Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherubRam

We are discussing rape, not consensual sex. And yes, if a woman changes her mind and says "STOP", that means stop. You will get over it. The ego will recover.

Oooops, her husband did not respond fast enough so he is guilty of rape.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You seem afraid to say 'submitting to the man'. You have to whitewash it with 'submitting to the marriage'. It's clear that you are double-speaking.

If a woman is witholding sex from her husband permanently or semi-permanently, it is because the marriage has broken down or is breaking down. In which case the husband has no right to expect sex from her anyway. If the marriage hasn't broken down, then the husband doesn't have the right to force himself upon her anyway because marital love doesn't do that. So either way, the above two posters are twisted in their attitude to women. And as for calling Anna a coward, you who expect women to obey your every desire for no other reason than you are the man and she is the woman, are the one who is being a coward because you can't get your own way except by force. For goodness sake, if you had any shred of love and honour in your marriage, your wife would not be refusing to have sex with you. And even if she is, there is a reason for it that needs sorting out and your first duty is to listen, not to treat her like an animal.

This is the answer I was looking for. You've made the thread.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Then why did you say it?

"Who am I to judge [persons]?" My claim was not that, in point of fact, people actually do go to Hell for refusing sexual intercourse to their spouses. I have absolutely no way of knowing this. What I do know that, objectively speaking, such a thing is worthy of Hell if accompanied by knowledge and will.

A corollary from human law: can I possibly know how many persons are convicted and sentenced each year, and what the average prison sentence for, e.g., theft, is simply by looking at what the law says? No.

I can tell you that a given crime carries a penalty of in between 5-10 years if convicted. I can't tell you how many people actually get convicted and what their average sentence is, simply by knowing that.

This isn't about what a spouse owes. It's about what a spouse inflicts on the other, and takes without the other's consent.

And I'm telling you plainly: a spouse has a duty to love and respect his wife. He may not force her to have sex against her will. However, I do wish to insist on the contrary "point of view": she does not have a legitimate right to refuse without grave reason, and if she does, she commits a serious offense against her husband and against God. Justice and charity require her to say "yes" in most cases.

genuineoriginal

Well, anyone forcing themselves on another is rape and if someone does so when the other party is incapable of giving consent/unconscious etc then that's rape too and rightfully so. Any problem with that?

Yes, I have a problem with redefining crimes from the definitions that have been held for thousands of years.

Just like I have a problem with redefining marriage from the definitions that have been held for thousands of years.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jokes are OK, but how about a real answer?

Alas, you have no desire to hear an answer for any women ... But, there are several real men who have given real answers right here on this thread.

What part of "NO means NO do you not understand"?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... takes without the other's consent.

in the case of a non-violent marital "rape", what has been taken?

what was taken from the Swarthmore student in the following case of "rape"?

Herewith, a Philadelphia magazine report about Swarthmore College, where in 2013 a student “was in her room with a guy with whom she’d been hooking up for three months”:

“They’d now decided — mutually, she thought — just to be friends. When he ended up falling asleep on her bed, she changed into pajamas and climbed in next to him. Soon, he was putting his arm around her and taking off her clothes. ‘I basically said, “No, I don’t want to have sex with you.” And then he said, “OK, that’s fine” and stopped. . . . And then he started again a few minutes later, taking off my panties, taking off his boxers. I just kind of laid there and didn’t do anything — I had already said no. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. I let him finish. I pulled my panties back on and went to sleep.’”

Six weeks later, the woman reported that she had been raped.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And I'm telling you plainly: a spouse has a duty to love and respect his wife. He may not force her to have sex against her will. However, I do wish to insist on the contrary "point of view": she does not have a legitimate right to refuse without grave reason,

Traditio ... serious question, what do you consider a *grave reason*?

Status
Not open for further replies.