Honest Answers.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Yes, join in with all those who have little choice but to do that.

Stuart
Instead, taxpaying Americans have little choice but to contribute to a massive secular charitable organization administered by our elected officials.

Hawkins

Hello, I am a 17 year old male from the UK, and was brought up an atheist. I'm posting on here to ask a pressing question of mine. To me I don't feel I require faith, or religion however I'd like to try and understand why people do, so please, share your stories, why or how you have come to faith and why you feel you need it?

Please be as civil as possible.

Everyone will have to have faith, in one way or another.

You need faith to believe that,

1) Nothing could possibly happen after death. So that you don't need to think further beyond that.

or

2) Something could possibly happen after death. So that you prepare for what could possibly happen. This will explicitly become your religion.

You need faith because you don't really know.

Genesis prophecy 101,
God hid the Tree of Life from the reach of humans such that no one could possibly tell whether life will go on after death. And those choose to lean on their own intelligence/knowledge (Tree of of Knowledge, and you are tempted to lean on that) to make a decision, then the day they choose to eat of it the same day they shall surely die!

quip

BANNED
Banned
Hello, I am a 17 year old male from the UK, and was brought up an atheist. I'm posting on here to ask a pressing question of mine. To me I don't feel I require faith, or religion however I'd like to try and understand why people do, so please, share your stories, why or how you have come to faith and why you feel you need it?

There is by now evidence from a variety of laboratories around the world using a variety of methodological techniques leading to the virtually inescapable conclusion that the cognitive-motivational styles of leftists and rightists are quite different. This research consistently finds that conservatism is positively associated with heightened epistemic concerns for order, structure, closure, certainty, consistency, simplicity, and familiarity, as well as existential concerns such as perceptions of danger, sensitivity to threat, and death anxiety.

Source

Religion fits this to perfection.

Or as my signature alludes to....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To me I don't feel I require faith, or religion however I'd like to try and understand why people do, so please, share your stories, why or how you have come to faith and why you feel you need it?

You are not required to believe. If you choose eternity separate from the creator, he will oblige.

quip

BANNED
Banned
and yet the only confused one here appears to be you :idunno:

Why's that....because I lack a "heightened epistemic concerns for order, structure, closure, certainty, consistency, simplicity, and familiarity"?

I couldn't agree more!

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

There is by now evidence from a variety of laboratories around the world using a variety of methodological techniques leading to the virtually inescapable conclusion that the cognitive-motivational styles of leftists and rightists are quite different. This research consistently finds that conservatism is positively associated with heightened epistemic concerns for order, structure, closure, certainty, consistency, simplicity, and familiarity, as well as existential concerns such as perceptions of danger, sensitivity to threat, and death anxiety.

Source

Religion fits this to perfection.
It is the moral duty of those responsible for the safety of innocent people, to kill, when innocent people are or will be killed if they do not discharge their moral duty to kill.

john w

Hall of Fame
Because empathy is one of the most important traits a human can have, empathy for people and an understanding of why they feel how they feel, why they think how they think. How can you live in a world populated by 7 billion people without at least trying to gain some empathy for other people. You still don't understand why I am doing this. Its not in attempt to modify my own feelings towards things, but to learn why others have different ones. I honestly believe that people who have no want to understand others are the worst kind of people.
If you are an atheist, what is your "reference point" for asserting that empathy is "good?" How can you make a moral judgment, if you embrace "We eat, drink, be merry....Then we are worm food...the end?"

Unpack it for us.

quip

BANNED
Banned
It is the moral duty of those responsible for the safety of innocent people, to kill, when innocent people are or will be killed if they do not discharge their moral duty to kill.

What happened to "Thou shall not...."?

Epoisses

Jesus commended the Roman centurion for having great faith and he simply took Jesus at his word and trusted he was able to perform everything he had promised. Faith is synonymous with trust. God loves us and everything necessary for our Salvation is finished and complete in Christ. You just need to believe in Jesus which is often easier said than done.