Joel Osteen is a Despicable Disgrace

Choleric

You're working when you believe something. To believe in something you have to weigh options. In doing this, you're considering, "Is this true? Is this not true?" In doing this, there is logic that is being considered to come to your conclusion. Definitely can't deny there's some work involved here.

Believing is not a work. We know that because we are told we are saved "without works".

Repentance is an often misunderstood word. We often subconsciously insert (from sin) into our reading when that is wrong. God repented several times.

Repent is to change your mind about something. I repented of being single when I got married. I repented of my diet when I ate a full order of cheese fries etc.

Repentance from sin is a work and is not the gospel. We are told specifically in the scripture what we are repenting from and what we are repenting toward.

We repent from "dead works." (Hen 6:1) This is basically us laying down our pitiful efforts at saving ourselves, (i.e. Law Keeping, sabbath observance etc). All our efforts to save ourselves are dead works. (Heb 9:14)

We repent toward God. (Acts 20:21) That is throwing ourselves on His mercy.

Saving repentance is not a work. It is changing who you are trusting for your salvation.

john w

Hall of Fame
What do you mean by "telling people they need to repent"?

Yes, Mayor.

Unpack it for us. Many of us, are suspecting that when some members use the word "repent," their definition of repent, is in the context of "turning from your sins....stop sinning....," as a basis for justification, which is perverting the gospel of Christ. Both the Mayor, and I, and others(?), want to know if we are "on the same team" as you.

john w

Hall of Fame
Believing is not a work. We know that because we are told we are saved "without works".

Repentance is an often misunderstood word. We often subconsciously insert (from sin) into our reading when that is wrong. God repented several times.

Repent is to change your mind about something. I repented of being single when I got married. I repented of my diet when I ate a full order of cheese fries etc.

Repentance from sin is a work and is not the gospel. We are told specifically in the scripture what we are repenting from and what we are repenting toward.

We repent from "dead works." (Hen 6:1) This is basically us laying down our pitiful efforts at saving ourselves, (i.e. Law Keeping, sabbath observance etc). All our efforts to save ourselves are dead works. (Heb 9:14)

We repent toward God. (Acts 20:21) That is throwing ourselves on His mercy.

Saving repentance is not a work. It is changing who you are trusting for your salvation.

"...Thou hast spoken well..."

Judas repented.

ClimateSanity

I am pretty sure that Christians from many different denominations find him distasteful. He markets a lazy kind of Christianity that does not require telling people they should repent. It smacks of universalism.

Changing your behavior comes after salvation and not before it. Actions stem from the heart. Only God can change the heart. As a personal example, I am doing something today that I've heard preached over and over but decided it was not for me and even if it was, I wanted no part of it.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Paul preached against the premise that human works (works of the flesh) were of benefit to God. However, we received Jesus' grace so that we may work his works. (Ephesians 2:10)

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Romans 11:6)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Romans 11:6)

In this context the works Paul referred to were works of the law. Paul said over and over that salvation was not by works of the law.
(Romans 9:32)

Choleric

In this context the works Paul referred to were works of the law. Paul said over and over that salvation was not by works of the law.
(Romans 9:32)

Salvation is not by any good works of ours at all, not even loving your neighbor or loving God. Tit 3:5

There is no life any human (except Jesus) has ever lived that was worthy of heaven. It is only by Gods grace and mercy that any enter in.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Repentance is a work of God. God inspires repentance. God caused it. If the big crowd has no repentance then God is letting them run the show on thier own. Intensive positive thinking can be an illusion. Of course they feel good beliveing in good fables. It's like a good movie but it's still a movie

Right Divider

Body part
I never heard of him, until I looked him up.

"Osteen has also stressed that he does not approve of "homophobia," but that his faith is based on his reading of the Scriptures."

He is a PC Christian, ................wonderful:mmph:
I think that you mean PC "Christian"... :thumb:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Faith is a noun. It comes by hearing. Hearing is a noun. Neither are verbs, though there are verbs for believing and hearing.

Until English speakers fully understand the difference between Greek articular and anarthrous nouns relative to English definite and indefinite article nouns (which are often presumed to be verbs), they cannot and will not understand the Gospel.