Is there such a thing as a holy day?

Elia

No All days are holy.

Bs'd

Are you making that up yourself or do you have Scripture to support that?

"Therefore know this day, and consider it in your heart, that Y-H-W-H He is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; THERE IS NO OTHER."
Deut 4:39

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Bs"d

You choose paganism; I choose Gods holy days.

"For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God for ever and ever.".

Micah 4:5

Oh Elia, thank you for giving us a real lesson in the sort of traditional pig headedness that Jesus was confronted with in dealing with the Jews. "They strain at gnats and swallow camels".

Elia

Oh Elia, thank you for giving us a real lesson in the sort of traditional pig headedness that Jesus was confronted with in dealing with the Jews. "They strain at gnats and swallow camels".

Bs"d

Please explain which camel I swallow.

"O Y-H-W-H, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction. The Gentiles shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say: “Surely our fathers have inherited lies, worthlessness and unprofitable things.”"
Jer 16:19

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Well you could ask yourself this question. If the Jews rebelled and rejected all the prophets that God ever sent to them

How would they react if He sent His Son?

Ben Masada

Well you could ask yourself this question. If the Jews rebelled and rejected all the prophets that God ever sent to them

The question is unnecessary because the Jews are well aware that the Lord does not have a son without a biological father. This is a Christian doctrine according to Mat. 1:18.

Elia

Bs"d

You have the Tanach in your Bible because the Jews very carefully preserved the words of the prophets.

There is only one God who is one.

Worshipping a whole divine family is polytheism and idolatry.

But what about the camel I'm swallowing according to you?

I still don't see it.

"Therefore know this day, and consider it in your heart, that Y-H-W-H He is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; THERE IS NO OTHER."
Deut 4:39

Ben Masada

I would answer no. As there is nothing intrinsically holy about any day in our calenders.
Most religious or secular holy days are worldy in nature and handed down via various traditions and lore.
From a Christian standpoint the only day or event that Jesus said Christians should observe was his death, this was so the importance of his sacrificial death could be observed by partakers of the emblems and observers.
Judaic tradition though via the Mosaic Law set aside holy days to God primarily for days of piety and religious instruction for the people of Isreal. These were so the Jews could express their appreciation for the things God had done for them EG the passover which celebrated their liberation by God from Egypt.
From a Christian standpoint because Jesus fulfilled the Law and effectively made it redundant the holy days inaugurated under the Mosaic Law are no longer relavent.

I don't recall that Jesus ever said any thing about Christians or to Christians. BTW, he never even dreamed that Christians would ever rise. If you can supply us with a quote as an evidence to that effect, we would appreciate. If you can't, know that we can't take your word for it.

Ben Masada

If you're Catholic, not only are their Holy Days, there are Holy Days of Obligation. Forget to participate in a Holy Day of Obligation and you just bought yourself some years in purgatory.

Purgatory does not exist. That's a fabrication of the Catholic Church to scare the members from deserting the Church.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Funny thing about the Jewish holy days, He told them they were to be done FOREVER, not just until Messiah came. And there were "g-dfearers" and "strangers" who were to be included in the participation of the holy days, if they so chose to. Peace
What do you believe about when the Jewish holy days are to end?

SonOfCaleb

I don't recall that Jesus ever said any thing about Christians or to Christians. BTW, he never even dreamed that Christians would ever rise. If you can supply us with a quote as an evidence to that effect, we would appreciate. If you can't, know that we can't take your word for it.

If you're going to be pedantic i could have said Jesus 'followers' or disciples as the term Christian didn't arise until circa 44CE, after Jesus death, when at the Christian congregation in Antioch the Christians were called by divine providence "Christians". In other words this was the name given to followers of Christ by Jehovah.

Acts 11:26 "After he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year they assembled with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians".

Secondly Jesus was absolutely expecting adherents to the new faith of Christianity as that was one of the key purposes of the Messiah. In Luke 5:27 said to the tax collector Levi "come by my follower".

Luke 5:27 "Now after this, he went out and saw a tax collector named Leʹvi sitting at the tax office, and he said to him: “Be my follower".

Jesus as the head of the Christian congregation chose 12 Apostles to serve as overseers, a governing body of elders as it were akin to the Jewish Sanhedrin who would shepherd the new Christian congregations.
Jesus wouldn't have appointed the Apostles if he didn't expect any followers or disciples, much less Christian congregations to be established.

Luke 14:27 is very clear when Jesus said "Whoever is not carrying his torture stake and coming after me cannot be my disciple"
Again Jesus clarifys this further in Luke 14:33 "Thus, you may be sure, none of YOU that does not say good-bye to all his belongings can be my disciple".
In fact sometimes there were even disputes over whom to follow. The Pharisees claimed to be disciples of Moses. Some who were baptized by John were followers or disciples of John.
Thus you cannot be called a Rabbi or Rabboni and not expect followers or disciples as Jesus was a teacher.
John recognized Jesus as the Messiah and began to turn his disciples over to Jesus when he said in John 3:30 "That one must keep on increasing, but I must keep on decreasing".

So you're very much mistaken if you think Jesus wasn't expecting a following/disciples as he had followers from the time he started his ministry of which the 12 sent forth by him directly as Apostles including Paul were responsible as teachers for the congregations that were established in modern day Turkey, Syria and Israel immediately after Jesus death.

Matthew 16:24 "Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and keep following me".

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Christians, along with Jesus, are the firstborn of the Father.

Speak to the children of Israel and say to them: "When you come into the land which I give to you and reap its harvest, then you shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest." (Leviticus 23:10 NKJV)​

Jesus said he would fulfill the law and so he fulfilled the wave sheaf offering.

And then:

Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath, then you shall offer a new grain offering to the LORD. You shall bring from your dwellings two wave loaves of two-tenths of an ephah. They shall be of fine flour, they shall be baked with leaven. They are the firstfruits to the LORD. (Leviticus 23:16-17 NKJV)

The two loaves baked with leaven represent the Hebrews (including Jews) and the Gentiles. Both groups of people have sinned which is the reason Christians (the firstfruits) observe the Days of Unleavened Bread, meaning we are to come out of sin and to eliminate it from our life.

Jesus told his disciples they were peter, the firstborn. (Matthew 16:18)

Elia

Jesus told his disciples they were peter, the firstborn. (Matthew 16:18)

Bs"d

Mohammed told the same to the Muslims.

"O Y-H-W-H, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction. The Gentiles shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say: “Surely our fathers have inherited lies, worthlessness and unprofitable things.”"
Jer 16:19

Elia

What do you believe about when the Jewish holy days are to end?

Bs"d

I believe they are forever, for all generations, just like God says in the Torah.

"For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God for ever and ever.".

Micah 4:5

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe they are forever, for all generations, just like God says in the Torah.

Is the Torah exclusively for the people of Jacob and the immigrants to physical Israel? Or did Moses proclaim the Torah to the Gentiles?

The law requires jurisdiction to be valid.

RBBI

If you're going to be pedantic i could have said Jesus 'followers' or disciples as the term Christian didn't arise until circa 44CE, after Jesus death, when at the Christian congregation in Antioch the Christians were called by divine providence "Christians". In other words this was the name given to followers of Christ by Jehovah.

Acts 11:26 "After he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year they assembled with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians".

Secondly Jesus was absolutely expecting adherents to the new faith of Christianity as that was one of the key purposes of the Messiah. In Luke 5:27 said to the tax collector Levi "come by my follower".

Luke 5:27 "Now after this, he went out and saw a tax collector named Leʹvi sitting at the tax office, and he said to him: “Be my follower".

Jesus as the head of the Christian congregation chose 12 Apostles to serve as overseers, a governing body of elders as it were akin to the Jewish Sanhedrin who would shepherd the new Christian congregations.
Jesus wouldn't have appointed the Apostles if he didn't expect any followers or disciples, much less Christian congregations to be established.

Luke 14:27 is very clear when Jesus said "Whoever is not carrying his torture stake and coming after me cannot be my disciple"
Again Jesus clarifys this further in Luke 14:33 "Thus, you may be sure, none of YOU that does not say good-bye to all his belongings can be my disciple".
In fact sometimes there were even disputes over whom to follow. The Pharisees claimed to be disciples of Moses. Some who were baptized by John were followers or disciples of John.
Thus you cannot be called a Rabbi or Rabboni and not expect followers or disciples as Jesus was a teacher.
John recognized Jesus as the Messiah and began to turn his disciples over to Jesus when he said in John 3:30 "That one must keep on increasing, but I must keep on decreasing".

So you're very much mistaken if you think Jesus wasn't expecting a following/disciples as he had followers from the time he started his ministry of which the 12 sent forth by him directly as Apostles including Paul were responsible as teachers for the congregations that were established in modern day Turkey, Syria and Israel immediately after Jesus death.

Matthew 16:24 "Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and keep following me".

Wondering what bible version you're using because mine says nothing about it being "divine providence" that they were first called Christians at Antioch. Peace

SonOfCaleb

Wondering what bible version you're using because mine says nothing about it being "divine providence" that they were first called Christians at Antioch. Peace

Im using the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures by the Jehovah's Witnesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Translation_of_the_Holy_Scriptures

The Young's Literal Translation (YLT) says the same.

26 and having found him, he brought him to Antioch, and it came to pass that they a whole year did assemble together in the assembly, and taught a great multitude, the disciples also were divinely called first in Antioch Christians.

In fact Isaiah 62:2 foretold that Jehovah would designate a new name for his people Isaiah 62:2 "And you will be called by a new name, Which Jehovah’s own mouth will designate"

Both the NWT and the YLT use the correct translation from Greek of the word "chrematizo" which means to be divinely commanded, admonished or instructed.

The translators of most Bible editions such as the KJV have omitted this important part of the translation from Greek into English.

SonOfCaleb

Is the Torah exclusively for the people of Jacob and the immigrants to physical Israel? Or did Moses proclaim the Torah to the Gentiles?

The law requires jurisdiction to be valid.

The 'Law' (Torah) applied to Jewish proselytes too. These were gentile converts who got circumcised and practiced the 'Law' of Moses.
The Mosaic Law made specific provisions for a person of non-Israelite origin living in Israel.
These proselytes would likely have numbered into 10s or 100s of thousands, as Josephus explains in his Antiquities that there were many who were forced into being proselytes as Aristobulus did this to the Ituraeans who lived North East of the Sea of Galilee. So the Law was only applicable to Jews or Proselytes living in Israel.