How to become an atheist in ten easy lessons

PureX

Everything you say indicates you don't know much about kids. Kids do stupid, self-harming stuff all the time. They run into walls, fall down stairs, stand perilously close to ledges, roll off beds, fall out of chairs, touch sharp objects, stick their hands into electrical sockets, etc. They do not always know what's bad for them until they experience otherwise.
They do those things because they don't realize they will be harmed by it. They are not doing it because they have no sense of self-preservation.
Using the examples I gave above, that makes no sense. No religion I know of teaches it's morally wrong to accidentally fall down the stairs.
I don't know why you brought accidents up. They have nothing to do with morality, or how it originates. They are simply another means by which we humans learn what can harm us, and to avoid it if possible.
What's your evidence that it's biological? Is there a gene for empathy? And don't tell me it has to do with brain structure or chemicals.
Most life forms are born with certain survival behavior inclinations built into them, genetically. And we can observe this very easily. Humans are no different. The infant crying loudly when hungry, or otherwise in need. The infant's desire and ability to mimic facial expressions, and sounds. These are behavioral inclinations that human infants are born with. And as with everything human beings are born with, they come by them genetically. Just as our body structure is genetically determined, so is the structure and resultant function of our brains. And that's how behaviors can be 'programmed' into us by our genetic code.
Which leaves you to explain how this happens. Where do these abstract thoughts come from?
Thoughts don't "come from" anywhere. They are developed as part of the biological phenomenon of human consciousness. The more complex and abstract the thought, the longer it takes for the brain to develop them. Naturally.

iouae

Actually, most of the Christians on TOL have a world view that the world and it's people are hopelessly flawed, are hopelessly doomed to hell (except themselves, of course) and deserve every misfortune that happens to them. They do not question why evil is allowed to happen to us because they believe in evil as much as they believe in God. The evil of the world is what makes them feel righteous. So they do not doubt, as you are implying. Because all this needless suffering makes sense, to them.

PureX

I sometimes sit down to design a world in which no evil could possibly happen. It always ends up looking like a man in a strait-jacket in a padded cell.

I respect your opinion so I want to ask you if you could do any better than me in designing a world in which no bad could happen that would be worth living in.

Last edited:

PureX

PureX

I sometimes sit down to design a world in which no evil could possibly happen. It always ends up looking like a man in a straight-jacket in a padded cell.
Here, we agree. The human brain does not have the information nor the intellectual abilities necessary to "correct creation". Yet we never seem to be able to humble ourselves enough to stop trying. In fact, this is the subject of the story of Eden in the Bible, and is the essence of what is referred to as mankind's "original sin".

Hubris. Human beings thinking they are demi-gods, and that they therefor have the right and the capacity to stand in judgment of all creation. (Presuming unto ourselves the knowledge of 'good and evil'. A knowledge that we do not, in fact, possess, beyond our own sense of self-preservation.)
I respect your opinion so I want to ask you if you could do any better than me in designing a world in which no bad could happen that would be worth living in.
We don't need to redesign the world. We simply need to redesign ourselves. And we need to start by practicing some humility. ;)

WizardofOz

A crazy thought!

My grandson, now 13, a highly intelligent lad whose mother is a Christian, questioned her belief in Jesus when he was only two. He asked her how she could believe in someone she couldn't see, hear or feel! He is an atheist.
:rolleyes:
I'm calling baloney on this one...

iouae

Here, we agree. The human brain does not have the information nor the intellectual abilities necessary to "correct creation". Yet we never seem to be able to humble ourselves enough to stop trying. In fact, this is the subject of the story of Eden in the Bible, and is the essence of what is referred to as mankind's "original sin".

Hubris. Human beings thinking they are demi-gods, and that they therefor have the right and the capacity to stand in judgment of all creation. (Presuming unto ourselves the knowledge of 'good and evil'. A knowledge that we do not, in fact, possess, beyond our own sense of self-preservation.)
We don't need to redesign the world. We simply need to redesign ourselves. And we need to start by practicing some humility. ;)

Great observations :)

badp

Thoughts don't "come from" anywhere. They are developed as part of the biological phenomenon of human consciousness. The more complex and abstract the thought, the longer it takes for the brain to develop them. Naturally.

So then you do think a belief in God has a biological basis and isn't something that must be taught.

rstrats

PureX,
re: "That isn't what I posted. But I think you know that."

If he knows that that is not what you posted, what do you suppose he hopes to gain by saying that you did?

GuySmiley

A crazy thought!

My grandson, now 13, a highly intelligent lad whose mother is a Christian, questioned her belief in Jesus when he was only two. He asked her how she could believe in someone she couldn't see, hear or feel! He is an atheist.
:chuckle: These are the dumbest stories. Two years old, sure.

badp

That isn't what I posted. But I think you know that. So we're done here.

It's what you think.

And if it's not, you need to retract your earlier claim that children can't conceive of God on their own.

badp

badp,
re: "4. Regularly engage in cognitive dissonance. Exclaim that you don't believe in God, then immediately talk about how 'mean' God was in the Old Testament."

How is that cognitive dissonance?

They say they don't believe in God, so it's inconsistent to complain about the nature of God.

It's like saying, "I don't believe in Santa. Santa is evil for going down people's chimneys."

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Being a Calvinist I take the position that it is the atheist who is to blame for not being able to see God in nature. But the atheist is not alone because nature shows us the glory of God in vain. Nature cannot lead anyone to God because of our blindness toward God. It is the Church that leads men to God and nothing else. Herein is the problem from the atheist' point of view. The political church, for want of a better name fails to live up to the Faith. And the atheist is fixated on the failure. He cannot see the hidden church. The one without failure.

Blindness is one thing hypocrisy is another. The atheist must take a leap of faith to get to the position he takes. This leap of faith is his religion.

Truster

Being a Calvinist I take the position that it is the atheist who is to blame for not being able to see God in nature. But the atheist is not alone because nature shows us the glory of God in vain. Nature cannot lead anyone to God because of our blindness toward God. It is the Church that leads men to God and nothing else. Herein is the problem from the atheist' point of view. The political church, for want of a better name fails to live up to the Faith. And the atheist is fixated on the failure. He cannot see the hidden church. The one without failure.

Blindness is one thing hypocrisy is another. The atheist must take a leap of faith to get to the position he takes. This leap of faith is his religion.

And like all Calvinists your doctrine is as confused as you are. There are so many holes in what you have stated that I'm not even going to bother pointing them all out. Your contradictions are certainly showing and I'm sure that a Calvinist would disown you.

Truster

PS I hate that statement ''as a Calvinist'' or as a ''Roman Catholic'' or as a take your pick out of 41,000 denominations.

rstrats

badp,
re: "They say they don't believe in God, so it's inconsistent to complain about the nature of God."

I don't see why that has to be the case. Why does a person have to believe in the existence of a supreme being in order to discuss what someone is saying or writing about this supposed supreme being?

re: "It's like saying, 'I don't believe in Santa. Santa is evil for going down people's chimneys.'"

What they really mean is that if there were a Santa he would be evil if he were to go down people's chimneys.

rstrats

dialm,
re: "Being a Calvinist I take the position that it is the atheist who is to blame for not being able to see God in nature. But the atheist is not alone because nature shows us the glory of God in vain. Nature cannot lead anyone to God because of our blindness toward God. It is the Church that leads men to God and nothing else."

I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't seem quite right with that statement.

Truster

dialm,
re: "Being a Calvinist I take the position that it is the atheist who is to blame for not being able to see God in nature. But the atheist is not alone because nature shows us the glory of God in vain. Nature cannot lead anyone to God because of our blindness toward God. It is the Church that leads men to God and nothing else."

I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't seem quite right with that statement.

""something"? four statements fly in the face of scripture.