Evolution... Do we believe?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
video of the guy admitting he made up rodhocetus
https://youtu.be/R7e6C6yUqck

Someone's already called you out on that dishonesty.

Barbarian observes:
"Nebraska man" was largely the invention of a London tabloid:

1st published in science journal

As a primate tooth. The tabloid filled in the rest from imagination.

The imaginative drawing of Nebraska Man to which creationists invariably refer was the work of an illustrator collaborating with the scientist Grafton Elliot Smith, and was done for a British popular magazine, not for a scientific publication. Few if any other scientists claimed Nebraska Man was a human ancestor. A few, including Osborn and his colleagues, identified it only as an advanced primate of some kind. Osborn, in fact, specifically avoided making any extravagant claims about Hesperopithecus being an ape-man or human ancestor:

"I have not stated that Hesperopithecus was either an Ape-man or in the direct line of human ancestry, because I consider it quite possible that we may discover anthropoid apes (Simiidae) with teeth closely imitating those of man (Hominidae), ..."

"Until we secure more of the dentition, or parts of the skull or of the skeleton, we cannot be certain whether Hesperopithecus is a member of the Simiidae or of the Hominidae." (Osborn 1922)

Most other scientists were skeptical even of the more modest claim that the Hesperopithecus tooth belonged to a primate. It is simply not true that Nebraska Man was widely accepted as an ape-man, or even as an ape, by scientists, and its effect upon the scientific thinking of the time was negligible. For example, in his two-volume book Human Origins published during what was supposedly the heyday of Nebraska Man (1924), George MacCurdy dismissed Nebraska Man in a single footnote:

"In 1920 [sic], Osborn described two molars from the Pliocene of Nebraska; he attributed these to an anthropoid primate to which he has given the name Hesperopithecus. The teeth are not well preserved, so that the validity of Osborn's determination has not yet been generally accepted."

Gregory confirmed this in his article which correctly identified the tooth:

The scientific world, however, was far from accepting without further evidence the validity of Professor Osborn's conclusion that the fossil tooth from Nebraska represented either a human or an anthropoid tooth. (Gregory 1927)

Identifying the tooth as belonging to a higher primate was not as foolish as it sounds. Pig and peccary cheek teeth are extremely similar to those of humans, and the specimen was worn, making identification even harder.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/a_nebraska.html

nebraska man was not on the scale of piltdown man

No kidding. One was a fraud, finally exposed by evolutionists. The other was a magazine article based loosely on a single tooth, which was corrected by a paleontologist.

Barbarian, regarding iron as a preservative:
Well, it preserves organic molecules, but it doesn't do much for tissue or cells. So maybe it's not a good idea. Formaldehyde preserves organic material too.
But you probably don't want to rub it on your face. Just saying.

iron does not keep soft tissue soft

Doesn't keep tissue at all. But it can prevent organic material like collagen from breaking down. And that's why there's no tissue, but some organic material still present.

Jose Fly

6days seems to have come down with a bad case of Stipe's Syndrome.

They both have their "I'm out" phrases (signature phrases that are actually their way of saying "I'm done with this discussion").

Stripe's is "Evolutionists hate reading".

6days' phrases are variations on the "Science agrees with God's Word" theme.

But they both mean the same thing....."this conversation is over".

way 2 go

Did you forget about this? Your overzealous attempts to find fraud where there isn't one have been noted

And yes, iron does preserve tissue and keep it soft:

"Researchers used transmission electron microscopy, electron energy loss spectroscopy, micro x-ray diffraction, and Fe micro x-ray absorption near-edge structure capabilities at the ALS to characterize the iron associated with fossil tissues, which occurred primarily as the mineral goethite. They then employed experiments to show that iron, derived from hemoglobin lysate, associated with vessels obtained from surviving ostrich bone, and that incubating bone-derived ostrich blood vessels greatly stabilized these otherwise labile materials against microbial attack and degradation. Synchrotron microprobe techniques were used to compare the iron observed in existing hemoglobin-soaked ostrich vessels with iron associated with dinosaur vessels, and showed similar, but not identical, iron moieties. The chemical speciation of iron in the ostrich tissue was a combination of oxyhaemoglobin and a disordered Fe oxyhydroxide that was referred to as a ‘biogenic-like oxide’, whereas the dinosaur tissues were found to consist of a combination of crystalline goethite and biogenic iron oxyhydroxide. The researchers hypothesize that these represent points on a continuum of biogenic iron to the geological mineral goethite. This mineral is found encapsulated in molecular ‘cages’ in living systems."

http://www-als.lbl.gov/index.php/holding/951-iron-is-the-key-to-preserving-dinosaur-soft-tissue.html
not fact, fiction
showing a possible mechanism for this unexpected preservation

didn't you know

completely mangled the science; link
:eek:
link
For example, in the Brachylophosaurus canadensis fossil, chemical analysis revealed fragments of proteins that included the amino acid known as asparagine, which we know is unstable in the presence of water. However, in order for Schweitzer’s proposed mechanism to work, water must deliver the iron and other key ingredients to the tissue. If that had actually occurred, you wouldn’t expect to find asparagine in the same tissue. In essence, you can’t have it both ways. If you need water for the preservation of the tissue (and her mechanism does), then you don’t expect to find chemicals that are unstable in water preserved in that same tissue!

they are afraid to carbon-14 date the dinosaur soft tissue

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
For example, in the Brachylophosaurus canadensis fossil, chemical analysis revealed fragments of proteins that included the amino acid known as asparagine, which we know is unstable in the presence of water. However, in order for Schweitzer’s proposed mechanism to work, water must deliver the iron and other key ingredients to the tissue. If that had actually occurred, you wouldn’t expect to find asparagine in the same tissue. In essence, you can’t have it both ways. If you need water for the preservation of the tissue (and her mechanism does), then you don’t expect to find chemicals that are unstable in water preserved in that same tissue!

Unfortunately, your nuclear scientist didn't show us his evidence that iron could only work as a preservative in the presence of water. That goes against kinetic theory, in which water is necessary only to affect the pace of reactions. In a few million years, it wouldn't matter, as long as the iron was mixed with the other molecules.

I'm guessing ignorance, but maybe he has something that overturns basic chemistry. Doesn't seem very likely, since he declined to show us.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They both have their "I'm out" phrases (signature phrases that are actually their way of saying "I'm done with this discussion").Stripe's is "Evolutionists hate reading". 6days' phrases are variations on the "Science agrees with God's Word" theme.But they both mean the same thing....."this conversation is over".

Nope.

It is accurate to say that evolutionists hate reading. We respond concisely and accurately your inane questions — which you pose to move attention away from the deficiencies exposed in your religion — yet you act as if nothing has been answered.

Interplanner

I think they answer those kinds of questions. The presuppositional questions, though, just go begging. The problem of improbabilities too! I once heard an illustration on the accuracy of the force of gravity for humans: imagine a tape measure across our galaxy the Milky Way. Now the force of gravity has to be sitting on the exact inch mark of that tape. One inch further and we disintegrate centripetally. Too little and we collapse in condensed matter. But that is only one of about 20 like it, chemical, physical, lightwaves. Does anyone have a computer than can calculate this? They have to work perfectly the first time and all the time, coherently and harmoniously, right?

I can't absorb a Rembrandt for an hour and say, wow, paint is amazing, and then go spend $500K on the apron Rembrandt wore, when $200K will get me the original "Artist's Wife In Bed."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Stipe writes:
Nope.

It is accurate to say that evolutionists hate reading. We respond concisely and accurately your inane questions — which you pose to move attention away from the deficiencies exposed in your religion — yet you act as if nothing has been answered.

Jose gets 20 points.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
they are afraid to carbon-14 date the dinosaur soft tissue

Maybe because anything from a dinosaur is older than the 50,000-70,000 year maximum range that carbon dating is effective for? Just a thought that you don't want to acknowledge.

I noticed you never answered my offer to explain anything about evolution and/or prehistory to you with citations included. The only conclusion is that you don't give a rat's behind about the truth of science behind anything, and only want to whine and complain about how the evidence doesn't come close to supporting the Biblical creation account or worldwide flood. Knock yourself out

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe because anything from a dinosaur is older than the 50,000-70,000 year maximum range that carbon dating is effective for? Just a thought that you don't want to acknowledge.
Maybe.

Or maybe they are afraid of what might be found.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Excuse me, all scientists who aren't YECs are idiots. That's what you mean, right? Therefore 99.7% of all scientists.

Here's something that is certain: You're an idiot.