Is It Actually A Correct Concept For Anyone To Earn Their Way Into God's Favor.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Boy, I've seen some heretical Chat Forums. This one takes the cake. I've got my work cut out for me here. Guess I'll be here a while.

TOL is a mainline Christian board. Just because it doesn't hold to the beliefs you consider correct doesn't make it heretical.

Your personal version of the Bible is so grossly inept

I use the NKJV. If you have a problem with that, then that's on you.

that it's easy to see why you need so many flashy titles under your name. If you didn't have all that, nobody would listen to a thing you have to say.

The tags under my name have nothing to do with my theology.

God doesn't change. He is eternal. Nothing within our little world has the significance to change Him in the slightest way. If He was capable of change, His promises and commitments wouldn't hold the power that they do.

Start a new thread.

This is all really just a question of faith; of which you seem to be woefully challenged.

Ad hominem insults won't fly here.

"... I am the Lord, I change not; ..." Malachi 3:6

"Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow." Hebrews 13:8

Supra.

You are very likely one of those deniers of the fact that Jesus is God...

Nope.

"... the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness/variation (change), neither shadow of turning (slightest possibility of change)." James 1:17

Supra.

The body of Christ IS Israel,

Saying it doesn't make it so.

it is also the Church.

There are multiple churches in the Bible.

"... the power of God unto salvation [is] to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile."
Romans 1:16
"... if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise."
Galatians 3:29

Start a new thread.

You absolutely DO obey NINE of the Commandments or else you are a murderer, a thief, an adulterer, a liar, a disrespecter of parents, a demon-worshiper, etc.

Stomping your foot and demanding that I do indeed obey the Law doesn't make it so.

Get it together, hypocrite.

Again with the ad hominem. I recommend reading our rules.

Old Hat

I use the NKJV. If you have a problem with that, then that's on you.
It doesn't matter what version you use. And, for the record, I'm very familiar with the NKJV and it teaches exactly what I am presenting.
Start a new thread.
No need. Already proved my position with Scripture.
The Bible says it. That makes it so.
There are multiple churches in the Bible.
There is only one THE Church of Christ mentioned in the Bible.
(Matthew 16:18)
Start a new thread.
No need. I proved my position with Scripture.

Stubbornly denying Scripture doesn't make it disappear from the Bible.
Stomping your foot and demanding that I do indeed obey the Law doesn't make it so.
Unless you commit any of the sins I listed, you do not break those particular Commandments. Therefore you obey them. Simple logic.
Again with the ad hominem. I recommend reading our rules.
It's not an ad hominem attack to describe someone as being a hypocrite if you have already made the case that they are acting in a hypocritical way.

But, due to the way you interact here, stubbornly refusing correction and flat denying Scripture that is presented to the contrary of your claims, it is clear that I shouldn't interact with you.

It's a waste of my time and I can't tolerate dishonesty for the sheer sake of refusing to admit when you're wrong.

Jenkins

I think what's incorrect is the popular teaching that obedience is earning your way into God's Favor; or that obedience to specific Commandments is Legalism.

Yes, we are required to obey; and yes, obeying the 10 Commandments does put us in alignment with God and His Favor.

Not opinion, Biblical facts.

And here are those verses for reference to get us started:

Matthew 5:19
Matthew 23:1-3
John 14:15
John 14:21
John 15:10
John 15:14
1 John 2:6
1 John 3:4
Ecclesiastes 12:13
Revelation 14:12
Matt. 5:19 - The Kingdom is not on Earth yet. However, after Salvation has been received through the Lord Jesus, additional favor may still be earned. Look at Anna and Simeon in the Temple who earned the privilage of living until Baby Jesus came.

Matt. 23:1-3 - The Pharisees were not dealing with people saved through faith in Jesus. Therefore, they could not earn actual Blessing. Irrelevant passage.

John 14:15 - Jesus was not referring to attaining Salvation, but to Fellowship with Him after Salvation. That is exactly what I am pointing out in this thread.

John 14:21 & 15:10 & 15:14 - Again shows earning favor after being Saved.

1 John 2:6 & 3:4, Eccl. 12:14, Rev. 14:12 - Not relevant here, none of these speak of earning favor. Why cite?

Perhaps you might think a little more carefully before trotting out a bunch of verses like these which do not relate to the issue at hand.

Just as a Carnal Christian will be corrected and chastised by God, even to the point of physical death, so shall an Obedient Christian gain much favor and blessing while on Earth. That is what walking in the Light is all about.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It doesn't matter what version you use.

Then don't make ridiculous claims such as "Your personal version of the Bible is so grossly inept".

And, for the record, I'm very familiar with the NKJV

Good for you.

and it teaches exactly what I am presenting.

No, it doesn't. No Bible does.

Yes, if you are going to insist on changing the subject to something that is not related to the topic of this thread, you need to start a new thread. That's how this forum (and most others) works.

I'm more than happy to discuss other topics with you, but not in this thread.

Already proved my position with Scripture.

Asserting your position and posting some scripture verses does not qualify as "proving one's position," especially since I have made counter-arguments to your claims.

The Bible says it. That makes it so.

No, the Bible says something, but you've ripped it out of context and made it say what you want it to say to fit your beliefs.

There is only one THE Church of Christ mentioned in the Bible.
(Matthew 16:18)

Nope. There are at least two.

The one you just mentioned, and the Body of Christ.

But this needs its own thread.

No need. I proved my position with Scripture.

Supra.

Stubbornly denying Scripture doesn't make it disappear from the Bible.

Of course not.

But your claims are not founded in scripture. They use scripture, sure, but they ignore the context. Huge difference.

Unless you commit any of the sins I listed, you do not break those particular Commandments. Therefore you obey them. Simple logic.

Nope. "Not breaking a particular commandment" does not equate to "placing myself under the law."

It's not an ad hominem attack to describe someone as being a hypocrite if you have already made the case that they are acting in a hypocritical way.

Which you haven't done.

But, due to the way you interact here, stubbornly refusing correction

You have yet to show me that I'm wrong. Instead, so far, you've used at least 3 fallacious arguments against my position. Me? Zero.

and flat denying Scripture

Not once have I denied any scripture.

that is presented to the contrary of your claims,

There are no scriptures contrary to my claims, because my paradigm of beliefs takes into account apparent contradictions between passages (such as between Romans 4:5 and James 2:24) that cannot simply be reconciled by saying they mean the same thing when in fact, they mean the exact opposite.

I'm not saying my position is unfalsifiable, I'm saying that you're going to have to put in a lot more work to falsify my beliefs than just quote a few scripture verses that seem to support your beliefs.

Iron sharpens iron. Try sharpening your blade here.

it is clear that I shouldn't interact with you. It's a waste of my time

I can't force you to interact with me.

But if you're going to interact with me (and this board, for that matter), you're going to need to grow thicker skin for regular interactions.

and I can't tolerate dishonesty

Not once have I been dishonest with you.

for the sheer sake of refusing to admit when you're wrong.

You have yet to show me that I'm wrong. But you won't be able to if you refuse to engage, so...

Up to you, I guess.

Old Hat

Perhaps you might think a little more carefully before trotting out a bunch of verses like these which do not relate to the issue at hand.
On the contrary, I answered your thread title in my post with this statement: "Yes, we are required to obey; and yes, obeying the 10 Commandments does put us in alignment with God and His Favor."

I followed it up with many verses to make my case.

The kingdom IS here now and will be turned over to the Father upon Jesus' return just exactly as Scripture says it will.

"... they that are Christ's at His coming. Then cometh the end, when He shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when He shall have put down all rule and all authority and power."

(1 Corinthians 15:24)

Perhaps you might think a little more carefully before speaking as an expert on any Biblical concept when your grasp of Scripture is sub-par.

Old Hat

Then don't make ridiculous claims such as "Your personal version of the Bible is so grossly inept".
Your version of what the Bible teaches, your doctrinal structure, is what is grossly inept.
No, it doesn't. No Bible does.
How would you know if any Bible teaches what I'm presenting? You must first have an accurate grasp of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation. You clearly don't. Your expertise is in "taught traditions of men."
Yes, if you are going to insist on changing the subject to something that is not related to the topic of this thread, you need to start a new thread. That's how this forum (and most others) works.
I have presented the Truth from Scripture to prove my position. No need for 100 pages of discussion on that particular topic.
Asserting your position and posting some scripture verses does not qualify as "proving one's position," especially since I have made counter-arguments to your claims.
It does if the person you are discussing with is honest.
No, the Bible says something, but you've ripped it out of context and made it say what you want it to say to fit your beliefs.
Context is the battle cry of the modern mainstream teachers of False Doctrine. The Bible is plain in what it teaches.
your claims are not founded in scripture. They use scripture, sure, but they ignore the context. Huge difference.
See above.
"Not breaking a particular commandment" does not equate to "placing myself under the law."
Straw Man. You're the only one speaking of being under law. If you drive under a posted speed limit, you are obeying that law whether you like it or not. If you drive over said limit, you are breaking that law ... like it or not.
Not once have I denied any scripture.
Not once, but many times now.
I'm not saying my position is unfalsifiable, I'm saying that you're going to have to put in a lot more work to falsify my beliefs than just quote a few scripture verses that seem to support your beliefs.

Iron sharpens iron. Try sharpening your blade here.
There's no point in all that work. This aint my first rodeo. I could show you 100 verses to prove that the Bible disagrees with your positions and you would shuck off each and every one with some nonsensical objection and twisting of God's Word.

You can't sharpen iron that is unwilling to be sharpened. God says the man who is unwilling to be corrected is a fool. Correct me with plain Scripture and I rejoice. Throw up nonsensical dodgy objections to The Word that is presented to you and reveal your true colors.
if you're going to interact with me (and this board, for that matter), you're going to need to grow thicker skin for regular interactions.
Thick skin has nothing to do with it. Nobody's hurting my feelings. Corruption is easily detected when you've been at this game for over a decade. There are a very few individuals here running things. Those individuals operate under multiple User Names. It is not at all difficult to tell who you are interacting with once you've had a few exchanges, especially when there is not the slightest consideration for what I am presenting. Only immediate denial and challenging of any and all information presented. Your purpose here is not to discuss Scripture - it is to push agenda. Period.
Not once have I been dishonest with you.
You have yet to show me that I'm wrong. But you won't be able to if you refuse to engage, so...
Showing you you're wrong and somehow forcing you to admit it are two different things. I have no interest in the latter.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Your version of what the Bible teaches, your doctrinal structure, is what is grossly inept.

How would you know if any Bible teaches what I'm presenting?

This ain't my first rodeo with a new member on TOL, Hat.

You're the typical "God doesn't change, the Body of Christ is spiritual Israel" believer. We've had plenty of those.

Your arguments are not new, so simply quoting a verse or two in support of your position won't cut it.

TOL has been around since the early 2000's. If you're going to stick around, you should step up your game.

You must first have an accurate grasp of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation.

I completely agree!

You clearly don't.

We've hardly interacted on TOL since you joined. You can't know that yet.

Your expertise is in "taught traditions of men."

Nope. What my expertise in is truck driving.

I just debate on here in my free time.

I have presented the Truth from Scripture to prove my position.

You've presented prooftexts to support your position.

Prooftexts that I and several other people on TOL are familiar with.

No need for 100 pages of discussion on that particular topic.

Which is why I recommend just browsing through some of the thousands of pages that have already been there done that.

If you think you have a new argument to make, then make it, and support it. Otherwise, there's nothing new under the sun.

It does if the person you are discussing with is honest.

I have not been dishonest at all here.

Context is the battle cry of the modern mainstream teachers of False Doctrine.

And yet, context is why we know that "[Judas] went away and hanged himself" and "Go and do likewise" (both of those phrases are verses in scripture) are not a command to anyone ever, because suicide is a sin.

The Bible is plain in what it teaches.

Yes it is. So take your blinders off and be willing to learn.

Straw Man. You're the only one speaking of being under law. If you drive under a posted speed limit, you are obeying that law whether you like it or not. If you drive over said limit, you are breaking that law ... like it or not.

My answer is contained within 1 Corinthians 6-9.

QUOTE ME.

There's no point in all that work.

There is. It's edification of the mind.

This aint my first rodeo.

Nor is this mine, as I said above.

You want to convince me you're right, then you need to put in more effort than quoting a few bible verses and saying I'm wrong.

I could show you 100 verses to prove that the Bible disagrees with your positions and you would shuck off each and every one with some nonsensical objection and twisting of God's Word.

Or, you could provide an explanation as to how those verses support your position, to which I will respond with my arguments that use those same scriptures for my position, while also quoting other verses to support my position.

I certainly think that's more valuable.

You can't sharpen iron that is unwilling to be sharpened.

Here I am, telling you that I'm willing to be convinced.

God says the man who is unwilling to be corrected is a fool.

INDEED!

Correct me with plain Scripture and I rejoice.

The same applies to me!

Throw up nonsensical dodgy objections to The Word that is presented to you and reveal your true colors.

Why would I make nonsensical arguments?

Instead of automatically assuming that you're right, try being willing to listen, and I will make every effort to do the same.

Thick skin has nothing to do with it. Nobody's hurting my feelings.

Then why are you acting so defensive?

Corruption is easily detected when you've been at this game for over a decade.

Maybe it's not corruption you're detecting? Have you considered that one witness is not enough to determine a matter. That's God's standard, by the way. You're just one person, maybe your perspective isn't enough?

There are a very few individuals here running things.

Yup. TOL isn't as busy as it used to be 15 years ago, sadly.

Those individuals operate under multiple User Names.

No one here is operating sock accounts. Sock accounts get banned.

It is not at all difficult to tell who you are interacting with once you've had a few exchanges,

You're right. There's only one other user I know of who thinks that TOL is run by only a few people who operate many sock accounts. It ain't you? Good. Then don't make the same accusation against the rest of TOL's users.

especially when there is not the slightest consideration for what I am presenting.

I told you that if you want to make an argument that isn't on topic to this thread, to make a new thread, and talk about it there. And I've even stated that I would be more than happy to engage you on whatever subject it is.

Don't be a troll.

Only immediate denial

Again, you aren't the first person to make assertions on TOL.

Here's a bit of advice: Assertions made without evidence can and will be dismissed without evidence.

and challenging of any and all information presented.

Yes, that's what this forum is about. Challenging others' ideas.

As I said: Iron sharpening iron.

Your purpose here is not to discuss Scripture

Yes, it is.

- it is to push agenda. Period.

False. Period.

QUOTE. ME.

Showing you you're wrong and somehow forcing you to admit it are two different things. I have no interest in the latter.

I am more than happy to admit when I am wrong.

You haven't shown me to be wrong yet though. Haven't even tried.

Get to it! :)

Old Hat

You're the typical "God doesn't change, the Body of Christ is spiritual Israel" believer. We've had plenty of those.

Your arguments are not new, so simply quoting a verse or two in support of your position won't cut it.

TOL has been around since the early 2000's. If you're going to stick around, you should step up your game.
There's no reason for me to do anything differently, or with more energy or enthusiasm. It's God's game and it's His Truth. His Word speaks for itself. You either hear/see it or you don't.
We've hardly interacted on TOL since you joined. You can't know that yet.
And yet I do.
What my expertise in is truck driving.
At least you admit it's not in the Bible.
You've presented prooftexts to support your position.

Prooftexts that I and several other people on TOL are familiar with.
Just because others agree with your position, doesn't mean it's accurate. The majority of Christendom could agree with you and you could still be wrong with God. And, you're right, that's likely the case.
You want to convince me you're right, then you need to put in more effort than quoting a few bible verses and saying I'm wrong.
Convincing you isn't important, and being right doesn't do anything for me; it's speaking the Truth of God's Word and informing those who are capable of being informed, and awakening those who God chooses to awaken, that really matters. I am not often given the privilege of knowing when that happens, but God is keeping track for me; and it's His record that matters.
Here I am, telling you that I'm willing to be convinced.
If plain, pure, Scripture doesn't convince you, you're not capable of being convinced.
"... If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." (Luke 16:31)
Instead of automatically assuming that you're right, try being willing to listen, and I will make every effort to do the same.
I don't have to assume anything. God is right. I'm speaking HIS Words. What you're up against in denying Scripture is unimaginably larger and more significant than your wildest dreams (or nightmares).
It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. (Heb. 10:31)
Maybe it's not corruption you're detecting? Have you considered that one witness is not enough to determine a matter. That's God's standard, by the way. You're just one person, maybe your perspective isn't enough?
On the contrary, those who speak Truth to power for the Lord God Almighty are accompanied by armies the likes of which you cannot imagine.
"The angel (plural) of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them."
(Psalm 34:7)
"Lord, I pray Thee, open his eyes, that he may see. ... and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about..." (2 Kings 6:17)

And The Word is the only Witness I need.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
There's no reason for me to do anything differently, or with more energy or enthusiasm. It's God's game and it's His Truth. His Word speaks for itself. You either hear/see it or you don't.

Sure.

Yet you aren't going to get very far on TOL if you're not even willing to consider that you might be wrong about some things.

And yet I do.

That's debatable.

At least you admit it's not in the Bible.

Just because it's not in the Bible doesn't mean I can't defend my beliefs.

Just because others agree with your position, doesn't mean it's accurate.

Who said they agreed with me?

I was just stating that you aren't the first one to show up on TOL with your particular beliefs.

The majority of Christendom could agree with you and you could still be wrong with God.

Yup. We agree.

And, you're right, that's likely the case.

I'm glad you at least recognize the possibility.

We're making progress!

Convincing you isn't important, and being right doesn't do anything for me;

Truth matters, and ideas have consequences.

If your ideas are false, and you present them as truth, you only harm yourself and those you present them to, either here on TOL or elsewhere.

it's speaking the Truth of God's Word

As above, if what you present as "the Truth of God's Word," as you call it, is wrong, or in any way incorrect, to that extent, it only brings about confusion.

and informing those who are capable of being informed, and awakening those who God chooses to awaken, that really matters.

You sound like a Calvinist.

I am not often given the privilege of knowing when that happens, but God is keeping track for me; and it's His record that matters.

Fluff that hardly means anything here.

If plain, pure, Scripture doesn't convince you, you're not capable of being convinced.

Or, I've already been convinced by something far more convincing, like, say, the entire context of the Bible.

"... If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." (Luke 16:31)

Which is why it's important to preach Moses and the prophets, so to speak, and not our personal interpretation of the scriptures concerning them.

I don't have to assume anything.

That's what you're doing.

God is right.

We agree. Let's conform to what HE says.

I'm speaking HIS Words.

No, you're not. What you're doing is repeating what you've been taught to say.

What you're up against in denying Scripture is unimaginably larger and more significant than your wildest dreams (or nightmares).

Begging the question is a logical fallacy. Don't do that.

I'm not denying any scripture, else you'd be able to quote me doing so.

It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. (Heb. 10:31)

We agree!

On the contrary, those who speak Truth to power for the Lord God Almighty are accompanied by armies the likes of which you cannot imagine.

Agreed!

"The angel (plural) of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them."
(Psalm 34:7)

AMEN!

"Lord, I pray Thee, open his eyes, that he may see. ... and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about..." (2 Kings 6:17)

Not quite. See, this is what I'm talking about, ripping scripture out of it's context.

And The Word is the only Witness I need.

Agreed.

Jenkins

On the contrary, I answered your thread title in my post with this statement: "Yes, we are required to obey; and yes, obeying the 10 Commandments does put us in alignment with God and His Favor."

I followed it up with many verses to make my case.

The kingdom IS here now and will be turned over to the Father upon Jesus' return just exactly as Scripture says it will.

"... they that are Christ's at His coming. Then cometh the end, when He shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when He shall have put down all rule and all authority and power."

(1 Corinthians 15:24)

Perhaps you might think a little more carefully before speaking as an expert on any Biblical concept when your grasp of Scripture is sub-par.
Jesus delivering up the Kingdom takes place after Daniel's 70th. Week of Tribulation after The Beast, Prophet, and Satan are tossed into Hell. Then the Kingdom will be inflate for the 1000 Year Dispensation.

Christ is not today ruling with His Rod of Iron, as many cults try to imagine. He will layer on. It is wise of you to seek knowledge thru God's Word which applies to this topic, rather than random verses unrelated.