GOP Health care: Buy the insurance you want and need

kmoney

Hall of Fame
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-health-plan-is-set-apart-from-obamacare.html

Tom Price talks about people buying coverage that they want and need.

“Coverage comes when people have something that they want to purchase,” Price said. “Coverage doesn’t come when Washington tells you what to buy. The way that you get people to get health coverage is that you provide them with a product that they actually want.”

“For those individuals on Medicaid who were eligible for Medicaid previously, there’s essentially no change whatsoever,” the secretary said. “Over a period of time, those individuals that are on Medicaid but were able-bodied adults, they would transition to a personal market, a private insurance market that would actually be more responsive to them and allow them to purchase the kind of coverage they want. Virtually everybody’s prices will come down for the premiums that they pay for their coverage and they will get coverage that’s more responsive to them. So we strengthen the Medicaid system, we drive prices down, we increase choices, that’s what patient-centered health care is all about.”

Asked if a potential single-payer system for catastrophic coverage could be in the works if the new legislation fails to pass, Price said that the “devil’s in the details.”

“One, I think that the consequences of that actually reduce the ability for you to get the kind of coverage that you want for the services that you need,” Price stated. “Two, I think the answer to that question has to wait until the outcome of this debate. If Congress is able to pass a bill and put it on the President’s desk, then I think that you will be a long way away from single-payer.”

“I’m not for something where the government decides what’s covered for individuals because I know that when that happens – as happens in every other system that has it – then the government decides what equals health care and you don’t,” the secretary said.

But part of insurance is that you don't know what kind of insurance you'll need. That's why you have insurance. So it seems off base or disingenuous to talk in such terms. Of course young, healthy people will think they can get by with a cheap plan, but what happens when they get sick and their plan pays for nothing? :idunno: Tough luck? Should have planned ahead? Social safety net? Would some sort of gov't provided catastrophic coverage fill that void? I've seen that mentioned a few times on here.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-health-plan-is-set-apart-from-obamacare.html

Tom Price talks about people buying coverage that they want and need.

“Coverage comes when people have something that they want to purchase,” Price said. “Coverage doesn’t come when Washington tells you what to buy. The way that you get people to get health coverage is that you provide them with a product that they actually want.”

“For those individuals on Medicaid who were eligible for Medicaid previously, there’s essentially no change whatsoever,” the secretary said. “Over a period of time, those individuals that are on Medicaid but were able-bodied adults, they would transition to a personal market, a private insurance market that would actually be more responsive to them and allow them to purchase the kind of coverage they want. Virtually everybody’s prices will come down for the premiums that they pay for their coverage and they will get coverage that’s more responsive to them. So we strengthen the Medicaid system, we drive prices down, we increase choices, that’s what patient-centered health care is all about.”

Asked if a potential single-payer system for catastrophic coverage could be in the works if the new legislation fails to pass, Price said that the “devil’s in the details.”

“One, I think that the consequences of that actually reduce the ability for you to get the kind of coverage that you want for the services that you need,” Price stated. “Two, I think the answer to that question has to wait until the outcome of this debate. If Congress is able to pass a bill and put it on the President’s desk, then I think that you will be a long way away from single-payer.”

“I’m not for something where the government decides what’s covered for individuals because I know that when that happens – as happens in every other system that has it – then the government decides what equals health care and you don’t,” the secretary said.

But part of insurance is that you don't know what kind of insurance you'll need. That's why you have insurance. So it seems off base or disingenuous to talk in such terms. Of course young, healthy people will think they can get by with a cheap plan, but what happens when they get sick and their plan pays for nothing? :idunno: Tough luck? Should have planned ahead? Social safety net? Would some sort of gov't provided catastrophic coverage fill that void? I've seen that mentioned a few times on here.
What about the good old days when you were responsible for your own health? Who says the government has a duty to keep you alive?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What about the good old days when you were responsible for your own health? Who says the government has a duty to keep you alive?

Are you responsible for your own health? Do you want to be? Lose all support from the gov't and employer and if you can't afford a robust plan and get severely sick you'll be buried under debt?