House Assemblies, and the Breaking of Bread

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
What has me questioning you, Christian, is how humble is humble enough?

Is your issue simply with ownership of property?

Holding onto legal tender could be considered ownership as well then, and you said that was okay as long as it is used for the good of others, as the owner sees fit.

Humble enough down to just basic needs, which includes not owning property. Cash is not in itself not a possession, because a man can have a million dollars, yet still live like a poor man.

marhig

Humble enough down to just basic needs, which includes not owning property. Cash is not in itself not a possession, because a man can have a million dollars, yet still live like a poor man.
I think that cash is a possession, especially if we build it up. Money should mean nothing to us. And we have to be careful not to love it and put it before God and not help others when we see the need, if we're not careful and money gets a hold of us, we can end up building up like the rich man in his barns!

I agree with what your say about houses. We have house meetings 4 times a week, we don't go to church, and most of us rent our homes as we don't believe in building up in this world. We can't take it with us, so what's the point in building up? The world and the wealth of it should mean nothing to us, We in our meeting, are grateful to God for blessing us with food, water and a roof over our heads. Once we start building up in the world, it can take a hold on us and we can start to put the things of this world before God. The less we have the better, and it's good to share what we do have, when we see the need.

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
I think that cash is a possession, especially if we build it up. Money should mean nothing to us. And we have to be careful not to love it and put it before God and not help others when we see the need, if we're not careful and money gets a hold of us, we can end up building up like the rich man in his barns!

I agree with what your say about houses. We have house meetings 4 times a week, we don't go to church, and most of us rent our homes as we don't believe in building up in this world. We can't take it with us, so what's the point in building up? The world and the wealth of it should mean nothing to us, We in our meeting, are grateful to God for blessing us with food, water and a roof over our heads. Once we start building up in the world, it can take a hold on us and we can start to put the things of this world before God. The less we have the better, and it's good to share what we do have, when we see the need.

I am not making a distinction between money and possessions to justify hoarding money, I am making the distinction, in accordance with scripture, that it is all your possessions that you must sell away, but your money that is left over, you must use to give to whoever has need... since giving are your sacrifices of righteousness that God wants. You must be willing to give it all away and freely share it, but however much you initially give after selling everything is whatever God puts in your heart, some, like Zacchaeus, gave half.

Eagles Wings

I am not making a distinction between money and possessions to justify hoarding money, I am making the distinction, in accordance with scripture, that it is all your possessions that you must sell away, but your money that is left over, you must use to give to whoever has need... since giving are your sacrifices of righteousness that God wants. You must be willing to give it all away and freely share it, but however much you initially give after selling everything is whatever God puts in your heart, some, like Zacchaeus, gave half.
You are talking about works, Christian, and you simply can't substantiate from the whole counsel of Scripture what you are proposing here.

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
You are talking about works, Christian, and you simply can't substantiate from the whole counsel of Scripture what you are proposing here.

Faith does not annul works, it brings about works, otherwise the faith itself is dead, hence, "faith without works is dead".

marhig

Why is it when people speak about putting God before the world do others come straight in and start going on about works?

I've noticed that many say that we don't have to do works. Yes we do! If we have the Spirit of God in our hearts, we will do the works of God and part of those works are to share when we see the need! If we have Gods love within, we should be finding it hard not to help others.

It's our own works that don't get us anywhere doing it and taking the glory for ourselves or doing it for our gain.

But doing the works because God has changed our hearts and doing them because love him and to glorify him is a totally different matter.

We are to do works, this is how others see our faith, by our works. The gospel is a doing gospel and not a hearing one only!

marhig

Yes, it's holding on to worldly possessions and putting them before God. We have to have the heart where we are willing to let them go, when zacchaeus gave half of what he had and repaid those he had defrauded fourfold, Jesus said "today salvation has come upon this house" it was because of zacchaeus' heart condition, when he heard the truth, he was willing to let his worldly possessions go. As I said, I believe it's better not to build up in this world, God wants us to walk away from the things of the world, not build up in it. And as you said, we should be willing to help when we see the need

Regarding money and in my own life, I believe that we a should earn enough to live on, and not live to excess. And share what we do have, when we see the need. I don't believe in spending wads of money on myself and in our house meeting, we are taught that it's better to come down and not climb up in the world. I believe that we should earn to live, not live to earn.

We are to do the will of God first, and God will look after us. The world will take care of itself. It loves building up and looking after its own.

Those who are last will be first, and the first will be last.

We can't serve God and mammon.

Last edited:

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Jesus wants all His followers to be the example of the world by living humility in both physically and spiritually.

Eagles Wings

Faith does not annul works, it brings about works, otherwise the faith itself is dead, hence, "faith without works is dead".
I have to hold back from being sarcastic, as this is Christianity 101.

Legalism would say that Christians may not own homes. I do not believe that is the teaching of Scripture.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The assemblies in the time of the apostles sold all their possessions and properties,

They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. (Acts 2:45 [NLT])

Do you know why? In your own words, then back it up with scripture.

Eagles Wings

Yes, it's holding on to worldly possessions and putting them before God. We have to have the heart where we are willing to let them go, when zacchaeus gave half of what he had and repaid those he had defrauded fourfold, Jesus said "today salvation has come upon this house" it was because of zacchaeus' heart condition, when he heard the truth, he was willing to let his worldly possessions go. As I said, I believe it's better not to build up in this world, God wants us to walk away from the things of the world, not build up in it. And as you said, we should be willing to help when we see the need

Regarding money and in my own life, I believe that we a should earn enough to live on, and not live to excess. And share what we do have, when we see the need. I don't believe in spending wads of money on myself and in our house meeting, we are taught that it's better to come down and not climb up in the world. I believe that we should earn to live, not live to earn.

We are to do the will of God first, and God will look after us. The world will take care of itself. It loves building up and looking after its own.

Those who are last will be first, and the first will be last.

We can't serve God and mammon.
I am impressed with some of things you say here.

I have recently been reminded that I can overbuy and covet even when I am at a garage sale and the items are quite affordable.

How many sets of $5.00 sheets does one really need? :)

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
I have to hold back from being sarcastic, as this is Christianity 101.

Legalism would say that Christians may not own homes. I do not believe that is the teaching of Scripture.

Legalism relates to specific matters of the law that are no longer observed because they were merely shadows, such as festivals, sabbaths, circumcision, abstaining from certain foods. However, matters such as repentance and humility, are mandates of Jesus Christ and the apostles, and they involve actions.

marhig

I am impressed with some of things you say here.

I have recently been reminded that I can overbuy and covet even when I am at a garage sale and the items are quite affordable.

How many sets of $5.00 sheets does one really need? :)
I've thought like that myself sometimes. I now try to only get what I need. I never used to be like that, I used to swap and change all the time. But now I know that it's wrong, and I don't need to go OTT. God has entirely changed the way I think and the way I do things. And I'm so grateful and I know that I'm blessed.

Eagles Wings

Legalism relates to specific matters of the law that are no longer observed because they were merely shadows, such as festivals, sabbaths, circumcision, abstaining from certain foods. However, matters such as repentance and humility, are mandates of Jesus Christ and the apostles, and they involve actions.
Yes, the believer's walk of holiness in/with/through, Jesus Christ, who is Lord and Saviour, involves repentance and humility. However, there is no mandate to rent only.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Yes, the believer's walk of holiness in/with/through, Jesus Christ, who is Lord and Saviour, involves repentance and humility. However, there is no mandate to rent only.

Do you believe it is essential to observe what Jesus teaches to be saved?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I accept/profess the biblical doctrine of the Holy Trinity, do you?

So you guys make your own essential doctrine to be saved.

You cannot find it saying you have to believe in the trinity to be saved.

Trinity is elitism to ostracize true Christians.