Jesus is God !

beloved57

Matt 19:16-26

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

This passage actually is teaching the Truth that Jesus is God ! Notice vs 17 As the young man had addressed Jesus as good, and Jesus responded accordingly, why callest thou me good, for none is good but ONE, that One Being God

Now , notice Jesus did not say, none is good but One and that is my Father, but He said that One, Being God !

Now if Jesus by this is not insinuating that He is God, then the alternative is that He was not good, seeing He just said only ONE, not Two, but ONLY ONE is good.

Now, if Jesus was not good, being that He was not the Only One Good God, then His commanding him, the young ruler, in order to be perfect, that he must go sell all his possessions, then give to the poor, and follow Him; Such an commandment exposed that the young man loved his possessions above God, which was a violation of the very first commandment, now if Jesus was not God, then the young mans refusal to obey and follow Jesus, could not be a proper standard to gauge his Love to God !

For there could not have been nothing amiss about not making such a great sacrifice as that Jesus told him, and then following Him if the One speaking was not the One God, who Only was good !

M_Wm_Ferguson_MTh

Matt 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Notice vs 17 As the young man had addressed Jesus as good, and Jesus responded accordingly, why callest thou me good, for none is good but ONE, that One Being God
Regarding Matt. 19:17, this verse appears in no extant Greek manuscript predating the compilation of orthodox Christian scripture in the mid-to-late 4th century CE. At that time, the Greek version of this verse (spec., ΤΙΜΕΕΡΩΤΑΣΠΕΡΙΤΟΥΑΓΑΘΟΥΕΙΣΕΣΤΙΝΟΑΓΑΘΟΣ, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One exists that is good") was replaced by the wording in the parallel accounts seen in Mark 10:18 and Luke 18:19 ("Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone."; see Metzger, TCGNT 2nd ed, 39). The wording seen in the KJV is a form of that parallel wording.

There is no reference in this verse, either direct or implied, that Jesus is God. Rather, Jesus was:

1. expressing in couched terms (to avoid being killed by his opponents) that the word "God" means love and goodness (1 John 4:8; Matt. 11:15), and
  2. contrasting his understanding of the nature of God with the tribal and cruel spirit God, YHVH (Jehovah), revered by the Jews both then and now.

beloved57

Regarding Matt. 19:17, this verse appears in no extant Greek manuscript predating the compilation of orthodox Christian scripture in the mid-to-late 4th century CE. At that time, the Greek version of this verse (spec., ΤΙΜΕΕΡΩΤΑΣΠΕΡΙΤΟΥΑΓΑΘΟΥΕΙΣΕΣΤΙΝΟΑΓΑΘΟΣ, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One exists that is good") was replaced by the wording in the parallel accounts seen in Mark 10:18 and Luke 18:19 ("Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone."; see Metzger, TCGNT 2nd ed, 39). The wording seen in the KJV is a form of that parallel wording.

That crap means nothing to me !

keypurr

If Jesus died then he is not God for God can not die.

Paul says he is the image of God, not God.

Iconodule

If Jesus died then he is not God for God can not die.

Jesus Christ is one person in two natures, fully human and fully divine. He died in his humanity, not his divinity. However, since Christ is one person it is proper to say that "God died," so long as we understand that the divine nature did not die.

Likewise it is good to call the Virgin Mary "Mother of God" as she gave birth to God in the flesh.

Paul says he is the image of God, not God.

He is the express image of God the Father. How is that possible? Because he has the same nature as God the Father and is therefore himself God.

"The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."

I close with one of my favorite Christian hymns:

Only begotten Son and Immortal Word of God, Who for our salvation willed to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary; Who without change became man, and were crucified, O Christ our God, trampling down death by death; who are one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit- save us!

keypurr

Jesus Christ is one person in two natures, fully human and fully divine. He died in his humanity, not his divinity. However, since Christ is one person it is proper to say that "God died," so long as we understand that the divine nature did not die.

i disagree. Jesus and Christ died

Likewise it is good to call the Virgin Mary "Mother of God" as she gave birth to God in the flesh.

I disagree again, she is the mother of Jesus

He is the express image of God the Father. How is that possible? Because he has the same nature as God the Father and is therefore himself God.

"The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."

I close with one of my favorite Christian hymns:

Only begotten Son and Immortal Word of God, Who for our salvation willed to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary; Who without change became man, and were crucified, O Christ our God, trampling down death by death; who are one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit- save us!

The key words are "express image", that is a creation.
Christ is a copy of the father, a god, and he can die.

Peace

keypurr

Death to the Jew was to descend into sheol. God can descend into sheol. David said so.

"If I make my bed in sheol thou art there."

Therefore, God can die.

To twist or not to twist. Death is death Wile, there is no in between.
God can not die, at least my God can't.

Iconodule

i disagree. Jesus and Christ died

Jesus Christ is one person, fully God and fully man. Therefore, to say "Jesus Christ died" is to say "God died." You cannot separate Jesus from God.

I disagree again, she is the mother of Jesus

And again, Jesus is God. She is therefore the Mother of God.

The key words are "express image", that is a creation.
Christ is a copy of the father, a god, and he can die.

Peace

Incorrect.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

beloved57

To twist or not to twist. Death is death Wile, there is no in between.
God can not die, at least my God can't.

The God I serve did die as the Man Jesus Christ Rev 2:8

And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

This is the risen Christ speaking who died and is alive, byt he also Identifies Himself as The First and the Last, who is God Isa 44:6

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

I am speaking of the Christ and God I serve, you serve a different god and christ from me anyway !

Pneuma

Jesus Christ is one person, fully God and fully man. Therefore, to say "Jesus Christ died" is to say "God died." You cannot separate Jesus from God.

Incorrect.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Jesus is God, he is just NOT God the Father.

Jn.1:1 is not talking about God the Father but rather speaking of the Son.

They are two different beings in full agreement, thus they are one.

Iconodule

Jesus is God, he is just NOT God the Father.

Jn.1:1 is not talking about God the Father but rather speaking of the Son.

They are two different beings in full agreement, thus they are one.

They are two distinct persons with one being. They are not merely in full agreement but united in essence.

Pneuma

They are two distinct persons with one being. They are not merely in full agreement but united in essence.

By that analogy I guess we are all God, many distinct beings united in essence.

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

So do you believe you are God?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Sometimes the discussions on TOL make me want to dye my hair blond and go to work at Walmart! No human can comprehend God nor can anyone discern His thoughts. To discuss what God or Jesus is strikes me as close to delusion. Many have debated for over thousands of years the words recorded in Scripture. That accomplishes nothing except maybe to start a few wars. I say unto you that you will find what you seek. You may seek the esteem of others for your impressive knowledge of Scriptures or you may seek God. It is your choice.

Iconodule

By that analogy I guess we are all God, many distinct beings united in essence.

Your reasoning does not follow. Man is created; God is uncreate and eternal.

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

We can be united to God by grace, but never by nature.

Pneuma

Sometimes the discussions on TOL make me want to dye my hair blond and go to work at Walmart! No human can comprehend God nor can anyone discern His thoughts. To discuss what God or Jesus is strikes me as close to delusion. Many have debated for over thousands of years the words recorded in Scripture. That accomplishes nothing except maybe to start a few wars. I say unto you that you will find what you seek. You may seek the esteem of others for your impressive knowledge of Scriptures or you may seek God. It is your choice.

Read Keyburrs slogan.

If we cannot comprehend God we cannot have eternal life.

keypurr

The God I serve did die as the Man Jesus Christ Rev 2:8z

My God can not die, but his son can.

And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

I do not dispute jesus died and was raise, just that God did not die.

This is the risen Christ speaking who died and is alive, byt he also Identifies Himself as The First and the Last, who is God Isa 44:6

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

I am speaking of the Christ and God I serve, you serve a different god and christ from me anyway !

I know your faith, I had at one time. I see Jesus as a man, the Christ as a spirit. Jesus did have a duel nature, one of the flesh and one of the spirit. Jesus was born in Bethleham, Christ was created before the worlds.

Christ was IN Jesus. Christ is the express image of God. God is spirit, Christ is spirit. My beliefs.

Peace

keypurr

Consider that there was Christ before there was Jesus.

Jesus has a God, you can not have a God and be the almighty god. Jesus tells us that his father is the only true God. I believe him. I do think Christ is a form of god.

Incorrect.

In the beginning was the "logos", what is the "logos"

Friend, TOL would be very dull if we all agreed. Its OK to think YOUR way, I just think your wrong.

As Mr Knight would say, "Welcome to the Jungle"

Peace

Iconodule

It is the very nature/essense of God in us that makes us eternal.

But that does not make us God.

I am using the term nature/ essence ("ousia") in the same way that the Fathers of the Church used it. Perhaps you mean something else.

The nature of God is not "in" us. Our souls are impermanent by nature; only by God's grace are they immortal, because God is the only one immortal by nature.