History surrounding the Nicene Creed

jsanford108

Constantine did not accept Christanity until on his deathbed, he use Jesus to unite his political party which the people whose majority were Christians. He also decided what books stayed in the Bible and what books did not. He also introduce Easter a pagan holiday.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Well, the beginning of this response is true. Constantine did not accept Christianity until on his deathbed, etc. However, Constantine did not decide what books were canon, and he did not introduce Easter (which is not a pagan holiday; the bunny aspects are pagan, but the celebration of the Resurrection are in no way pagan).

Zeke

How many natives peoples around the world have been murdered and force fed Roman creeds and papal bulls? shine history all you want but you can't silence the spilled blood since her cannons starting firing her deadly traditions of men.

Zeke

Ignorant enslaved american citizens bowing one way or another to this fake christian institution who owns your souls on paper, their master destroying the planet with a pagan doctrine, that legitimized flesh and blood sacrifices the biggest hoax and lie in history Psalms 40:6.

jsanford108

How many natives peoples around the world have been murdered and force fed Roman creeds and papal bulls? shine history all you want but you can't silence the spilled blood since her cannons starting firing her deadly traditions of men.

The topic is the Nicene Creed, not bloody conquest, Americans believing various views, etc.

You are spewing personal opinions in the thread, rather than discussing the topic. Please, start a separate thread, where you can entertain conversations with yourself all day, without interrupting the flow of this thread's focus.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Zeke

The topic is the Nicene Creed, not bloody conquest, Americans believing various views, etc.

You are spewing personal opinions in the thread, rather than discussing the topic. Please, start a separate thread, where you can entertain conversations with yourself all day, without interrupting the flow of this thread's focus.

The conquest was a fruit of the Roman creed's foundation, take your traditional fluff somewhere else! everything I'm pointing out is relevant to the topic.

jsanford108

Well, then let's just say that I disagree with you, Zeke.

Why not be courteous, and start the opposing thread, anyway? I would be glad to discuss the topic there. Here, I maintain that it is derailing the thread topic, and thus will not debate with you here (within this thread), on matters other than the historical origin of the Creed, as posted in the OP.

Zeke

Well, then let's just say that I disagree with you, Zeke.

Why not be courteous, and start the opposing thread, anyway? I would be glad to discuss the topic there. Here, I maintain that it is derailing the thread topic, and thus will not debate with you here (within this thread), on matters other than the historical origin of the Creed, as posted in the OP.

The history according to who? The history being presented from the massive propaganda machine under Rome's power is nothing new under the sun and still going on, Kuhn's work on the period is sufficient to grasp the behavior indulged in from the outside looking in. The genocide I'm pointing out speaks on its own, surpassing any deflection you can obviously shill for, either willingly or ignorantly embracing false dogma only you know, so your right we have no common ground on this bloody cults past, present, and hopefully short future.

jsanford108

The history according to who?
I base my history knowledge on history, reality, evidence, analysis by reputable historians, etc. Essentially, I base my view of history on real history.

Kuhn's work on the period is sufficient to grasp the behavior indulged in from the outside looking in.
Kuhn is exhaustively refuted, with no evidence for his theories and anti-Christian views. No actual historian even finds Kuhn as plausible.

Bee1

Well, the beginning of this response is true. Constantine did not accept Christianity until on his deathbed, etc. However, Constantine did not decide what books were canon, and he did not introduce Easter (which is not a pagan holiday; the bunny aspects are pagan, but the celebration of the Resurrection are in no way pagan).
Then what is Easter about? The eggs and bunnies rabbit are symbols for fertility, a pagan ritual of spring. And Easter did not start until 800 years after Jesus's death.

jsanford108

Then what is Easter about? The eggs and bunnies rabbit are symbols for fertility, a pagan ritual of spring. And Easter did not start until 800 years after Jesus's death.

False on Easter starting its celebration 800 years post-Christ. Secular, Jewish, and Christian scholars agree that the Christian celebration known as "Easter" was celebrated before 325 AD.

Zeke

I base my history knowledge on history, reality, evidence, analysis by reputable historians, etc. Essentially, I base my view of history on real history.

Kuhn is exhaustively refuted, with no evidence for his theories and anti-Christian views. No actual historian even finds Kuhn as plausible.

Of coarse I expected nothing less, refute the blood spilt by your institution! That will be the same official undisputed cover up with pious intellectual fraud while little boys were being sodomized ...... So debate with those still building their temples on the hoax of Rome's pagan human sacrifice, a glorified whitewashed tomb.

Zeke

Your being discovered, and uncovered, hiding behind the Christian banner no longer protects you.

Childlike

Thanks Zeke. Somewhat off topic but, a subject, as an Aussie, which is close to my heart. I will therefore share some almost lost information that is highly inflammatory and may even hurt some I would rather not harm but should not be entirely lost to the world.

In 5th class, at age 9 or 10, students were give a new text book for our class work and study. As best I recall it was "Social Studies in Australia" and it contained, as one of the subjects, a dissertation upon the physical attributes of the Native Aboriginal, as observed through scientific autopsy. The article, complete with drawings and drawing direct comparison to people of any other nationality, described a far greater bone density, a completely different orientation, shape and location in the body of many of the internal organs and a brain structure of three(3) lateral lobes instead of the more conventional two(2) hemispheres. This is why a number of Aboriginal corpses were preserved and returned to Britain for research and Museum display.

Further, it was at first believed that the anatomical differences were of such divergence from the 'normal' that procreation between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginals would be impossible and although the article stopped short of stating the obvious, the deduction was clearly that Australian Aboriginals were considered to be a humanoid animal. (They could not be considered a different species of human by a Christian society due to the impact on the Book of Genesis.) This assumption, I believe, was the basis for the inaction of authorities and lack of reporting of the mass slaughter of Aboriginal peoples by the white settlers and clears up why Aboriginals were not able to be included in Census surveys or able to vote until a public referendum in 1967 caused our constitution to be changed.

Just as remarkable, were the discoveries that, children born of the union between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal parents always took on the organic structure of the non-Aboriginal parent, with only a darker skin colour and generally denser skeleton the only evidence of a mixed union... Enter the infamous "Stolen Generations" which to put it bluntly was designed to have the, now human, offspring raised by "Human Parents" in a "proper manner."

Relating this here has me weeping but, it needs to be told and also a few may stop asking about "Why don't we see evolution today? Reason: There are none so blind as he who will not see.

Childlike

I apologize for my late arrival to the discussion, but as a fan of history and context, I would like to toss in my cents' worth.

First, it does well to establish terminology and vocabulary. Canon law is ecclesiastical law, such as ordinances, beliefs, and regulations, made for the church by the Church. So, yes, the Nicene Creed is Canon. Heresy is any doctrine or teaching that goes against Church/Canon law and teachings. (I state this for any who for some reason do not understand the vocabulary; you seem to grasp it quite efficiently)

As beameup pointed out, the Nicene Creed is a declaration of beliefs that were held by the Apostles, their disciples, and early Church Fathers/Christians. So, the Nicene Creed was not an establishing of a "reversal of beliefs....held by the majority," but rather a firm declaration of Apostolic teachings. This is also why it was declared Canon law, so that Christianity would be united in a singular set of beliefs. That is why any dissenters were labelled as heretics.

This would also make sense for the excommunication reports for Pope Gregory due to a willingness to alter these teachings, since he would be altering and disagreeing with the teachings of the Apostles. Granted, one must take any "reports," or rumors, with a grain of salt, as many abounded. Pope Gregory (assuming Pope Gregory I) was not excommunicated, though. He did have a disagreement with a prominent member in Constantinople, named Eutychius, however, it did not lead to exile or excommunication. In fact, Pope Gregory defended the Scriptural account of the Resurrection, in that disagreement.

I am unsure how Pope Gregory I could have been exiled or excommunicated by Emperor Constantine (you are absolutely correct about Constantine being a non-Christian), since Constantine was Emperor last in 337 AD, and Pope Gregory was born in 540 AD. I think either you have some faulty sources, or I misinterpreted your words and meaning in the second paragraph.

Sources: Spielvogel, Jackson Western Civilization, 2008
Hunt, Martin, etc Making of the West, Sources for "Making of the West", 2008, 2008

Thanks.

I haven't been here for some time due to aforementioned eyesight issues so apologise for my tardy response.

Yes, my information regarding Pope Gregory was obviously wrong due to the timeline I am currently trying to construct. There is a secondary and equally confusing issue. I am unable to determine whether the initial connection with Christianity was commenced under Constantine the elder or younger? The Elder Constantine, three Western Emperors before the younger, of Nicaene Creed fame seems to be the most likely candidate. This, of course brings yet another unknown Pope into the picture and may well be the source of the events previously attributed to Pope Gregory?

Although I try to be as balanced as possible from an historical view, I must admit that the further I dig into this history the more alarms sound. Firstly I consider that Canon Law and its like are almost always used to silence debate even in the eventual light of new information. Similar to Mohammed declaring himself as "the last prophet" does the same thing only approached from an opposite perspective. Another is the combination of apparently most unusual events surrounding the Council of Churches at Nicea which was called, not by the Pope but by Constantine the younger, Pagan, to address was is referred to as a critical event in the Christian Churches and their teachings. The report I found said that it was attended by about 300~3500 Bishops of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches and around 10x that many assistant priests and clergy. This is the equivalent in modern terms to Vladimir Putin Calling all the Christian Leaders in the world to Moscow to 'fix a few critical and unresolved problems' and having everyone turn up! It is worth noting that this Constantine, although originally Emperor of the Wester Roman Empire, had just been made Caesar of the entire Roman Empire, at the time.

I keep reading that the problem to be addressed was Heretical teachings amongst many of the churches but, alarm bells ring as the teachings weren't heretical until after they Nicene Creed was entered into the Canon at that meeting and that there were only two(2) dissenting votes, being in favour of Arianism, cast. Hardly an alarming number. So, a meeting called by the most powerful, pagan, politician, warrior, in the known world, to fix a problem with a religion, with which he has only a political connection, somehow has a massive attendance and only 2, dare I say surviving naysayers, are in attendance and the results entered into Canon silencing all and sundry forever.. oh dear me the hair is standing up on the back of my neck. I haven't touched on how a man, not baptised until he is on his deathbed, is canonised a Saint by the Orthodox Churches.

How does that saying go about Power corrupts and total power....?

jsanford108

No need to worry about not being on the thread; we all (hopefully) have lives outside of TOL. If not, then skynet has become self-aware.

Before I provide my cent's worth, I would just like to give a brief overview of the approach that I take to history, especially Church History. I try to be as logical as possible, while distancing myself from personal bias. Therefore, I view and utilize secular sources first, as means of establishing a foundational view of history. Then, I utilize the plethora of Christian sources (the older the better) in order to create an organic framework with which to build upon. Whichever sources, oldest is preferred, align most with the secular materials, seems to be the most reliable. Any outliers can obviously be cast aside, or any source that claims it is correct, when it provides a distinctly different set of events, and is written at a later date (this is very common for many fringe groups).

Having said that, I would immediately question any source material from which I am deriving my view of the historical record, and would encourage you to do the same.

Yes, my information regarding Pope Gregory was obviously wrong due to the timeline I am currently trying to construct. There is a secondary and equally confusing issue. I am unable to determine whether the initial connection with Christianity was commenced under Constantine the elder or younger? The Elder Constantine, three Western Emperors before the younger, of Nicaene Creed fame seems to be the most likely candidate. This, of course brings yet another unknown Pope into the picture and may well be the source of the events previously attributed to Pope Gregory?

....Another is the combination of apparently most unusual events surrounding the Council of Churches at Nicea which was called, not by the Pope but by Constantine the younger, Pagan, to address was is referred to as a critical event in the Christian Churches and their teachings. The report I found said that it was attended by about 300~3500 Bishops of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches and around 10x that many assistant priests and clergy. This is the equivalent in modern terms to Vladimir Putin Calling all the Christian Leaders in the world to Moscow to 'fix a few critical and unresolved problems' and having everyone turn up! It is worth noting that this Constantine, although originally Emperor of the Wester Roman Empire, had just been made Caesar of the entire Roman Empire, at the time.
Historically, the Emperor who ended the state persecution of Christians was Constantine the Elder. Note, Constantine was not a pope. Nor was any emperor of Rome. Granted, when Rome became the Holy Roman Empire, the pope ruled, but there was still an emperor; these were two separate political offices.

To add even more historical context, when Constantine "legalized" Christianity, that was in 324 AD. It was a year later that the Council of Nicaea convened. And this makes sense; a persecuted group could not have such a meeting before, especially with such attendance, and not be the target of massacre. Constantine did not call for there to be a council, but he allowed it. This is where many false views arise. Constantine allowed the Christians to meet, without fear of state persecution.

Now, Constantine did not convert to Christianity until on his death bed in 337 AD. One could easily question if it was a legitimate conversion, but we all surely hope it was. When Constantine allowed the Council to meet, the Church was on its 33rd Pope, Pope Sylvester I. From this time (being 325 AD) until 386, there were 6 more emperors to rule Rome. Constantine II (who you call the younger), Constans I, Constantius II, Julian, Jovian, Valentinian I, Theodosius I, and finally Augustine. It was Augustine who converted in 386 to Christianity, and declared it the official religion of the empire. The Pope was Siricius (the 38th Pope).

From this, one can see that Constantine I is given way too much credit, as far as being influential on Church history. Sure, he ended state persecution and allowed Christians to hold a Council, but that was pretty much the extent of it. We can also see that emperors were not popes or church leaders in any capacity.

As for Pope Gregory, his time as Pope was not until 590 AD. Also, there is no historical record of exile or excommunication, as I stated before. I would question your source material from which these ideas are arising.

Although I try to be as balanced as possible from an historical view, I must admit that the further I dig into this history the more alarms sound. Firstly I consider that Canon Law and its like are almost always used to silence debate even in the eventual light of new information. Similar to Mohammed declaring himself as "the last prophet" does the same thing only approached from an opposite perspective.
I would say that the comparison of Canon Law and Sharia Law is only topically similar. They are in fact, quite different on every level and in aspect. Canon Law, which here I think you are specifically referring to things that are Dogmatic or Moral law/teaching, are things that cannot change. Such as Christ being Mary's son; there will never be any information that can alter this. And when we look at new introductions into Canon Law, we can see that they occur when there is a debate going on. Historically, if something is not being debated or questioned, and is generally accepted by the populous, then there is no need for official declaration. This is logical. It is only when questionings of said doctrines increase and spread that a "new law" in introduced. However, we can see historically that these "laws" are not new teachings.

So, yes, while your phrase "used to silence debate" is true, it is more of a firm declaration of teachings by the official Church. This is why we see so many doctrines being declared in 325 at Nicaea; the Church wanted to establish a foundation of set beliefs and doctrines that would be unquestionable when one wondered what the Church believed.

I keep reading that the problem to be addressed was Heretical teachings amongst many of the churches but, alarm bells ring as the teachings weren't heretical until after they Nicene Creed was entered into the Canon at that meeting and that there were only two(2) dissenting votes, being in favour of Arianism, cast. Hardly an alarming number. So, a meeting called by the most powerful, pagan, politician, warrior, in the known world, to fix a problem with a religion, with which he has only a political connection, somehow has a massive attendance and only 2, dare I say surviving naysayers, are in attendance and the results entered into Canon silencing all and sundry forever.. oh dear me the hair is standing up on the back of my neck. I haven't touched on how a man, not baptised until he is on his deathbed, is canonised a Saint by the Orthodox Churches.
First, we need to understand the definition of heresy. Heresy, and by extrapolation, anything heretical, is anything that goes against the teachings and doctrines of the Church. So, without a firm set of doctrines in place, nothing could really be considered heretical. This is why after 325, we see various doctrines, even those which were around before 325, being declared heretical.

Second, the reason Emperor Constantine I is an Orthodox saint is due to his ending of state persecution of Christians. This, combined with his, what I would argue superstitious, belief that a crucifix in the forefront of his army brought victory. I would compare this notion of his to that of Hitler wanting to use the Ark, in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. For these two reasons, the Orthodox canonized Constantine. Now, the Roman Catholic Church does not hold Constantine as a saint. While I understand the reasons of the Orthodox, I do question the act.

Sources: History of the West, 2008
Western Civilizations, 2008
Documents from Council of Nicaea, compiled 1988

Childlike

No need to worry about not being on the thread; we all (hopefully) have lives outside of TOL. If not, then skynet has become self-aware.

Before I provide my cent's worth, I would just like to give a brief overview of the approach that I take to history, especially Church History. I try to be as logical as possible, while distancing myself from personal bias. Therefore, I view and utilize secular sources first, as means of establishing a foundational view of history. Then, I utilize the plethora of Christian sources (the older the better) in order to create an organic framework with which to build upon. Whichever sources, oldest is preferred, align most with the secular materials, seems to be the most reliable. Any outliers can obviously be cast aside, or any source that claims it is correct, when it provides a distinctly different set of events, and is written at a later date (this is very common for many fringe groups).

Having said that, I would immediately question any source material from which I am deriving my view of the historical record, and would encourage you to do the same.

Historically, the Emperor who ended the state persecution of Christians was Constantine the Elder. Note, Constantine was not a pope. Nor was any emperor of Rome. Granted, when Rome became the Holy Roman Empire, the pope ruled, but there was still an emperor; these were two separate political offices.

To add even more historical context, when Constantine "legalized" Christianity, that was in 324 AD. It was a year later that the Council of Nicaea convened. And this makes sense; a persecuted group could not have such a meeting before, especially with such attendance, and not be the target of massacre. Constantine did not call for there to be a council, but he allowed it. This is where many false views arise. Constantine allowed the Christians to meet, without fear of state persecution.

Now, Constantine did not convert to Christianity until on his death bed in 337 AD. One could easily question if it was a legitimate conversion, but we all surely hope it was. When Constantine allowed the Council to meet, the Church was on its 33rd Pope, Pope Sylvester I. From this time (being 325 AD) until 386, there were 6 more emperors to rule Rome. Constantine II (who you call the younger), Constans I, Constantius II, Julian, Jovian, Valentinian I, Theodosius I, and finally Augustine. It was Augustine who converted in 386 to Christianity, and declared it the official religion of the empire. The Pope was Siricius (the 38th Pope).

From this, one can see that Constantine I is given way too much credit, as far as being influential on Church history. Sure, he ended state persecution and allowed Christians to hold a Council, but that was pretty much the extent of it. We can also see that emperors were not popes or church leaders in any capacity.

As for Pope Gregory, his time as Pope was not until 590 AD. Also, there is no historical record of exile or excommunication, as I stated before. I would question your source material from which these ideas are arising.

I would say that the comparison of Canon Law and Sharia Law is only topically similar. They are in fact, quite different on every level and in aspect. Canon Law, which here I think you are specifically referring to things that are Dogmatic or Moral law/teaching, are things that cannot change. Such as Christ being Mary's son; there will never be any information that can alter this. And when we look at new introductions into Canon Law, we can see that they occur when there is a debate going on. Historically, if something is not being debated or questioned, and is generally accepted by the populous, then there is no need for official declaration. This is logical. It is only when questionings of said doctrines increase and spread that a "new law" in introduced. However, we can see historically that these "laws" are not new teachings.

So, yes, while your phrase "used to silence debate" is true, it is more of a firm declaration of teachings by the official Church. This is why we see so many doctrines being declared in 325 at Nicaea; the Church wanted to establish a foundation of set beliefs and doctrines that would be unquestionable when one wondered what the Church believed.

First, we need to understand the definition of heresy. Heresy, and by extrapolation, anything heretical, is anything that goes against the teachings and doctrines of the Church. So, without a firm set of doctrines in place, nothing could really be considered heretical. This is why after 325, we see various doctrines, even those which were around before 325, being declared heretical.

Second, the reason Emperor Constantine I is an Orthodox saint is due to his ending of state persecution of Christians. This, combined with his, what I would argue superstitious, belief that a crucifix in the forefront of his army brought victory. I would compare this notion of his to that of Hitler wanting to use the Ark, in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. For these two reasons, the Orthodox canonized Constantine. Now, the Roman Catholic Church does not hold Constantine as a saint. While I understand the reasons of the Orthodox, I do question the act.

Sources: History of the West, 2008
Western Civilizations, 2008
Documents from Council of Nicaea, compiled 1988

Thanks again.

I was under the impression, perhaps in error, that it was Constantine the elder who, after seeing a Chi-Rho appear in the heavens had it adopted into his battle standard and the image emblazoned on his troops battle shields and his own armour before taking a great victory in battle. That battle, among others, was the reason given for him being rewarded with the command of the Western Roman Empire and stewardship of the then new city of Alexandria for his Capital. That appointment lead to his approaching the Christian Church as his official State Religion and the subsequent negotiations regarding some altered teachings to the previously mentioned report of the excommunication of the Pope. Again the timelines and facts are confused in the extreme. At this point little can be seen as fact.

Some truth can be assumed as the 'persecution' of the Christians was due to the faith being seen to contain elements which so undermined the political/religious structure of the Roman Empire as to be seen and prosecuted as treason. That being the case it would seem reasonable that an adoption of the Christian Church as official State religion would necessitate some serious negotiation. It should be remembered that an official State religion was every bit as politically powerful as the Emperor and on some occasions more powerful.

As to the Hitler comment, given his venereal disease driving him to increasing levels of insanity, which obviously played upon his grasp of the influence of his Catholic upbringing, which I have long considered was likely a major driver behind the Holocaust, he probably would have used the ark, had such an opportunity presented itself. ;)