food. That's going to be tough. I don't even know if I can do it. I've never tried.

Should be interesting.
What's the longest you've ever fasted?

Gary K

Banned
I just saw this thread and it reminds me of my experience doing curls. I started out slowly using much lighter weights and worked my way up to doing 4 sets of 30 reps each lifting 65 lbs. I did that for probably a year and then stopped. A year or so later I decided to take it up again and in my infinite wisdom started off at the same level. What an idiot. The next day my arms were curled at the elbows and the only way to straighten them out was to massage my biceps for about 15 minutes or so until my muscles would relax. A short time later if I didn't keep my arms moving they would be curled up again and I'd have to go through the same process all over again. LOL.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I just saw this thread and it reminds me of my experience doing curls. I started out slowly using much lighter weights and worked my way up to doing 4 sets of 30 reps each lifting 65 lbs. I did that for probably a year and then stopped. A year or so later I decided to take it up again and in my infinite wisdom started off at the same level. What an idiot. The next day my arms were curled at the elbows and the only way to straighten them out was to massage my biceps for about 15 minutes or so until my muscles would relax. A short time later if I didn't keep my arms moving they would be curled up again and I'd have to go through the same process all over again. LOL.
We all could save ourselves from so much pain, wasted time, mistakes, etc., if we would just at least consider the advice from people who have gone before us. I think we're usually just too impatient.

Gary K

Banned
We all could save ourselves from so much pain, wasted time, mistakes, etc., if we would just at least consider the advice from people who have gone before us. I think we're usually just too impatient.
I had never even looked at weight lifting as something I really wanted to do. I was just bored in the evenings and so got a used set of weights from a friend who knrw no more than I did and began doing curls at home. I had no plans or goals nor did I know anyone who was a weight lifter. I just fell into it.

I was in really good shape because of the jobs I worked since graduating from high school. At 155 lbs I was arm wrestling and beating a lot of guys who weighed in the 200+ lb range. It was just a lark for me to lift weights.

Idolater

Canonical deadlift
250 LBS
1. 5, 3 rnr (pre-light-headed-ness experienced, drank some powdered protein plus sugar after set)
2. 5, 1 rnr
3. 5, 1 rnr (surprised me, I thought I'd only get to 4 with 1 rnr)
4. 4, 1 rnr

This is the same rep and set pattern I did last week with 240 LBS, except last week I started with four reps at 290 LBS before working with 240 LBS, so I really can't tell if I'm stronger, weaker, or the same as last week.

This week leading up to today I had giant starchy suppers (like are eaten the night before a marathon) Thursday and Friday. Thinking next week to start these meals on Wednesday, see if that adds strength. Since next week's plan is 260 LBS it'll be easier to see any difference in strength from this week and I'll be able to attribute any change to having the big marathon suppers starting one day earlier in the week.

Idolater

Same here. I don't know what it is about the second day.
idk if I can do this, but I'm thinking of eating just beef today. I'm coming off a two day fast zero calories, and decided to break it this morning with about two-thirds a pound of beef, just seasoned, nothing else.

Whether or not I succeed with that idea today, tomorrow and Friday's plan is to consume big starchy meals, especially, at least, one for supper.

The test is how my strength looks at the end of the week. If I can fast twice a week and preserve my strength, that's going to be very interesting.

One of the things I deal with when fasting is I get into a spot where I'm like, "I could continue to fast, but should I?" and this plan addresses my concern there at least in part; I'm lifting weights. I can tell if I've sacrificed strength to cut inches off my waist. Maybe I just fast once a week? Maybe I could fast three times a week! I'll find out.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
If I can fast twice a week and preserve my strength, that's going to be very interesting.
That's what I do. Twice a week I will stop eating at 2pm and don't start eating until 2pm the next day so I go 24 hours without eating twice per week.

Idolater

That's what I do. Twice a week I will stop eating at 2pm and don't start eating until 2pm the next day so I go 24 hours without eating twice per week.
I do waking period fasts then, I guess. Zero calories from Sunday night to this morning.

And you know what Jefferson, I've never felt 'hungrier' than after breaking a fast with just beef lol. I'm still on track to eat all beef today, we'll see how supper goes tonight, fingers crossed.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
And you know what Jefferson, I've never felt 'hungrier' than after breaking a fast with just beef lol.
I don't have that problem because I usually eat either 75% ground beef or 95% lean with LOTS of butter.

Idolater

I don't have that problem because I usually eat either 75% ground beef or 95% lean with LOTS of butter.
I make a 93%-85% blend, 1:1 Garlic and basil with salt and pepper recently. I used to do lots of different seasonings, I'm just on this garlic and basil kick for now. Goes well with tomato and spinach (and starch once I'm back on starch).

Seasonings that are OK:
paprika
garlic
onion
black pepper
white pepper
basil
thyme
sage
mustard powder
oregano
rosemary
dill

Beef goes well with so many seasonings, it's really the perfect meat. And of course just plain old salt and pepper is awesome too. And just plain salt.

Such good food.

Idolater

... At 155 lbs I was arm wrestling and beating a lot of guys who weighed in the 200+ lb range. It was just a lark for me to lift weights.
Are you following the sport at all? Huge match coming up between Devon Larratt and Levan Saginashvili, two monsters in the sport. A lot of hype, plus Mr. Larratt keeps publishing videos where he's continually trash talking Levan, it makes for great entertainment.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I make a 93%-85% blend,
Whenever I purchase 75% ground beef it is always from grass-fed, grass-finished cattle. My favorite source is US Wellness Meats.

I never purchase grain-fed 75% beef from the grocery store because those cattle have been consuming pesticides and pesticides wind up in the fat of the cattle, not the muscle. For that reason I will purchase grain-fed beef from the grocery store if it is 95% lean.

Idolater

Whenever I purchase 75% ground beef it is always from grass-fed, grass-finished cattle. My favorite source is US Wellness Meats.

I never purchase grain-fed 75% beef from the grocery store because those cattle have been consuming pesticides and pesticides wind up in the fat of the cattle, not the muscle. For that reason I will purchase grain-fed beef from the grocery store if it is 95% lean.
Taken under advisement. I'm not picky about my food, except that it's not rotten or contaminated with food poisoning germs, and that it's just actual food and not fake food.

Will the match be online?
I really don't know. You can lawfully watch past matches online for free so I'm hoping I'll be able to watch it sometime after the night of it. I know in so doing the only financial contribution I can make to these athletes is to pay attention to the ads that are running on the video streaming app, so that's what I do.

Unlike the WWF or WWE which is toned down for family friendly consumption, elite arm wrestling is extremely vulgar and not suitable for family friendly entertainment, although I haven't seen any promotion or approval of Pride agenda in arm wrestling, so compare that with Disney.