Even A Dog Barks When His Master Is Attacked

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Regularly we encounter the response to one of our firm answers to another calling attention to their error as but the sarcastic tongue-in-cheek "so nice to see the Christian love being demonstrated in your response". It is as if any clear denunciation of error, even blasphemy, is grounds for waving the tolerance flag. Sigh.

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair for it is the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing,interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die.

We shouldn’t judge people. This one we hear from both the world and the church. With the church it even comes complete with a proof-text, Matthew 7:1. While Jesus warns us to not be too quick to judge, to judge with charity, to judge in a manner we would like to be judged, even He is in this very text calling us to judge, but to judge well. A blanket condemnation of all judging is, well, condemning, and therefore judging. It is hoisted on its own petard.

Christians shouldn’t divide over doctrine. The first question I have is, “Well, what should we divide over?” But the more foundational question is, “Who are the Christians?” There are issues that divide Christians. But there are also issues that divide Christians from non-Christians, some of whom actually claim to be Christians. Is claiming to be Christian sufficient to preclude division? Not according to the Bible. The New Testament tells us to have nothing to do with those who preach a different gospel (Galatians 1:8). That’s a doctrinal matter. It tells us we should have nothing to do with professing believers who are sexually immoral (I Corinthians 5). That’s a doctrinal matter. But worst of all, are not those who make this claim dividing themselves from Christians who believe we should divide over doctrine? The statement itself is doctrine, and is divisive.

Rumor is that the Soviets when fighting in Afghanistan, in an effort to discourage the Afghans took to booby-trapping toys. I suspect these little nuggets of received wisdom I noted above are the devil’s own version of the same strategy. We play with these intellectual toys, but soon enough they blow up in our hands.

I like to hope that anyone here who feels compelled to push the boundaries on core doctrines won’t find many very welcoming. This may come across as some sort of fundamentalist fanaticism, but I do study the Scriptures daily, and I am transformed by them. I also remain convinced of the wisdom of the forefathers that came before us when I read what they have written and compare their writings to Scripture. Not a week goes by that someone somewhere decides they have a new view, new perspective, or new interpretation related to the fundamentals of our faith; despite these fundamentals having withstood the test of time and painful examination for many, many, hundreds of years.

Thus I become very concerned about discussions that start to challenge the core aspects of our faith. For those who see themselves as theological sophisticates, I would ask that these persons seek a more pastoral approach, rather than trying to be innovative. I recognize that within theological circles it seems that only if one is radical or a trail-blazer that they garner attention. But the constant plowing up of new ground is not what I see as the task of theology. Indeed, I am very content to stop, ponder, and be satisfied to walk in the same steps of those who have come before me. In fact, being more willing to so is what is needed today, versus demonstrations to others how wonderful a person’s purported insightful exegesis, logic, or sophisticated reasoning may be.

Plainly stated, there is nothing about the Christian faith about being silent in the face of incorrect doctrine or beliefs. Indeed, Christians are admonished to be alert, or suffer the consequences:

Eze 33:6 But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, so that the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any one of them, that person is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at the watchman's hand.
2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.
2Jn 1:8 Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward.

In other words, Christians are to stand firm in the truth concerning the Lord Jesus Christ so that our labors will not have been in vain, and so that we will receive a full reward. False teachers must never be ignored by the faithful:

2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.

When John writes in 2 John 1:9, “goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ,” he is speaking of false teachers. To transgress is to go beyond the allowed bounds. That is what the cults do; they claim to have new light and teach doctrines that God has not revealed in His word. The cults do not stay within the bounds of the Christian revelation, or abide in the doctrine of Christ, meaning the teachings which Christ Himself brought. The apostle emphasizes in 2 John 1:9 that a cultist may claim to know God, but if he does not believe in the absolute deity and humanity of the Lord Jesus, he does not have God at all. We are solemnly admonished to avoid any association with false teachers.

2 Jn 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting,
2 Jn 1:11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

Christians must be alert to the "it is ok to believe whatever you want to believe as long as you are sincere" attitudes that are quickly dominating our world. To those persons I must say, "that just won't do".

For me, religious pluralism does nothing but dilute the biblical message from Christianity’s God: that there is but one path to eternal redemption. In the spirit of 1 Pe. 3:16-17, I will continue to treat those that disagree with me respectfully and hope for rational and intelligent dialogue, but I won't ransom away what I believe in favor of some sort of ecumenical détente.

Christ makes it very clear to us:

Luk 12:51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.

For me, Christ's words disprove any notions that Jesus came to unite all humanity (godly and ungodly) into a single "universal brotherhood of man." Rather, He divided them as they have never been divided before.

AMR