Forgiveness

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
[17-07, 08:37] Robert Pate: No, he didn't forgive them, instead he called them hypocrites, snakes, sons of hell, etc.
[17-07, 08:33] Robert Pate: Did Jesus forgive the Pharisees?

"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew 6:14-15)

"Then Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.'" (Luke 23:34)

Truster

Forgiveness of others is not a prerequisite for salvation. Forgiveness of others is the result of salvation.

notreligus

2Cor 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Everyone who is saved is saved by having their faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ. His righteousness is imputed to the believer as we have none on our own. The Book of Hebrews is clear that we need Christ as our attorney who stands before the Father and is able to call us righteous.

Heb 9:11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation)
Heb 9:12 he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.
Heb 9:13 For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh,
Heb 9:14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.
Heb 9:15 Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
Heb 9:16 For where a will is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established.
Heb 9:17 For a will takes effect only at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive.
Heb 9:18 Therefore not even the first covenant was inaugurated without blood.
Heb 9:19 For when every commandment of the law had been declared by Moses to all the people, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people,
Heb 9:20 saying, "This is the blood of the covenant that God commanded for you."
Heb 9:21 And in the same way he sprinkled with the blood both the tent and all the vessels used in worship.
Heb 9:22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
Heb 9:23 Thus it was necessary for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Heb 9:24 For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf.
Heb 9:25 Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own,
Heb 9:26 for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Heb 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,
Heb 9:28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

Truster

Please say a bit more if you would.

Describe "how to" forgive.

Forgiveness is an expression of love. We* love because He first loved us. We forgive because we have been forgiven.

The result of the forgiveness of others is instant and the peace it brings can only be described as addictive.

As in all things The Almighty has provided us with a contrast by which to judge forgiveness. If we don't forgive then we hate and the fruits are bitterness and despicable thoughts. I spent 43 years in unforgiving bitterness and so for me, the ability and desire to forgive was an unusual and new experience. I soon began to enjoy the peaceable fruit it brings forth.

In summary, the ability to forgive, in the regenerate, is as natural as breathing.

We*, the redeemed, regenerate and repentant sinners.

Bradley D

God forgave me, who am I not to forgive others. Whether or not the person is a believer or not Jesus tells me to love all. "Love your enemy." God loves all sinners and is willing to have them them saved if they come to Him through Christ. But, the scripture reads "few will be saved." Again I am not the judge. The Lord Jesus will judge.

marhig

Whether or not you ever believed the gospel of your salvation
But Patrick many say they believe, but how can you truly know? Some are high up in churches and do horrific things in secret, so how can we truly know who is saved and who isn't just by people saying "I believe"

Saying "I believe" means nothing if the heart is wrong before God.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
But Patrick many say they believe, but how can you truly know? Some are high up in churches and do horrific things in secret, so how can we truly know who is saved and who isn't just by people saying "I believe"

Saying "I believe" means nothing if the heart is wrong before God.
True, but really believing is an experience you'll never forget. When you first believed !!! :)

Some people live evil lives and do things contrary to God but they say "I believe" - they are unbelievers

marhig

True, but really believing is an experience you'll never forget. When you first believed !!! :)

Some people live evil lives and do things contrary to God but they say "I believe" - they are unbelievers

Yes they are unbelievers! True believers live it out, they aren't false witnesses. You will see the life of Christ in them and they don't live contrary to God, they live by his will, and they will have the power of the Spirit. Not only will they start to overcome their flesh through Christ by the Spirit, but God will give them a mouth to speak when needed, and Christ through them will by healing hearts by the word of God.

But even then, we can't know who is eternally saved. Only God knows our hearts, and only he knows who truly belongs to him. But a good indicator is in the the lives that people live. Those truly born of God, will put God before everything, including themselves and live by his will. And this world will mean nothing to them.

It's easy to say "I believe" but true believers live to please God putting him first. And they will be loving God with their all, and they will be loving their neighbours as themselves and they will be worshipping the father in Spirit and in truth. You will see the love of God and the life of Christ in and through them.

Truster

What you term "believing" is the general revelation that is given to all men. Paul speaks of it in Romans. It is a firm knowledge of the existence of Deity. It is the root of all religion and many, like yourself, think that this revelation is salvation, but it's not. It leaves you without excuse.