Is Preterism Christianity?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It's really simple if you let the Bible be true and speak for itself.
Acts 1:9-12 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:9) And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. (1:10) And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; (1:11) Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. (1:12) Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

This describes the manner of Christ's coming in judgment . . in the air from heaven.

Zech 14:1-4 (AKJV/PCE)
(14:1) Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. (14:2) For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. (14:3) Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. (14:4) ¶ And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which [is] before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, [and there shall be] a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Fulfilled in the Incarnation of the Christ.

Right Divider

Body part
This describes the manner of Christ's coming in judgment . . in the air from heaven.

Fulfilled in the Incarnation of the Christ.
You are so willfully ignorant!

So the mountain SPLIT in TWO when the LORD LANDED on it?

Zech 14:4 (AKJV/PCE)
(14:4) ¶ And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which [is] before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, [and there shall be] a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Believe the Bible Nang.

Or was it a "spiritual cleave"?

Nang

TOL Subscriber

(14:4) ¶ And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which [is] before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, [and there shall be] a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Believe the Bible Nang.

There were great earthquakes . . Matthew 27:52-55, 28:2-3

musterion

Believe the Bible Nang.

Spiritual mountain, spiritual cleaving, spiritual return, spiritual Jesus no one will ever see.

Being patient and reasonable with a brick will not impress the brick.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Spiritual mountain, spiritual cleaving, spiritual return, spiritual Jesus no one will ever see.

Being patient and reasonable with a brick will not impress the brick.

No, the earthquakes were literal and historical. They fulfilled Zechariah's prophecy.

Right Divider

Body part
There were great earthquakes . . Matthew 27:52-55, 28:2-3
For you ANY supposed proof will do. The mountain SPLIT IN TWO WHEN THE LORD LANDED ON IT.

Did you see that scripture? You are a completely deceived and you seem to love it.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
For you ANY supposed proof will do. The mountain SPLIT IN TWO WHEN THE LORD LANDED ON IT.

Did you see that scripture? You are a completely deceived and you seem to love it.

Scripture does not say "split in two." Those are your words, and you weren't even there!

Scripture describes "half" the mountain moving one way and the other "half" moving the opposite. And not when the Lord "landed on it."

His feet physically touched the Mt. of Olives, and earthquakes occurred during and after the event; moving earth in opposite directions, but no more detail as to how far the earth shifted. Inches? Feet?

All we are told is that the earthquakes were great. Great enough to move the boulder from Christ's tomb, and open the graves of saints who also resurrected.

iamaberean

Yes. Judgment Day!

Judgment day was the day the Jews were to be judged. We, as Christians, have no sin, for God's taken away our sin.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Jew's, because they lived under the law, would be judged according to their works.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
iamaberean,

I am all but certain that I'm wasting my time here and so I'm only going to stick my toe in here just to test you and see if my intuition is correct. I'll give you one verse that should by itself be sufficient to prove that Jesus will rule the nations of the Earth as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

You should be told up front that I will not get into a proof-texting contest with you. Proof-texting is a full blown waste of time that never convinces anyone of anything - ever. This is entirely about whether we allow the text of scripture to mean what it plainly states or do we turn it all into symbols and shadow and make "interpretations" that suit our doctrine. I've NEVER met a preterist that didn't do that later.

You should also know that I will not participate in any thread in which Nang is actively involved. She is perhaps the single most evil person I've ever encountered and certainly the worst on this website. She is nothing she pretends to be and I will not tolerate her - at all. So if I disappear, you'll have her to blame for it.

So, with all that said, here's goes nothin...

Revelation 19:11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. 12 His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had[e] a name written that no one knew except Himself. 13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean,[f] followed Him on white horses. 15 Now out of His mouth goes a sharp[g] sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16 And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. You font changes are annoying.

Right Divider

Body part
Scripture does not say "split in two." Those are your words, and you weren't even there!

Scripture describes "half" the mountain moving one way and the other "half" moving the opposite. And not when the Lord "landed on it."
Ok Nang the Nitpicker..... when ONE HALF of the mountain moves ONE WAY and the OTHER HALF of the mountain moved the OTHER WAY.... that is called splitting IN TWO.

His feet physically touched the Mt. of Olives, and earthquakes occurred during and after the event; moving earth in opposite directions, but no more detail as to how far the earth shifted. Inches? Feet?

All we are told is that the earthquakes were great. Great enough to move the boulder from Christ's tomb, and open the graves of saints who also resurrected.
I guess that you cannot understand what returning IN LIKE MANNER means. You are just plain dumb.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you are a preterist, please affirm (or deny) the following five points which are pretty much universally understood as fundamental to the Christian faith...

1. The divine inspiration and inerrancy of the bible.
2. The deity of Jesus Christ.
3. The virgin birth of Jesus Christ.
4. The substitutionary, atoning work of Jesus Christ on the cross.
5. The physical resurrection and the personal bodily return of Jesus Christ to the earth.​

Clete,

If you're going to use an external source, please provide the source.

Where did you get these 5 points?​

Interplanner

Clete,

If you're going to use an external source, please provide the source.

Where did you get these 5 points?

They are the 5 points of Fundamentalism at about 1900 when the schism between destructive liberalism and fundamentalism got sharp. Dr. Schaeffer in the next generation tried to help them learn how to express the deeper philosophical currents but it was too 'handy' to just maintain these 5 items.