Does the Sun Move According to the Bible?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
If earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around earth, this would be a huge problem for atheists.

If the earth were flat, this would be a huge problem for atheists. Would you care to make that argument as well?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If the earth were flat, this would be a huge problem for atheists. Would you care to make that argument as well?

Yes, so would a triangle earth, a square earth, a rectangular earth, an octagon earth, a trapezoid earth, a hexagon earth, and a cyclical earth.

You know that wasn't my point.

My point was the earth being the center of the universe, regardless of what shape it is.

If the earth is the center of the universe, and everything revolves around it, atheism is proven false.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Yes, so would a triangle earth, a square earth, a rectangular earth, an octagon earth, a trapezoid earth, a hexagon earth, and a cyclical earth.

My point was the earth being the center of the universe, regardless of what shape it is.

If the earth is the center of the universe, and everything revolves around it, atheism is proven false.

My point is that geocentrism is just as absurd as flat-earthism, and atheists therefore have nothing to worry about. See here for more info: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111608

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My point is that geocentrism is just as absurd as flat-earthism, and atheists therefore have nothing to worry about.

Not true.

Geocentrism cannot be proven false.

Flat-earthism can be proven false.

If you think geocentrism is absurd, go ahead and try to prove it false.

Lon

Everything is in motion. But regarding what I believe the OP is suggesting I think we can safely rules out geocentricism as an option, regardless what the Bible may or may not have indicated.

Aristarchus of Samos proposed an heliocentric system long before Copernicus, which I didn't know until just now. How about that? I actually learned something useful from my time here :think:

Still, the church sure frowned upon Copernicus for his audacity.

Source

That is true too, but saying we are the 'center' doesn't have to mean we are the axis by which all else orbits. I am nowhere near an expert on this stuff, just live next to an astronomer. He has taught me a few things regarding our position in the universe. He is one of the guys who runs Night Skies Network.

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You must not have read my posts to which you are responding. The issue is not science here. The issue is proper interpretation of the Scripture text in question. I have provided it in my linked posts. It is not some metaphor, allegory, etc. Rather it is an historical account. Further, I do not use science, or scientific theories to validate verbal and plenary inspired Scripture. If Scripture says one thing and your science or whatever says something else, start anew beginning with what Scripture teaches. ;)

AMR

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Conversely, you can't disprove heliocentrism, and you can't prove geocentrism.

Which has been my point all along.

However, many verses in the Bible support geocentrism.

Since neither geocentrism or heliocentrism can be proven true or false, why do you pick heliocentrism, when it is contrary to what the Bible teaches?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
You're claiming the earth allegedly travels hundreds of millions of miles in 6 months, and then the stars appear in the exact same spot they were 6 months prior.

I have never made that claim because it's not true. As the Earth orbits the sun the constellations seen from Earth do change.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Please explain the orbit of Mars from a geocentric perspective.

Spoiler
fig5-tycho-sys.jpg

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

If the Earth is not the center of the universe, what does that do to your faith? For me, it makes no difference. Regardless of which model you choose, it is God's creation and He is absolutely sovereign.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Take a camera and point it up at the night sky. Hold the shutter open and then spin around. Now you have a picture of the universe revolving around you. Why would that be the case?

The same reason if you didn't spin around, and the universe spun around you.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Simplistic and wrong.
Here is a picture of the planetary orbits from a geocentric model. Please explain why the planets do loops.

They don't.

There are modified Tychonic systems with elliptical orbits that don't have loops.

No matter how hard you try, you can't prove geocentrism wrong, nor can you prove heliocentrism true.

Since that is the case, why do you choose heliocentrism?