Jesus, Rebukes and Theology Online

Stone Mason

Every few months I check into TOL and have a look at the topics. On every occasion after reading though just a few topics I come across some rebuke and/or snide remark that someone makes about someone else. Generally the rebuke will come across as petty and mean spirited being an attack against the person, and not the point that they are trying to make. For some reason that kind of response appears to be encouraged here.

Normally Jesus rebuked the demonic, the elements or sickness. Against those that followed him he rebukes Peter for trying to convince him to not go to the cross, to the disciples for not believing that he would be resurrected, and most importantly for TOL, against James and John for wanting to call down fire from heaven to consume the Samaritans.
When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do You want us to call fire down from Heaven to destroy them [even as Elijah did]?” But Jesus turned and rebuked them. And He said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.” [Luke 9.54-55]​

The last one is key for TOL because it involves the key problem with how individuals that have a difference of opinion are treated on the Forums.

May I recommend that the harsh rebukes on TOL be used as a last resort, instead of a first reflex? Save the harsh rebukes for those who are insincere about what they are talking about, or are trying to recommend something that is a clear moral wrong, like saying its ok to bomb kindergartens or something equally vile. Perhaps if that happens, others, like myself, will be more inclined to visit, and even participate more frequently.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Every few months I check into TOL and have a look at the topics. On every occasion after reading though just a few topics I come across some rebuke and/or snide remark that someone makes about someone else. Generally the rebuke will come across as petty and mean spirited being an attack against the person, and not the point that they are trying to make. For some reason that kind of response appears to be encouraged here.

Normally Jesus rebuked the demonic, the elements or sickness. Against those that followed him he rebukes Peter for trying to convince him to not go to the cross, to the disciples for not believing that he would be resurrected, and most importantly for TOL, against James and John for wanting to call down fire from heaven to consume the Samaritans.
When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do You want us to call fire down from Heaven to destroy them [even as Elijah did]?” But Jesus turned and rebuked them. And He said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.” [Luke 9.54-55]​

The last one is key for TOL because it involves the key problem with how individuals that have a difference of opinion are treated on the Forums.

May I recommend that the harsh rebukes on TOL be used as a last resort, instead of a first reflex? Save the harsh rebukes for those who are insincere about what they are talking about, or are trying to recommend something that is a clear moral wrong, like saying its ok to bomb kindergartens or something equally vile. Perhaps if that happens, others, like myself, will be more inclined to visit, and even participate more frequently.

If ya can't take the heat, get outta Dodge.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

It's hard for most posters on this site to keep from being cruel or mocking to others. It is something that they have learned growing up in their own family. Because of this, they don't even realize they have any other choices.

The shabby treatment of meshak is a good example of this.

This is exactly why Jesus made such savage attacks on family values in the New Testament, and did so very, very often. It is in the family where we first learn to love, to hate, to blame, to condemn, to lie and cheat.

We need to look in the mirror.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
It's hard for most posters on this site to keep from being cruel or mocking to others. It is something that they have learned growing up in their own family. Because of this, they don't even realize they have any other choices.

The shabby treatment of meshak is a good example of this.

This is exactly why Jesus made such savage attacks on family values in the New Testament, and did so very, very often. It is in the family where we first learn to love, to hate, to blame, to condemn, to lie and cheat.

We need to look in the mirror.

Personally, I never grew up cruel or mocking. Actually, I've always
(accept for a few occasions) been civil, mannerly, respectful, witty,
and kind to others. I'm sure there are others around TOL who have
that kind of personality as well. Yet, they get a little "feisty" on
the Internet forums. Don't be quick to judge everybody by what
they say on this or any other forum.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

That is a good post....

It is a funny old thing though, you can go for weeks and months without really being sharp with someone....then you call somebody out on a hypocrisy or lie and suddenly you are as mean a rascal as ever lived.

The way some people use Paul for example or even the Lord you would think they walked around with a machine gun....knocking everyone's teeth out.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Stone mason rebukes TOL members for rebuking TOL members. Oh the irony. :mock:stoners

Interplanner

Also many of the rebukes are done right away, before the responder really knows what is being said. I think this is a problem of life generally on the i.net. Communication is essentially complicated, because humans are. The fantasy that it is not/they are not is not 'fixed' by being on the i.net or on a forum.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My experience has been that TOL is the best theology site around, and is blessed with many many many knowledgeable folks.
I have found many many many posts in which I have learned things for the first time, or get a better understanding.

I've made lots of friends here from all over the world. We laugh and have fun at times. We share each others sorrows in prayer at times.

TOL is one of the few successful sites that has survived the test of time, close to 20 years now. So it definitely has the right stuff going on.

Perhaps if that happens, others, like myself, will be more inclined to visit, and even participate more frequently.
OK.
In the meantime, I will be here daily, finding all the many many many gems that you will miss out on.

I just love this place!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stone mason rebukes TOL members for rebuking TOL members. Oh the irony. :mock:stoners
Happens a lot.
Some folks focus on the lovely roses among the weeds. And others focus on the weeds.
The old "half empty, half full" conundrum.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
By the way, Meshak is a "MENACE."
The mistake she made was to call folks out and post Jesus's comments on poverty and the destitute.

Traditional Christians are used to repeating ancient theological sayings like "Jesus died for our sins" and tend to ignore his teachings.

Meshak did not and just kept at it.

It was like "How DARE her?" And then, "Hey, let's make fun of her hat!"