How Should We Now Live?

Interplanner

Nope, that's works crowd material

Sorry, PJ, you can't do this subject with that kind of literalism. You're right if the person reading thinks they can obligate God to themselves. But those verses are written 'in honorium'--they are responsive to the grace of God in the Gospel, where 'his load is easy and his burden is light.' People who are doing things in honor of Christ are not scheming to obligate God. You're wrong if you take it that way.

This is why 'our righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees.' From their hard-hearted position, that is very difficult. From the position of the broken, remorseful woman who realized Christ forgave much, it is very easy, Lk 7.

Interplanner

I think God DOES accept the works & the obedience of sinners who have stopped practicing sin and who have accepted Christ's sacrifice in their behalf and then go on following him.

"Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely." (I Peter 2:21)

"Do your utmost to be found finally by him spotless and unblemished and in peace." (2 Peter 3:14)

There is obviously something we have to DO to follow Christ. True, we cannot save ourselves. We must accept Christ's redemption actions for us. THEN we must DO what he has expressed to us. ("You are my friends if you DO what I am commanding you." John 15:14)

We must remember that Gal 2:20 was written about his former life in Judaism. That is what died.

Robert Pate

Banned
Addressed here and here.

End of thread.

Catholicism is a denial of the Historical Gospel of Jesus Christ. You need to drop out of it.

Jesus has ALREADY reconciled the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. Making your Catholic religion worthless. You cannot do what God has ALREADY done in Jesus Christ. What you need to do is accept what God has ALREADY done for you in Jesus Christ, instead of trying to duplicate it through religion.

Cruciform

Catholicism is a denial of the Historical Gospel of Jesus Christ. You need to drop out of it. Jesus has ALREADY reconciled the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. Making your Catholic religion worthless. You cannot do what God has ALREADY done in Jesus Christ. What you need to do is accept what God has ALREADY done for you in Jesus Christ, instead of trying to duplicate it through religion.
Post #23

Robert Pate

Banned
I think God DOES accept the works & the obedience of sinners who have stopped practicing sin and who have accepted Christ's sacrifice in their behalf and then go on following him.

"Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely." (I Peter 2:21)

"Do your utmost to be found finally by him spotless and unblemished and in peace." (2 Peter 3:14)

There is obviously something we have to DO to follow Christ. True, we cannot save ourselves. We must accept Christ's redemption actions for us. THEN we must DO what he has expressed to us. ("You are my friends if you DO what I am commanding you." John 15:14)

God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ.

No one is accepted that is not found to be "In Christ".

To be found in Christ means that you are trusting in his righteousness and in his atonement for your sins. Plus nothing.

All who have come to Christ to be saved by him receive the Holy Spirit, Galatians 3:2. The condition for receiving the Holy Spirit is that God must see you as perfect and complete "In Christ".

It is the Holy Spirit working in the life of the believer that will produce the Christian life and good works.

beloved57

I've read enough of your posts to know that you erroneously teach salvation by Jesus' death instead of by his life.
When you want to know what I believe, just read my threads, I have articulated what I believe by them.

KingdomRose

God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ.

No one is accepted that is not found to be "In Christ".

To be found in Christ means that you are trusting in his righteousness and in his atonement for your sins.

Isn't that what I said in my post??? First we have to accept Christ's sacrifice! That is what I said.

Robert Pate

Banned
Isn't that what I said in my post??? First we have to accept Christ's sacrifice! That is what I said.

No, you said that God does accept the works and the obedience of sinners.

Even after you have accepted Christ as your savior you are still a sinner, Romans 3:23. A saved sinner, but nevertheless a sinner.

If you are to be saved it will have to be because of the merits of Jesus Christ. If you are not found to be "In Christ" in the judgement you will perish.

To be found "In Christ" means that you are trusting in HIS righteousness and in HIS atonement for your sins, plus nothing.

KingdomRose

I've read enough of your posts to know that you erroneously teach salvation by Jesus' death instead of by his life.

"Erroneously"??? That's the whole reason Jesus died! So we all could be saved from death. What Bible are you reading?

At the "Last Supper," Jesus broke the bread and passed it around, and also the cup of wine. He said that the bread represented his body and the wine his blood. Then he said, "For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's DEATH until he comes." (I Corinthians 11:26, NASB)

"Being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of DEATH, even death on a cross. For this reasonalso, God highly exalted him, and bestowed on him the name which is above every name." (Phil.2:8,9, NASB)

"For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in him, and through him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace THROUGH THE BLOOD OF HIS CROSS; through him...and although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet he has now reconciled you in his fleshly body THROUGH HIS DEATH, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach." (Colossians 1:19-22, NASB)

KingdomRose

No, you said that God does accept the works and the obedience of sinners.

Even after you have accepted Christ as your savior you are still a sinner, Romans 3:23. A saved sinner, but nevertheless a sinner.

If you are to be saved it will have to be because of the merits of Jesus Christ. If you are not found to be "In Christ" in the judgement you will perish.

To be found "In Christ" means that you are trusting in HIS righteousness and in HIS atonement for your sins, plus nothing.
What you said was: "God does not accept the works or the obedience of sinners, even sinners that claim they are indwelt with the grace or the virtue of Jesus Christ."

I say that is absolutely wrong. Of course God accepts what people do after they have accepted the grace & the virtue of Christ.

Robert Pate

Banned
What you said was: "God does not accept the works or the obedience of sinners, even sinners that claim they are indwelt with the grace or the virtue of Jesus Christ."

I say that is absolutely wrong. Of course God accepts what people do after they have accepted the grace & the virtue of Christ.

I didn't say people that have accepted the grace and the virtues of Christ. I was talking about Catholics that believe that they are indwelt with the grace and the virtues of Christ because of their works and that is what makes them acceptable to God.

No one will be saved that is not found to be "In Christ".

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
"Erroneously"??? That's the whole reason Jesus died! So we all could be saved from death.
What Bible are you reading?

We are not saved by Jesus' death, we are saved by his life in us.

For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. (Romans 5:10 NKJV)​

I'm reading the New King James Version, is it foreign to you?

Robert Pate

Banned
We are not saved by Jesus' death, we are saved by his life in us.

For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. (Romans 5:10 NKJV)​

I'm reading the New King James Version, is it foreign to you?

We are not saved by his life IN US. That is Catholic Romanism.

We are saved by the representative work that Jesus did for us.

In our name and on our behalf he fulfilled God's Holy Law.

In our name and on our behalf he atoned for our sins and the sins of the whole world.

We are justified by the doing and the dying of Jesus.