Faith And Whether Or Not I Have It

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
A poster has challenged that I do not have faith. I believe that I do have faith. What can be done here?

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
A poster has challenged that I do not have faith. I believe that I do have faith. What can be done here?

"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." 1 Cor 13:2

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." 1 Cor 13:2

Amen.

So if someone challenges my faith I aim to love in return.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
Amen.

So if someone challenges my faith I aim to love in return.

"Therefore, the promise is based on faith, so that it may be a matter of grace and may be guaranteed for all of Abraham's descendants—not only for those who were given the Law, but also for those who share the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all.

We need the faith of Abraham. Abraham obeyed God, and was fully persuaded in what God promised he would perform, so Abraham's faith was imputed to him for righteousness. Love and obey Christ and be fully persuaded in what God promised he will perform.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned

From a Christian perspective, the person who challenged your faith really doesn’t believe the Bible does he? I mean, it so clear from Romans 14:4 that a Christian is not to judge the faith of another believer. It states that is Gods job. So, people who judge the faith of other people have a “god complex?”

In other words, IOW, one must consider the source shouldn’t they? I mean the judgement of some other human being about YOUR faith, is worth about as much as dog poop in the backyard. Just throw it away. You know if you have faith or not.

MennoSota

"Therefore, the promise is based on faith, so that it may be a matter of grace and may be guaranteed for all of Abraham's descendants—not only for those who were given the Law, but also for those who share the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all.

We need the faith of Abraham. Abraham obeyed God, and was fully persuaded in what God promised he would perform, so Abraham's faith was imputed to him for righteousness. Love and obey Christ and be fully persuaded in what God promised he will perform.
Romans 4:1-25 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.” Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness. How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well, and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised. For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression. That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah’s womb. No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

Romans 5:1-21 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of that one man’s sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. For if, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous. Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

MennoSota

Romans 9:6-33 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God’s purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? As indeed he says in Hosea, “Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’” “And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’” And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved, for the Lord will carry out his sentence upon the earth fully and without delay.” And as Isaiah predicted, “If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring, we would have been like Sodom and become like Gomorrah.” What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousnessdid not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, as it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

csuguy

And why do you need to prove anything to this poster? There is this passage however...

James 2:18-19 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.​

Not that you need to go posting about all you've done. Rather, live your life well that it might serve as a testament of your faith - without the need to accompany that testament with any words. If others reject you despite this - so be it.

Matthew 11:18-19 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”​

Jerry Shugart

If you have saving faith then you KNOW, without a doubt, that the things revealed about the Lord Jesus in the Bible are true:

"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life" (1 Jn.5:20).​

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
There is now, therefore: no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.

Mind if I open more of that passage as it is very important teaching.

Paul continues in chapter 8: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit for the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin condemned sin in the flesh that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit."

In this statement Paul informs why God sent his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, or in other words, why he was made a partaker of flesh and blood like his brethren. Namely, that by a sacrifice for sin he might condemn sin in the flesh. Now how could Jesus by his death condemn sin in the flesh if there were no sin in his own flesh to condemn? It would be impossible.

So how exactly, by Christ's sacrifice, was sin in the flesh condemned? By being obedient to his Father's commands and resisting sin even unto blood. He endured the cross and despised the shame. As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness so must the son of man be lifted up. Death now has no more dominion over him nor any who are his.

Aimiel

Mind if I open more of that passage as it is very important teaching.
No, please do: I believe we're here to learn and tell what we've learned and to grow in grace and truth all our lives.
Now how could Jesus by his death condemn sin in the flesh if there were no sin in his own flesh to condemn? It would be impossible.

So how exactly, by Christ's sacrifice, was sin in the flesh condemned? By being obedient to his Father's commands and resisting sin even unto blood. He endured the cross and despised the shame. As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness so must the son of man be lifted up. Death now has no more dominion over him nor any who are his.
I believe that the fact that anyone who is hanged from a tree is accursed is the ONLY reason that Jesus became sin on our behalf. As He was lifted up He became accursed and so: the Sinless One became sin so that we might be saved. The injustice of putting the penalty for sin (death) upon One Who had never sinned gave Him the right and authority to impute His Own Righteousness upon whomsoever He willed. I love how that worked out. The Only One Who was without sin put sin to death, having conquered it.

If you want to see how much that victory cost, read, "The Day I Was Crucified," by Gene Edwards. Powerful and insightful.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Amen. This all sounds good. Thank you.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
From a Christian perspective, the person who challenged your faith really doesn’t believe the Bible does he? I mean, it so clear from Romans 14:4 that a Christian is not to judge the faith of another believer. It states that is Gods job. So, people who judge the faith of other people have a “god complex?”

In other words, IOW, one must consider the source shouldn’t they? I mean the judgement of some other human being about YOUR faith, is worth about as much as dog poop in the backyard. Just throw it away. You know if you have faith or not.

Hi Guyver.

As far as fellow believers, we may find that we judge them and treat them as outsiders, but what part do we have in judging outsiders?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
And why do you need to prove anything to this poster? There is this passage however...

James 2:18-19 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.​

Not that you need to go posting about all you've done. Rather, live your life well that it might serve as a testament of your faith - without the need to accompany that testament with any words. If others reject you despite this - so be it.

Matthew 11:18-19 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”​

I don't need to prove anything. But I don't just dismiss what other people say. For fear that there was a reason that they said what they did, even if they are wrong.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If you have saving faith then you KNOW, without a doubt, that the things revealed about the Lord Jesus in the Bible are true:

"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life" (1 Jn.5:20).​

Amen!

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Hi Guyver.

As far as fellow believers, we may find that we judge them and treat them as outsiders, but what part do we have in judging outsiders?

It depends on how you define judging, or rather the meaning you ascribe to it. Everybody judges everything in one sense because that is nature. It is how we are made and driven by the instinct to survive.

In a religious sense, the only judging I think anyone should be doing is themselves.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It depends on how you define judging, or rather the meaning you ascribe to it. Everybody judges everything in one sense because that is nature. It is how we are made and driven by the instinct to survive.

In a religious sense, the only judging I think anyone should be doing is themselves.

I think it is not judging in a harsh sense that is right good and correct, but judging in a right sense.

Aimiel

We are often shown the sins of others, but it is designed for us to pray for them. Too many so-called Christians take it as a call to prey ON them.