Justified in the Name of the Lord Jesus !

beloved57

1 Cor 6:11

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Declared righteous for His Names Sake, because of His Person and Work. This echos Gods Promise from the Prophet Isaiah Isa 45:25

In the Lord shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.

BTW the Seed Of Israel is but another way of saying the Seed of Abraham, or Abrahams Seed. Lets look at 2 Chron 20:7

Art not thou our God, who didst drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel, and gavest it to the seed of Abraham thy friend for ever?

The Seed of Abraham here is the same as Israel. And again Isa 41:8

Art not thou our God, who didst drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel, and gavest it to the seed of Abraham thy friend for ever?

And both Jew and Gentile Believers who belong to Christ are Abrahams Seed Gal 3:29

And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed/Israel, and heirs according to the promise.

Those in 1 Cor 6:11 were Justified in the Name of the Lord Jesus, they are also Israel, the Seed of Israel promised to be Justified in the Lord.

Now the whole point of this is to show that those Christ died for were Justified in His Name alone apart from their believing in Him, though that would come to pass later based upon the Divine Promise "The Just/Justified SHALL live by Faith"

Faith will be given by the Spirit to all whom have been Justified in the Person and Work of Christ !

TrevorL

Greetings beloved57,
And both Jew and Gentile Believers who belong to Christ are Abrahams Seed Gal 3:29
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed/Israel, and heirs according to the promise.
Now the whole point of this is to show that those Christ died for were Justified in His Name alone apart from their believing in Him, though that would come to pass later based upon the Divine Promise "The Just/Justified SHALL live by Faith" Faith will be given by the Spirit to all whom have been Justified in the Person and Work of Christ !
You have quoted from Galatians 3:29, but this seems to give a different sequence to what you claim. You say that “they were justified in His Name alone apart from believing in Him”, but reading the context, Galatians 3:26-29 seems to indicate that the process depends on faith and baptism, that they were incorporated into Christ by faith and baptism.
Galatians 3:26-29 (KJV): 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Greetings beloved57,You have quoted from Galatians 3:29, but this seems to give a different sequence to what you claim. You say that “they were justified in His Name alone apart from believing in Him”, but reading the context, Galatians 3:26-29 seems to indicate that the process depends on faith and baptism, that they were incorporated into Christ by faith and baptism.
Galatians 3:26-29 (KJV): 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Kind regards
Trevor

Read my post carefully.

TrevorL

Greetings again beloved57,
Read my post carefully.
I did read your post carefully before I posted, and I have read it again carefully. You seem to be imposing a sequence which does not agree with Galatians 3:26-29. Another clear example of the Gospel sequence is when Philip preached the Gospel of the Kingdom and Name to the Samaritans, they believed this Gospel and were motivated by their faith to be baptised.
Acts 8:5-6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

The Holy Spirit came later, after they believed, not before:
Acts 8:14-17 (KJV): 14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit: 16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
I suggest that you have complicated and attempted to replace what is a simple, clear sequence. Preaching the Gospel, belief of the Gospel preached and subsequent baptism motivated by faith results in justification by faith.

Kind regards
Trevor

Nanja

1 Cor 6:11

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Declared righteous for His Names Sake, because of His Person and Work. This echos Gods Promise from the Prophet Isaiah Isa 45:25

In the Lord shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.

BTW the Seed Of Israel is but another way of saying the Seed of Abraham, or Abrahams Seed. Lets look at 2 Chron 20:7

The Seed of Abraham here is the same as Israel. And again Isa 41:8

Those in 1 Cor 6:11 were Justified in the Name of the Lord Jesus, they are also Israel, the Seed of Israel promised to be Justified in the Lord.

Now the whole point of this is to show that those Christ died for were Justified in His Name alone apart from their believing in Him, though that would come to pass later based upon the Divine Promise "The Just/Justified SHALL live by Faith"

Faith will be given by the Spirit to all whom have been Justified in the Person and Work of Christ !

Amen Brother !

It is the Spirit of God that reveals to all the Seed of Abraham, the Seed of Israel: God's Elect Children Eph. 1:4-5, both jew and gentile,
His Justification of them by what the Person and Work of Christ accomplished on their behalf. And it's revealed to their consciousness through Faith given them in New Birth Gal. 5:22.

Rom. 8:16
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Rom. 9:8
That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Last edited:

beloved57

Greetings again beloved57, I did read your post carefully before I posted, and I have read it again carefully. You seem to be imposing a sequence which does not agree with Galatians 3:26-29. Another clear example of the Gospel sequence is when Philip preached the Gospel of the Kingdom and Name to the Samaritans, they believed this Gospel and were motivated by their faith to be baptised.
Acts 8:5-6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

The Holy Spirit came later, after they believed, not before:
Acts 8:14-17 (KJV): 14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit: 16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
I suggest that you have complicated and attempted to replace what is a simple, clear sequence. Preaching the Gospel, belief of the Gospel preached and subsequent baptism motivated by faith results in justification by faith.

Kind regards
Trevor

Rabbit trail!

TrevorL

If you read the OP as you stated, what is the reason I gave for quoting Gal 3:29 ?
I appreciate your attempt at discussion, but actually I find your OP quite confusing. You seem to equate Israel and the seed of Abraham mentioned in 2 Chronicles 20:7 with the seed of Abraham in Galatians 3:29. Those in 2 Chronicles 20:7 are set in the context of having the Canaanites driven from the land, while those of Galatians 3:29 are those who have responded in believing the gospel message concerning Christ and have then been baptised. But it was the last paragraph of your OP that I quoted as your sequence did not agree with Galatians 3:26-29, and I also added Acts 8:5-6,12 in my next post, and again this did not agree with your sequence and your reasoning. I also mentioned WHEN the Holy Spirit was given to the Samaritans.

So again I appreciate your attempt at discussion, but I find your reasoning difficult and confusing.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Greetings again beloved57, I appreciate your attempt at discussion, but actually I find your OP quite confusing. You seem to equate Israel and the seed of Abraham mentioned in 2 Chronicles 20:7 with the seed of Abraham in Galatians 3:29. Those in 2 Chronicles 20:7 are set in the context of having the Canaanites driven from the land, while those of Galatians 3:29 are those who have responded in believing the gospel message concerning Christ and have then been baptised. But it was the last paragraph of your OP that I quoted as your sequence did not agree with Galatians 3:26-29, and I also added Acts 8:5-6,12 in my next post, and again this did not agree with your sequence and your reasoning. I also mentioned WHEN the Holy Spirit was given to the Samaritans.

So again I appreciate your attempt at discussion, but I find your reasoning difficult and confusing.

Kind regards
Trevor

I merely pointed out that scripture identified Abrahams seed and Israel as one and the same. What is confusing about that ?

TrevorL

Greetings beloved57,
I merely pointed out that scripture identified Abrahams seed and Israel as one and the same. What is confusing about that ?
I agree that Abraham’s seed and Israel are one and the same in that particular context. Abraham’s descendants were Isaac, Jacob and Esau, but Jacob was chosen and his name changed to Israel to indicate his relationship with God. The 12 sons of Jacob and their descendants were then known as Israel, especially after they were brought out of Egypt and were established in the Land of Canaan. Galatians 3:26-29 is a different context.

What is not clear to me at least is that at the start of your OP you quote and briefly comment on 1 Corinthians 6:11, Isaiah 45:25, 2 Chronicles 20:7, Isaiah 41:8, Galatians 3:29 and then 1 Corinthians 6:11 again. Now how this is in any way connected with what you then say is difficult for me.
I do not see how your citations of Scripture and comments in any way prove what you have stated in your conclusion, and I have shown from Galatians 3:26-29 and Acts 8:5-6,12 that your sequence is incorrect. The sequence is the preaching of the Gospel, some affectionately believing the gospel and the substance of this belief centred in Jesus motivating them to be baptised, and hence fulfilling that the just shall live by faith.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

trevor

I agree that Abraham’s seed and Israel are one and the same in that particular context.

Thats the point I made and scripture verifys it, that Israel and Abrahams Seed are the same in scripture. Now do you know why I made that comment as it regards my OP ? I had a specific reason for that as it pertained to being Justified in the Lord, or in the Name of the Lord.

TrevorL

Thats the point I made and scripture verifys it, that Israel and Abrahams Seed are the same in scripture.
In the context that we were considering in the OT that is true, but in the Galatians 3:26-29 the believers are spiritual Israel while natural Israel was still existing in Paul’s day and now exists again since the restoration of the Jews back to the Holy Land. Natural Israel is Abraham’s seed, but Paul in Galatians gives a different perspective in that the promise to Abraham concerning his seed is firstly centred in Christ, and if we believe the gospel and are baptised we then become incorporated into the body of Christ and also then become heirs to the promises to Abraham:
Genesis 13:14-15 (KJV): 14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: 15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
Galatians 3:16,26-29 (KJV): 16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Now do you know why I made that comment as it regards my OP ? I had a specific reason for that as it pertained to being Justified in the Lord, or in the Name of the Lord.
It is certainly not clear to me, and you need to show the connection for me to understand as I am slow to digest and stubborn to accept new or different ideas. I have explained how I view some of these things, and my perspective seems to run counter to what you state. You have not agreed or disagreed with what I have stated, but I certainly disagree with your last two paragraphs of your OP, especially where you say "those Christ died for were Justified in His Name alone apart from their believing in Him".

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Greetings again beloved57, In the context that we were considering in the OT that is true, but in the Galatians 3:26-29 the believers are spiritual Israel while natural Israel was still existing in Paul’s day and now exists again since the restoration of the Jews back to the Holy Land. Natural Israel is Abraham’s seed, but Paul in Galatians gives a different perspective in that the promise to Abraham concerning his seed is firstly centred in Christ, and if we believe the gospel and are baptised we then become incorporated into the body of Christ and also then become heirs to the promises to Abraham:
Genesis 13:14-15 (KJV): 14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: 15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
Galatians 3:16,26-29 (KJV): 16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

It is certainly not clear to me, and you need to show the connection for me to understand as I am slow to digest and stubborn to accept new or different ideas. I have explained how I view some of these things, and my perspective seems to run counter to what you state. You have not agreed or disagreed with what I have stated, but I certainly disagree with your last two paragraphs of your OP, especially where you say "those Christ died for were Justified in His Name alone apart from their believing in Him".

Kind regards
Trevor

Rabbit Trail. Being Justified in the name of the Lord has nothing to do with believing in Him. It only has to do with His Person and Work. He gets full credit for Justifying those He died for.

TrevorL

Rabbit Trail. Being Justified in the name of the Lord has nothing to do with believing in Him. It only has to do with His Person and Work. He gets full credit for Justifying those He died for.
I appreciate your response, but I believe in justification by faith Romans 1:16-17, 3:26, 4:3, Galatians 3:6-9, Acts 13:38-39, Hebrews 10:38.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Greetings again beloved57, In the context that we were considering in the OT that is true, but in the Galatians 3:26-29 the believers are spiritual Israel while natural Israel was still existing in Paul’s day and now exists again since the restoration of the Jews back to the Holy Land. Natural Israel is Abraham’s seed, but Paul in Galatians gives a different perspective in that the promise to Abraham concerning his seed is firstly centred in Christ, and if we believe the gospel and are baptised we then become incorporated into the body of Christ and also then become heirs to the promises to Abraham:

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again beloved57, I appreciate your response, but I believe in justification by faith Romans 1:16-17, 3:26, 4:3, Galatians 3:6-9, Acts 13:38-39, Hebrews 10:38.

Kind regards
Trevor

This is not a thread on justification by faith. I have a thread on that if you want to go look it up. This thread is justified in the name of the Lord.

TrevorL

This is not a thread on justification by faith. I have a thread on that if you want to go look it up. This thread is justified in the name of the Lord.
To my understanding these are one and the same. There is only one method of justification, by faith in and though the Name of Jesus Christ.
Acts 4:8-12 (KJV): 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, 9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Greetings again beloved57, To my understanding these are one and the same. There is only one method of justification, by faith in and though the Name of Jesus Christ.
Acts 4:8-12 (KJV): 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, 9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Kind regards
Trevor

Please dont harras me. I told you nicely this thread isn't about Justified by Faith. I have threads on that if you care to look them up and we will discuss that subject. This thread is about Justified in the name of the Lord.

TrevorL

Please dont harras me. I told you nicely this thread isn't about Justified by Faith. I have threads on that if you care to look them up and we will discuss that subject. This thread is about Justified in the name of the Lord.
I must apologise as I did not realise that you felt this way. I certainly was persistent but I was trying to test your view mainly by quoting Scripture. I am not sure if what you have presented in this and the other threads is your unique view, or it represents Calvinism in general. I have not come in contact much with Calvinism, as it is not taught or held in my fellowship. On one occasion one of our younger members who is also a relative presented a few ideas that seemed to be similar to Calvinism. As librarian for our meeting I gave him an article from a 1960s magazine, and he agreed with the article, and that is the first and last occurrence in our meeting to my knowledge. I will not be participating in your other threads at the moment, as I do not want to pursue this subject. I may still respond to some individual threads if something similar is posted.

Kind regards
Trevor

beloved57

Greetings again beloved57, I must apologise as I did not realise that you felt this way. I certainly was persistent but I was trying to test your view mainly by quoting Scripture. I am not sure if what you have presented in this and the other threads is your unique view, or it represents Calvinism in general. I have not come in contact much with Calvinism, as it is not taught or held in my fellowship. On one occasion one of our younger members who is also a relative presented a few ideas that seemed to be similar to Calvinism. As librarian for our meeting I gave him an article from a 1960s magazine, and he agreed with the article, and that is the first and last occurrence in our meeting to my knowledge. I will not be participating in your other threads at the moment, as I do not want to pursue this subject. I may still respond to some individual threads if something similar is posted.

Kind regards
Trevor

This thread is about being Justified in the Name of the Lord. I have threads on Justification by Faith, if you want to discuss that and my view on it, look up one of those threads, read it and I will be happy to discuss/debate it with you. Other than that please dont harras me about justification by Faith.