Doing God's Will

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Some basic principles related to understanding the will of God:

1. Where God commands, we must obey.

2. Where there is no command, God gives us freedom (and responsibility) to choose.
3. Where there is no command, God gives us wisdom to choose.
4. When we have chosen what is moral and wise, we must trust the sovereign God to work all the details together for good.

Virtually all Bible teachers agree (including those who promote the traditional view): Where God commands, we must obey. Yet this simple truth cuts deeper into real life than we usually realize. Every action, thought, motive, attitude, and plan is affected by God’s moral will because its commands go beyond outward actions to search the motives and intents of our most secret desires (1 Samuel 16:7).

Where there is no command, God gives us freedom (and responsibility) to choose. The principle actually is not as radical as it may sound. It does not say that God does not care what we decide. It does not mean that there is no further guidance from God (there are two more principles). It does not say that our decision does not matter or that we can do our own selfish thing. It does say that we are morally free to decide. This freedom is God-given. But alongside that freedom is a God-given responsibility to decide.

Principle three says, where there is no command, God gives wisdom to choose.We are never free to be foolish, stupid, or naive. The freedom in the second principle is limited by the guidance God gives through wisdom. Put differently, wisdom is commanded of believers by the moral will of God and must be applied to all non-commanded decisions.

Principle four states, when we have chosen what is moral and wise, we must trust the sovereign God to work all the details together for good. God's sovereign superintendence of all the particulars assures that after we have followed His guidance in the first three principles, God secretly works all the unknowns and details together for good. He is involved in the smallest particulars even when He does not tell us exactly what to do. This work of God gives the peace of mind that God is guiding in everything.

Instead of vainly looking for “signs and wonders”, if I am considering job offers I examine how God has called me to live my life, what my motives are, what He has given me a heart for, where I am in my walk with Christ, and what God is saying to me through His Word and His people.

The will of God for us all is to rejoice, pray, give thanks, and seek after that which is good for all men.

"I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing, and perfect will" (Romans12:1-2).

One does not divine God's will. One lives God's will as one comes to know Him through His Word. God never calls us in the New Testament to "seek His will," but rather to seek His kingdom and do His will. We ought to stamp out of our vocabulary the non-biblical and misleading expression "finding God's will."

1. Read the Bible
2. Develop a heart for God
3. Seek wise counsel
4. Look for God’s providence
5. Does this make sense?
<o:p>

Ask yourself:

1. What can I do?
2. What do I like to do?
3. What would I like to be able to do?
4. What should I do?

What Can Stop Me from Knowing God’s Will?

Deliberate sin Psalm 66:18–19
Turning a deaf ear to people in need Proverbs 21:13
Ignoring God’s teaching Proverbs 28:9
Active participation in evil Psalm 34:15–16
Failing to ask God James 4:2
Asking in the wrong way James 4:2–3
Having doubts that God gives generously James 1:6–7
Asking in a proud way James 4:6

</o