Gun control with brains

jzeidler

Am I for gun control? Well... Yes and no. Let me explain.

I have talked this through pretty heavily with my wife and have come to the conclusion that yes I am for gun control. But only in a way where there are stipulations on buying a gun instead of making laws on people who have guns, the guns themselves, or where you can take a gun.

What I mean is that the gun isn't the problem and laws will never fix the problem of gun violence. So, what I advocate is that those who want to buy a gun should take a psych evaluation and go through an in depth background check (obviously political and religious views would not be involved.) If they do not pass either of these they should be rejected. But those who can pass these should be able to buy any kind of gun and as many as they want.

Gun control should be something that makes sure guns never get into the hands of psychos while at the same time letting law abiding citizens get as many guns as they desire. Furthermore, guns should not have a restriction on where they can be. There should be no gun free zones because it is in those places that people are killed with no way of defending themselves. And if these are implemented gun owners who prove that they are stable and good law abiding citizens should be allowed to buy any kind of gun they want. Assault rifles should be allowed to people who don't pose threats to individual people. We should be free to own weapons, I would be okay with allowing artillery as the founding fathers originally intended, there just needs to be stipulations, evaluations of the people, and the ability to safely keep them. We should be free to have the right to own weapons.

Also, those who end up committing a violent gun crime should automatically receive 25 years in prison and have all their guns taken away with no ability to buy guns again.

Now, I am strongly against gun control by laws which is what Obama wants. First and foremost, laws will never stop criminals from gaining guns illegally. That's why they are called criminals, they break the law. Gun laws would only take guns away from law abiding citizens, the very people we ant to have guns. So just on that making gun laws is pointless. But there is another side to the coin. Not only is making gun laws pointless, they are dangerous. They are dangerous because what is being proposed is against our rights, the gun itself, the gun owner, and where guns can be.

Obama is proposing laws similar to the UK and Australia which implemented confiscation among other things. This is done out of a flawed reasoning that says that the gun, not the person is the problem. This, if tried here would go against our second amendment and would start a second civil war. It would start a war not because Americans love their guns, it's because Americans love their rights and the ability to defend themselves both from home intruders and from tyranny.

This whole talk about gun control is deeper than Americans wanting their guns. It is about Americans not wanting their rights infringed upon by an overreaching government. They don't want to give up the right to defend themselves against intruders and tyrants alike. This is why it is such a big deal.

But, there needs to be two simple things put in place in order to keep guns out of psychos hands and those need to be headed up by the individual states and local governments instead of the federal government.

Gun control should be something that makes sure guns never get into the hands of psychos while at the same time letting law abiding citizens get as many guns and any kind of gun as they desire. This is done by stipulations on buying a gun, not laws on guns or gun owners.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
...So, what I advocate is that those who want to buy a gun should take a psych evaluation and go through an in depth background check...

Do you believe you should be required to take a psych evaluation and go through an in depth background check to use your God-given right to free speech? How about your God-given right to worship, should the above be required as well?

Study up on the Bill of Rights and you'll know what I'm talking about.

chair

Do you believe you should be required to take a psych evaluation and go through an in depth background check to use your God-given right to free speech? How about your God-given right to worship, should the above be required as well?

The Bill of Rights is not "God-given". I am not aware of any Biblical source for the "right to free speech", let alone the "right to own weapons". Perhaps there is something in the New Testament that I am not aware of?

jzeidler

Gun control with brains

You are comparing two different things. One is a right we have to bear weapons which if those weapons are in the hands of psychos they will kill people. Then you have the rights that in no way shape or form can do any harm to anyone. They are very different, it is not right to compare my argument for our freedom to have weapons to the freedoms of speech and others that can do no harm.

I want people to have guns, in fact I want lots of people to have guns and carry them everywhere all the time. But I want good moral people to be carrying them.

jzeidler

The Bill of Rights is not "God-given". I am not aware of any Biblical source for the "right to free speech", let alone the "right to own weapons". Perhaps there is something in the New Testament that I am not aware of?

Just because their not in the bible doesn't mean their not good.

shagster01

The writers of the Bill of Rights were not God.

The Freedom of Speach in the Bill of Rights includes the freedom to blaspheme. Is that a God given right acw?

bybee

The Freedom of Speach in the Bill of Rights includes the freedom to blaspheme. Is that a God given right acw?

The Freedom to Choose is a God granted right.
So long as one realizes that cause and effect happen when we speak and when we act then one is within reality.
Consequences can be painful.

bybee

There is such a thing as the necessity to possess weapons. I don't imagine Joshua expected his warriors to march into battle unarmed?

jzeidler

Gun control with brains

People should be free to blaspheme. This is not a theocracy. We do not need to be God's sword and kill blasphemers. I think God is powerful enough to stick up for his own Name and honor.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

I'm talking about the 1st and 2nd Amendments to the US Constitution.

Certain rights (per the Founding Fathers and the documents they gave us to run the country) come from God. If you're going to take away American citizens' right to keep and bear arms, you'll have to take away their rights to free speech and religion as well.

chair

There is such a thing as the necessity to possess weapons. I don't imagine Joshua expected his warriors to march into battle unarmed?

That is not the same as saying there is a "God given right".

I think the US would be far better off if there weren't so many guns. But is it much too late to reach that situation.

Where I live (Israel) private ownership of guns is strictly controlled. This is a country where nearly everybody serves in the military, and with plenty of threats to the population.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You are comparing two different things. One is a right we have to bear weapons which if those weapons are in the hands of psychos they will kill people. Then you have the rights that in no way shape or form can do any harm to anyone. They are very different, it is not right to compare my argument for our freedom to have weapons to the freedoms of speech and others that can do no harm.

Are you aware that freedom of speech is responsible for more deaths in US history than gun violence? How do you think that Roe v Wade was legislated? Granted, the Founding Fathers didn't have freedom of irresponsible speech in the hands of pyschos in mind when they wrote the 1st Amendment, but I've made my point.

jzeidler

That is not the same as saying there is a "God given right".

I think the US would be far better off if there weren't so many guns. But is it much too late to reach that situation.

Where I live (Israel) private ownership of guns is strictly controlled. This is a country where nearly everybody serves in the military, and with plenty of threats to the population.

It is a God given right to defend ones self. This is why the second amendment must always stand.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is a God given right to defend ones self. This is why the second amendment must always stand.

Back o your OP:

It is currently illegal to purchase a firearm in WA State if you're a convicted felon or not a legal citizen of the US.
http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/washington-gun-laws

Would you like the government to put more restrictions on purchasing a firearm other than that?

Your OP stated a "psych evaluation" and an "in depth background check". Explain more about those two things.

elohiym

What I mean is that the gun isn't the problem and laws will never fix the problem of gun violence. So, what I advocate is that those who want to buy a gun should take a psych evaluation and go through an in depth background check (obviously political and religious views would not be involved.) If they do not pass either of these they should be rejected. But those who can pass these should be able to buy any kind of gun and as many as they want.

Are you advocating the same for people who want to buy claw hammers?