Faith and the Spirit Come By Hearing and Believing the Gospel

Robert Pate

Banned
"So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" Romans 10:17. Which is the Gospel.

Not only does faith come by hearing and believing the Gospel, the Holy Spirit is also given to those who hear and believe the Gospel.

Paul wrote to the Galatians that were trying to be justified and receive the Spirit by keeping the law. "This only would I learn of you, Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith" Galatians 3:2. Which again is the Gospel.

Not everyone that hears the Gospel believes the Gospel. Calvinist and Catholics do not believe the Gospel. You cannot say that you believe the Gospel and then say that Jesus only made a limited atonement. Nor can you say that you believe the Gospel and deny that Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Both of those beliefs are anti-Gospel and are anti-Christ.

Paul wrote to the Hebrews,"For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them (they didn't believe it) not being mixed with faith in them that heard it" Hebrews 4:2.

They heard the Gospel but they didn't believe it. They didn't believe that Jesus had atoned for the sins of the world. They didn't believe that Jesus was the savior of the world. They didn't believe the Gospel. To not believe the Gospel as your only means of salvation is to condemn yourself to hell. Faith and the Holy Spirit is only given to those who believe the Gospel.

The Gospel is good news to them that hear it and believe it. The Gospel is the good news that sinners have been reconciled unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19. Because of the doing and dying of Jesus it is now possible for "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord to be saved" Romans 10:13. Salvation has been provided for everyone, "That he by the grace of God has tasted death for eveyone" Hebrews 2:9 Not for just some, but for everyone.

Religion especially Catholicism and Calvinism is a diverson away from Christ and his Gospel. If you do not embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ as your only means of salvation you will most certainly perish.

PureX

Actually, faith doesn't require that we hear anything in particular. What it requires is that we make a choice: the choice to trust in an idea, and to act accordingly, in spite of the fact that we do not know the outcome.

Robert Pate

Banned
Actually, faith doesn't require that we hear anything in particular. What it requires is that we make a choice: the choice to trust in an idea, and to act accordingly, in spite of the fact that we do not know the outcome.

That isn't what the scripture says.

"So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" Romans 10:17.

fishrovmen

"So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" Romans 10:17. Which is the Gospel.

Not only does faith come by hearing and believing the Gospel, the Holy Spirit is also given to those who hear and believe the Gospel.

Paul wrote to the Galatians that were trying to be justified and receive the Spirit by keeping the law. "This only would I learn of you, Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith" Galatians 3:2. Which again is the Gospel.

Not everyone that hears the Gospel believes the Gospel. Calvinist and Catholics do not believe the Gospel. You cannot say that you believe the Gospel and then say that Jesus only made a limited atonement. Nor can you say that you believe the Gospel and deny that Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Both of those beliefs are anti-Gospel and are anti-Christ.

Paul wrote to the Hebrews,"For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them (they didn't believe it) not being mixed with faith in them that heard it" Hebrews 4:2.

They heard the Gospel but they didn't believe it. They didn't believe that Jesus had atoned for the sins of the world. They didn't believe that Jesus was the savior of the world. They didn't believe the Gospel. To not believe the Gospel as your only means of salvation is to condemn yourself to hell. Faith and the Holy Spirit is only given to those who believe the Gospel.

The Gospel is good news to them that hear it and believe it. The Gospel is the good news that sinners have been reconciled unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19. Because of the doing and dying of Jesus it is now possible for "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord to be saved" Romans 10:13. Salvation has been provided for everyone, "That he by the grace of God has tasted death for eveyone" Hebrews 2:9 Not for just some, but for everyone.

Religion especially Catholicism and Calvinism is a diverson away from Christ and his Gospel. If you do not embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ as your only means of salvation you will most certainly perish.

What if someone doesnt believe that God imputes previously forgiven and destroyed sins back to people? Does that mean that they dont believe the Gospel? An unbeliever? Void of the Holy Spirit?

PureX

That isn't what the scripture says.
In my experience, regarding this, the scriptures are wrong. Or more likely, it's a poor interpretation or application of the original text's true meaning (as is so often the case).

Faith, for me, comes as the result of my choosing to trust in an ideal that I hope is true, but cannot know to be true in advance of acting on it. So I have to choose to place my faith in that ideal, and act on my hope that the ideal will prove to be true. My faith is a direct result of my choice to both to identify it, and to act on it.

Once I do that, and I find that what I'd hoped for turns out to be true, as I'd hoped it would, then I can more easily act on that hope the next time. Or if I act on faith, but find that what I'd hoped to be true, just isn't, then I have to find some new ideal to place my faith in.

None of this has anything to do with anything I hear, read, or otherwise surmise, unless these sources give words to a hope that already lives in my heart, unidentified, and thereby helps me to better recognize and articulate it.

I believe the quote you're using from Romans is being used out of context, as you are applying it to everyone, universally, when it was written to a specific group of people to address a specific religious issue.

Samie

In the OP, Robert said: "Faith and the Holy Spirit is only given to those who believe the Gospel."

Quite reversed, it seems. Believing is exercising faith, hence faith is needed to believe. Also, It's the Spirit that gives life (John 6:63), and one cannot believe unless first made spiritually alive.

I believe all were given faith (Rom 12:3), and that all were made spiritually alive (Eph 2:4-6; Col 2:13). That empowers all and makes all accountable. And only overcomers will not be blotted out from the book of life (Rev 3:5).

Robert Pate

Banned
In the OP, Robert said: "Faith and the Holy Spirit is only given to those who believe the Gospel."

Quite reversed, it seems. Believing is exercising faith, hence faith is needed to believe. Also, It's the Spirit that gives life (John 6:63), and one cannot believe unless first made spiritually alive.

I believe all were given faith (Rom 12:3), and that all were made spiritually alive (Eph 2:4-6; Col 2:13). That empowers all and makes all accountable. And only overcomers will not be blotted out from the book of life (Rev 3:5).

On the day of Pentecost they heard the Gospel, they believed the Gospel and they were saved, Acts 2:41.

Robert Pate

Banned
What if someone doesnt believe that God imputes previously forgiven and destroyed sins back to people? Does that mean that they dont believe the Gospel? An unbeliever? Void of the Holy Spirit?

Just as the Lord imputes righteousness without works, so can he impute sin to unbelievres, Romans 4:7, 8.

Samie

On the day of Pentecost they heard the Gospel, they believed the Gospel and they were saved, Acts 2:41.
And so, faith and Spirit first before believing, NOT believe first to have faith and the Spirit.

One cannot believe without faith because believing is exercising faith.

One cannot hear the gospel unless spiritually alive, and one cannot be spiritually alive without the Spirit because it is the Spirit that gives life.

Samie

Just as the Lord imputes righteousness without works, so can he impute sin to unbelievres, Romans 4:7, 8.
I don't think God imputes sin.

2 Corinthians 5:18-19 18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Robert Pate

Banned
And so, faith and Spirit first before believing, NOT believe first to have faith and the Spirit.

One cannot believe without faith because believing is exercising faith.

One cannot hear the gospel unless spiritually alive, and one cannot be spiritually alive without the Spirit because it is the Spirit that gives life.

Hearing comes first. Nothing happens until you hear the Gospel. When you hear what Christ has done to save you and you believe it and have faith in it, it is then and only then that God gives you the Holy Spirit. God must see you as saved and in Christ before he gives you the Holy Spirit.

This is what Paul meant when he wrote Romans 10:17.

Robert Pate

Banned
I don't think God imputes sin.

2 Corinthians 5:18-19 18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

No sin is imputed until the judgment.

For now God sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ.

That will change when Christ appears.