How to become an atheist in ten easy lessons

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Nobody is born an atheist, atheism is something learned. The belief in the Creator is self evident, it's just the religion that is lacking.

Truster

No one is born an atheist?

I would advise you to do a study on the term atheist. Paul uses it once in scripture and the English translation of the word gives the precise meaning and not what it has become to mean.

exminister

I would advise you to do a study on the term atheist. Paul uses it once in scripture and the English translation of the word gives the precise meaning and not what it has become to mean.

Which book, chapter and verse please.

iamthequeenoffrance.jpg

PureX

An interesting question: 'are we born atheists?'

My first thought would be that we are, and we would probably remain so through childhood, if left to our own accord. Simply because children don't ask the kinds of questions, in earnest, that would cause them to contemplate realms of existence beyond their own. But as young adults, I think it would be a different story. I think, then, such existential questions would become important and the possibility of higher powers and principalities would become intellectually useful in dealing with those questions.

Clearly, human beings all over the world are overwhelmingly inclined toward theism, so I have to assume that this inclination comes to us, naturally. But I don't see it coming naturally to children. I just don't think they have a need for it. Theology is an adult phenomena.

badp

The human mind tends toward rejecting God, so nobody is born atheist, but left unchecked, their conscience can quickly become seared to the point of simply not considering Him. Even children can become functional atheists.

It's worse when you have idiot parents who try to teach their kids atheism, as if it's a valid intellectual pursuit. I imagine there's a special place in hell for them.

PureX

The human mind tends toward rejecting God, so nobody is born atheist, but left unchecked, their conscience can quickly become seared to the point of simply not considering Him. Even children can become functional atheists.

It's worse when you have idiot parents who try to teach their kids atheism, as if it's a valid intellectual pursuit. I imagine there's a special place in hell for them.
This is nonsense. The idea of "God" would not occur to a child, spontaneously. Such an idea is far too abstract for a child to need or invent. "God" is an adult idea that gets taught to children and is generally left unquestioned until they become adults.

badp

This is nonsense. The idea of "God" would not occur to a child, spontaneously. Such an idea is far too abstract for a child to need or invent. "God" is an adult idea that gets taught to children and is generally left unquestioned until they become adults.

I suppose next you'll say that truth, justice, fairness, good, and evil are all concepts that are too abstract for children.

PureX

I suppose next you'll say that truth, justice, fairness, good, and evil are all concepts that are too abstract for children.
None of us are born with those concepts in our minds. They all have to be taught to us over the course of our childhoods. And we are able to grasp them at different stages of our development, depending on our ability to grasp their abstract complexity.

badp

None of us are born with those concepts in our minds. They all have to be taught to us over the course of our childhoods. And we are able to grasp them at different stages of our development, depending on our ability to grasp their abstract complexity.

You're wrong.