ECT God didn't make labor more painful in Gen 3:16

1PeaceMaker

I don't believe that people have rightly interpreted Gen 3:16 as being about labor contractions and the birth process as being cursed.

My reason? Simply the evidence of the nature of natural childbirth, as I have come to experience and understand it. It's not just freaks of nature who have painless childbirth or even birth in their sleep without drugs. Ordinary women like me have tasted enough of natural birth to know the experience of both painful and painless labor contractions. I know from experience that distraction, hunger, dehydration or stress alters the labor experience substantially, and that even though a baby seems big, the apparatus of birth is extremely well made and complex, perfect for natural, peaceful birth under the ideal circumstances.

If I could add another good reason, it's because God says he gently leads those that are with young. God designed us in our mother's womb and He's our loving father, having all the motivation needed to equip women's design for peaceful, safe birth. Psalm 139:13

Here's a collection of anecdotes to back up my point from a birth website that is all about unhindered birth and what the body can do by design.

"In a letter to me Dr. Douglas states that he was called about 6 A. M., Sept. 26, 1828, to attend a Mrs. D., residing on Eccles St. On his arrival he found the house in the utmost confusion, and was told that the child had been born before the messenger was dispatched for the doctor. From the lady herself he learned that, about half an hour previously, she had been awakened from a natural sleep by the alarm of a daughter about five years old, who slept with her. This alarm was occasioned by the little girl feeling the movements, and hearing the cries of an infant in bed. To the mother's great surprise she had brought forth her child without any consciousness of the fact."

"A lady of great respectability, the wife of a peer of the realm, was actually delivered once in her sleep; she immediately awakened her husband, being alarmed to find one more in bed than there was before."

"I have elsewhere mentioned the case of a patient of mine who bore eight children without ever having labor pains. Her deliveries were so sudden and void of sensible effect that in more than one instance they took place under most awkward circumstances, but without any suffering."

"Dr. J. King, in his work on Obstetrics, speaks of attending cases where there was no sensation of pain. He found that by placing the hand upon the abdomen, the muscular contractions were distinctly felt, and examination proved the progress of labor, while, excepting a suppressed breath, the patient experienced no change from the ordinary condition."

"Some very marked cases have come to my own knowledge proving the possibility of painless labor. I attended a neighbor of mine in four different confinements. I never was able to reach her before the birth of the child, although I lived across the street, and according to her injunctions always kept my shoes 'laced up.' She sent for me, too, at the first indication of labor. There was always one prolonged effort and the child was expelled. The heads of her children were temporarily distorted, showing pliability of the osseous structure."

"Another lady patron had two children without a particle of pain. With the first she was alone with her nurse. During the evening she remarked that she felt weary and believed that she would lie down. She had been on the bed no more than twenty minutes when she called to her nurse, saying: 'How strangely I feel! I wish you would see what is the matter,' when to their astonishment the child was already born."

"Two years later I was summoned to the same lady about ten at night. The membranes were ruptured, but no other visible indication of labor. Investigation revealed dilatation of the cervix and although she soon fell into a quiet slumber, I noticed regular and distinct contractions. The child was born about two in the morning without any sensation of pain. I have no doubt that in her previous confinement the contractions went on the same, and if she had been one to mark her symptoms closely, she would have felt them as one feels muscular contractions in the performance of other natural functions."
-From Tokology: A Book for Every Woman by Alice B. Stockham, M.D., Copyright, 1911

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Don't hijack this thread, SD. That list of quotes is so out of context...

Get Ge 2:18–24 right. Then, you can move on to Ge 3:16. :vomit:

"If you don't have integrity, you have nothing. You can't buy it. You can have all the money in the world, but if you are not a moral and ethical person, you really have nothing." ~ Henry Kravis Ex 20:5

Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Don't hijack this thread, SD. That list of quotes is so out of context that people could really misunderstand what I was saying on a couple of points. Please stay on topic and get rid of the spam.

Don't worry,Sis.

Behold.............

Psalms 7:14
Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Those who give birth without travail are an example of our mother the heavenly Jerusalem.

These are a sign, like the rainbow.:)

Psalms 27:13
I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Don't take that last post wrong.

Whether one has pains or not in the physical has no bearing on their spiritual standing.:)

1PeaceMaker

Speaking of spiritual influences in birth:

Fear - the kind brought on by a lack of trust - can actually hinder birth and make it more painful and even more dangerous. Blood drains from a frightened uterus causing painful contractions and inhibiting blood flow to the baby.

So first and foremost there must be trust in God to get you through. It really helps a woman stay relaxed. Also the birth attendants must be trustworthy for the same reason.

There is a natural boost of adrenaline which comes at the end of labor to signal the beginning of the pushing phase which feels like a rush of fear, too. It can be a little confusing but passes quickly.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Speaking of spiritual influences in birth:

Fear - the kind brought on by a lack of trust - can actually hinder birth and make it more painful and even more dangerous. Blood drains from a frightened uterus causing painful contractions and inhibiting blood flow to the baby.

So first and foremost there must be trust in God to get you through. It really helps a woman stay relaxed. Also the birth attendants must be trustworthy for the same reason.

There is a natural boost of adrenaline which comes at the end of labor to signal the beginning of the pushing phase which feels like a rush of fear, too. It can be a little confusing but passes quickly.

Makes sense to me, having never gone through it. lol

I'm just an observer.

I took my wife to the hospital to have our second daughter.

The nurses put her on the birthing bed, I knew by the way my wife was talking and acting that the baby was coming quickly.

The doctor was washing his hands talkin' like we had plenty of time.

So I instinctively placed myself between our baby and the floor. (or did God place me there?)

'Bout that time the head appeared and I said, "Hey Doc, the heads
out".

He immediately hollered, "stop pushin'" and scooted his butt over there.

I got out of the way and he said, "look here" and moved the umbilical cord from around our babies neck.

My wife pushed one more time and Dusti was born.

Hey, I wonder if that cord woulda slowed my baby down from hittin' the floor?

Or maybe that cord was fixin' to stop the blood flow to her brain and God got her outta there faster?

Don't mind me, just babblin' along, lol.

Plumb amazin' the things we remember, that was 24 years ago.

1PeaceMaker

I got out of the way and he said, "look here" and moved the umbilical cord from around our babies neck.

....Hey, I wonder if that cord woulda slowed my baby down from hittin' the floor?

Or maybe that cord was fixin' to stop the blood flow to her brain and God got her outta there faster?

Don't mind me, just babblin' along, lol.

Plumb amazin' the things we remember, that was 24 years ago.

I think it was a good move to get right in there because typically cords wrap around the neck when they are long. Babies can flip right out like that, no problem. Many times that's how long cords are. Doesn't hurt the child.

Short cords don't usually do that and sometimes the baby even comes out breech because of a short cord. My breech, baby #6, had a short cord. :)