Is is wrong to "cherry pick"?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I would not look to Wikipedia for sound Biblical doctrine.

I'm not. I'm simply providing a definition to a word.

I do understand that it may offer useful information but rarely.

Would you like me to quote the definition of "cherry picking" from some other source? What source would you accept?

However, We see in scripture that men and women of God who knew their stuff consistenly referred to scripture

Of course they do, but never to the exclusion of other scripture.

How about looking at Jesus example when he was tempted by the Devil? did he cower? did he submit? No, he picked verses that appropriately rebutted the Devil's abuse of scripture.

What he didn't do was point to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position, which is what cherry picking is.

Are you accusing Jesus of cherry picking?

Did he point to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position?

If not, then no.

I am sure you are not, but what is wrong with picking scriptures that pertain to the subject at hand.

I have nothing against choosing scripture to support one's position on a particular subject.

What I have a problem with is pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position.

oatmeal

I'm not. I'm simply providing a definition to a word.

I get that.

Would you like me to quote the definition of "cherry picking" from some other source? What source would you accept?

Not necessary, I understand the meaning as commonly used, it is used derogatorily towards those who are narrow minded when it comes to scripture. Denominations of all sorts are notorious for that.

Of course they do, but never to the exclusion of other scripture.

When we search the Bible to find out what God has to say on a subject, we want to look at all pertinent scriptures, not just those that support our denomination or favorite position. I personally do not care about my opinion or anyone else's. I want to know what God has to say.

What he didn't do was point to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position, which is what cherry picking is.

Yes, that is typically what the derogatory meaning of that phrase is.

Did he point to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position?

If not, then no.

For instance, If I am going to do a search on the topic of resurrection, it behooves me, as the bare mininum to find all the verses that have the word, "resurrection" in it. Certainly, I would want to check context and other related verses as well So, in that sense since I am looking for the cherry subject of resurrection, I would go to those verses that are about resurrection not verses about child rearing. That, for me, is the positive side of cherry picking

I have nothing against choosing scripture to support one's position on a particular subject.

If my view is skewed by only selecting verses that support my position without incorporating verses that do not agree with my position, then my search is deceitful from the start.
What I have a problem with is pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position.

Yes, I agree

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If my view is skewed by only selecting verses that support my position without incorporating verses that do not agree with my position, then my search is deceitful from the start.

Yes, that's the entire point of this thread, and is exactly what cherry picking means.

In other words, you agree that it's wrong to cherry pick!

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Yes, that's the entire point of this thread, and is exactly what cherry picking means.

Yeah it's kind of like titling the thread "Is [it] wrong to 'shoot yourself in the foot'? yes or no"

Typical oatmeal tbh.

oatmeal

lol no "cherry picking" is an expression, like "shooting yourself in the foot". :D

I have been to cherry orchards to cherry pick. I don't see why cherry picking has to be negative, especially if you seek cherries

I have favorite verses, I cherry picked them because like cherries, they are tasty and healthy and helpful to my mind, heart and life.

If you want to consider "cherry picking" with solely negative connotations, that is your choice.

Choose you this day who you will serve, God or your favorite theology

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I have been to cherry orchards to cherry pick. I don't see why cherry picking has to be negative, especially if you seek cherries

Picking cherries is not what we're talking about.

Look, if you want to understand the reasoning behind why cherry picking is called that, then go do your own research. I've posted the Wikipedia link, you can start there.

But don't complain to us that a phrase that has been in use for many centuries longer than you or I have been alive has a negative connotation.

If you don't like that it's called cherry picking, that's too bad. Deal with it.

I have favorite verses, I cherry picked them because like cherries, they are tasty and healthy and helpful to my mind, heart and life.

If you want to consider "cherry picking" with solely negative connotations, that is your choice.

I didn't make up the phrase. "Cherry Picking" is not a good thing when it comes to discussions.

Picking cherries is not.

Deal with it.

Choose you this day who you will serve, God or your favorite theology

False dilemma.

Stop with the fallacies, Oatsy. They ain't gonna get you anywhere with me.

oatmeal

Picking cherries is not what we're talking about.

Look, if you want to understand the reasoning behind why cherry picking is called that, then go do your own research. I've posted the Wikipedia link, you can start there.

But don't complain to us that a phrase that has been in use for many centuries longer than you or I have been alive has a negative connotation.

If you don't like that it's called cherry picking, that's too bad. Deal with it.

I didn't make up the phrase. "Cherry Picking" is not a good thing when it comes to discussions.

Picking cherries is not.

Deal with it.

False dilemma.

Stop with the fallacies, Oatsy. They ain't gonna get you anywhere with me.
If you wish to turn rightly dividing the word of truth by picking passages to the issue at hand, into a negative, that is your loss.

Idolater

If you wish to turn rightly dividing the word of truth by picking passages to the issue at hand, into a negative, that is your loss.
You used the wrong expression or idiom. You meant proof-texting. "Is it wrong to proof-text?" your OP should have read.

Or something like that. You used the wrong idiom.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
. . . you . . . turn rightly dividing the word of truth by picking passages to the issue at hand, into a negative. . .

I do not.

Please stop misrepresenting my position, Oatmeal.

I have CLEARLY and UNEQUIVOCALLY stated that I am not against picking verses that fit a belief.

I have also CLEARLY and UNEQUIVOCALLY stated that I am against doing so TO THE EXCLUSION OF VERSES THAT CONTRADICT OR SEEM TO CONTRADICT THAT POSITION.

To which you yourself agreed:

Yes, I agree

Are you now going back on what you said? Shame on you.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You used the wrong expression or idiom. You meant proof-texting. "Is it wrong to proof-text?" your OP should have read.

Or something like that. You used the wrong idiom.

There is nothing inherently wrong with proof-texting.

It's when you do so to the extent that you ignore verses that contradict your position that it becomes a problem.

When one rightly divides scripture, the entire Bible becomes a proof-text, with no problem texts.

Idolater

There is nothing inherently wrong with proof-texting.

It's when you do so to the extent that you ignore verses that contradict your position that it becomes a problem.

When one rightly divides scripture, the entire Bible becomes a proof-text, with no problem texts.
I agree.

oatmeal

I do not.

Please stop misrepresenting my position, Oatmeal.

I have CLEARLY and UNEQUIVOCALLY stated that I am not against picking verses that fit a belief.

I have also CLEARLY and UNEQUIVOCALLY stated that I am against doing so TO THE EXCLUSION OF VERSES THAT CONTRADICT OR SEEM TO CONTRADICT THAT POSITION.

To which you yourself agreed:

Are you now going back on what you said? Shame on you.
You are right, I goofed up. That was a knee jerk response instead of a thoughtful one.

I should be more careful in how I respond to people here, people have dismissed me, insulted me, used deragatory names against me so often on this website that my trained response is simple, it is to assume that anyone who has expressed a differing view in the past is going to simply insult, disparage and demean me. Hardly a culture of open polite discussion

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
It is inevitable that we will use scriptures that support what we believe.
So long as the Bible does not support what you believe, it is inevitable that any and every verse you pick will be a verse that does not support what you believe.

But I take it you mean that it is inevitable that we will pick verses we think support what we believe.