Faith And Whether Or Not I Have It

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
We are often shown the sins of others, but it is designed for us to pray for them. Too many so-called Christians take it as a call to prey ON them.

Good point. To share the truth in love might be an initial contact with someone, but it may be an exhortation to someone who is already a believer. Further, can we forgive more than a person's sins against our own person?

Aimiel

We should forgive everyone, since we were shown grace. Forgiveness is the key to enter Heaven. It's what Jesus' Blood was shed for. Those who don't forgive but claim to be Christian are being disingenuous. Holding onto the sins of others is the reason that many are sick. God can't break through someone's hard heart. He wants to, but He cannot violate their will.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
We should forgive everyone, since we were shown grace. Forgiveness is the key to enter Heaven. It's what Jesus' Blood was shed for. Those who don't forgive but claim to be Christian are being disingenuous. Holding onto the sins of others is the reason that many are sick. God can't break through someone's hard heart. He wants to, but He cannot violate their will.

Can you forgive someones sin when it was not perpetrated against yourself?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I can... but that doesn't mean it's released. That's up to God and/or the person against whom the infraction occurred.

Meaning you forgive the person, but they have not been yet forgiven by the victim of the crime?

Aimiel

Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Is this to say that if you see someone sin and it is bad enough you can think in such a way that they are accountable to God for their sin rather than forgiven by God?

Aimiel

I don't believe that your argument is with me. God said it. I just copied and pasted it. I believe in His Word, but I'm not responsible for His thoughts and actions. He said that if we forgive: they're forgiven; if we don't: they aren't. I trust His Word. God don't lie.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I don't believe that your argument is with me. God said it. I just copied and pasted it. I believe in His Word, but I'm not responsible for His thoughts and actions. He said that if we forgive: they're forgiven; if we don't: they aren't. I trust His Word. God don't lie.

I am wondering if we can forgive any more than a person's sins against our own person.

Aimiel

From what I have gathered I'd say: "No." We can be forgiving towards them, but those sinned against hold the cards, from my understanding.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
From what I have gathered I'd say: "No." We can be forgiving towards them, but those sinned against hold the cards, from my understanding.

Okay. But Jesus forgave people sin against other people, and not just how it affected Him. I think this is true. Can I do the same thing?