Is White Privilege Real?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

glassjester

Safety. Trust. Jobs. Good schools.

It doesn't. It's a matter of how other people treat you, not "whiteness itself".

Swap all the staff from an inner city school with the staff of a suburban school, and those urban kids will all magically start doing their homework, coming to school on time, and studying, right?

rexlunae

Swap all the staff from an inner city school with the staff of a suburban school, and those urban kids will all magically start doing their homework, coming to school on time, and studying, right?

Did you write "inner city" instead of "black" so that you could avoid saying that?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What do I have greater access to, simply by being white? And how does whiteness itself provide this greater access?
You should go back to my first post...I think it was about 113. I left about five links to quick articles that will address most of what you're looking for and a couple of them are fairly entertaining. None of them are difficult or very long reads.

It's not the geography so much as the history that should school you on the point. And it's not suburban privilege, so let's keep our terms straight forward. We're talking about the privileges that accrue by virtue of being in the dominant race within the compact, the one that has historically held power and means.

You should check out the links.

Here's a link to a couple of articles dealing with White Privilege:

New York Times, 2015

Huffington Post, 2014

Read an article about tackling misconceptions surrounding white privilege and countering them when propounded as argument. It addressed seven particular complaints/advances.

How To Explain White Privilege

Here's another article entitled 10 Examples That Prove White Privilege Protects White People In Every Way Imaginable

glassjester

It's not the geography so much as the history that should school you on the point. And it's not suburban privilege, so let's keep our terms straight forward. We're talking about the privileges that accrue by virtue of being in the dominant race within the compact, the one that has historically held power and means.

There's no race privilege, or suburban privilege, or geography privilege.

There is, however, values privilege, two-parent home privilege, not-committing-crimes privilege, high school graduate privilege...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, I wrote inner city instead of black because I don't believe that race-based privilege exists in the United States.
Then you're profoundly mistaken. The only question is whether it's a lack of exposure or willful and rooted in something else. My hope is that it's the former, which is why I presented you with more than my opinion on the point. The fact is that if you're white you'll by and large be treated better by most people than your similarly situated black counterpart. And that's just the most benign expression of white privilege.

PBS had an interesting program on the subject a bit ago approaching the subject from another angle. It was on the heels of that Oklahoma fraternity were members were caught on video chanting "There will never be a n-word in SAE." They were looking at attitudes rooted in race across age groupings. The study looked at four age groupings: 17-34, 35-49, 50-64, and 65+.

Between 30 and 35% of whites believed that blacks are lazy. The high end was among the Baby Boomers. Between 18 and 24% believed black people are unintelligent. Between 24 to 36% believed blacks face little to no discrimination, which is funny when you consider most of them have evidenced disriminatory inclinations. I mean, who among them would hire someone they believed was inherently lazy and stupid? Between 8 to 20% declared they had never admired a black person, with the higher figure found among the younger respondents, surprisingly.

Now that means, on average, the average young black goes out into a world dominated by a race where nearly 4 in 10 presuppose he's lazy and two and ten think they're stupid. And the 50-64 crowd, disproportionately the money holders and deciders on futures, are in the high end of those unfavorable inclinations, along with being the most inclined to believe blacks don't face discrimination.

You know who doesn't have to overcome those suppositions? White people.

Then there's the ethnocentric principle. It essentially notes the tendency of people to find comfort and value in that which is most like themselves. Put that together, before you get to the other offerings I've given you by the links, and you begin to see the impossibility of holding your opinion when you have sufficient information about even the foundational truths and impact of race.

ok doser

nonsense

i'm white and when i've been on hiring committees or had to supervise contract workers, i've been convinced that most whites are lazy, stupid and untrustworthy

and i'll tell you why

it's not because i'm racist

it's because most people of any color, are lazy, stupid and untrustworthy

the fact that you are blind to this just tells me one thing

you're lazy and stupid

but not untrustworthy

i can always trust that your argumentation, when it comes to race, will be lazy and stupid :banana:

glassjester

Then you're profoundly mistaken. The only question is whether it's a lack of exposure or willful and rooted in something else. My hope is that it's the former, which is why I presented you with more than my opinion on the point. The fact is that if you're white you'll by and large be treated better by most people than your similarly situated black counterpart. And that's just the most benign expression of white privilege.

PBS had an interesting program on the subject a bit ago approaching the subject from another angle. It was on the heels of that Oklahoma fraternity were members were caught on video chanting "There will never be a n-word in SAE." They were looking at attitudes rooted in race across age groupings. The study looked at four age groupings: 17-34, 35-49, 50-64, and 65+.

Between 30 and 35% of whites believed that blacks are lazy. The high end was among the Baby Boomers. Between 18 and 24% believed black people are unintelligent. Between 24 to 36% believed blacks face little to no discrimination, which is funny when you consider most of them have evidenced disriminatory inclinations. I mean, who among them would hire someone they believed was inherently lazy and stupid? Between 8 to 20% declared they had never admired a black person, with the higher figure found among the younger respondents, surprisingly.

Now that means, on average, the average young black goes out into a world dominated by a race where nearly 4 in 10 presuppose he's lazy and two and ten think they're stupid. And the 50-64 crowd, disproportionately the money holders and deciders on futures, are in the high end of those unfavorable inclinations, along with being the most inclined to believe blacks don't face discrimination.

Then there's the ethnocentric principle. It essentially notes the tendency of people to find comfort and value in that which is most like themselves. Put that together, before you get to the other offerings I've given you by the links, and you begin to see the impossibility of holding your opinion when you have sufficient information about even the foundational truths and impact of race.

It's a bit of a nebulous bogeyman, this white privilege.
Why can't we pin down any particular laws or policies that favor whites?

I can easily think of past examples, such as legal slavery, jim crow laws.
But what about now? Anything like that now?

And any word yet, on how Asians overcame white privilege?

ok doser

not lazy and stupid:
Spoiler
black-business-people1.jpg

lazy and stupid:
Spoiler
news-and-politics-2012-08-archives-white-trash-white-trash-628.jpg

now surely the pics i chose are proof that i'm racist

ok doser

It's a bit of a nebulous bogeyman, this white privilege.
Why can't we pin down any particular laws or policies that favor whites?

I can easily think of past examples, such as legal slavery, jim crow laws.
But what about now? Anything like that now?

And any word yet, on how Asians overcame white privilege?

George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif