Does Matthew 19:8 explain the polygamy issue?

CherubRam

Matthew 19:8-9 says otherwise:
Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Jesus implies that the divorced man/woman is still considered married in God's eyes. If they marry another, it is still adultery, even though they have married.
I checked the translation and it is not 100% correct. The subject is about a woman remarrying, not the man.

Matthew 19:8-9 (KJV)
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and SHE shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

CherubRam

You are not,surely, suggesting that men were permitted? Paul gives the example of a woman but it applies to men too. After all, his point is about the law last until their death.

Life is not fair Sonnet, but there are reasons for everything. Again, you must take into consideration of how very different things were in those days.

Sonnet

I checked the translation and it is not 100% correct. The subject is about a woman remarrying, not the man.

Matthew 19:8-9 (KJV)
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and SHE shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

I believe you added 'she' for I did not find it in the KJV. None of the translation have it as you suggest:

New International Version
I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

New Living Translation
And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery--unless his wife has been unfaithful."

English Standard Version
And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

Berean Study Bible
Now I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman, commits adultery."

Berean Literal Bible
And I say to you that whoever shall divorce his wife except for sexual immorality, and shall marry another, commits adultery."

New American Standard Bible
"And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

King James Bible
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
And I tell you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery."

International Standard Version
I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

NET Bible
Now I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another commits adultery."

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But I say to you, “Whoever divorces his wife apart from adultery and will take another, commits adultery, and whoever will take her who is divorced commits adultery.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation
I can guarantee that whoever divorces his wife for any reason other than her unfaithfulness is committing adultery if he marries another woman."

New American Standard 1977
“And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Jubilee Bible 2000
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication and shall marry another, commits adultery, and whosoever marries her that is put away commits adultery.

King James 2000 Bible
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery: and whoever marries her who is put away does commit adultery.

American King James Version
And I say to you, Whoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery: and whoever marries her which is put away does commit adultery.

American Standard Version
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and he that marrieth her when she is put away committeth adultery.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And I say to you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and he that shall marry her that is put away, committeth adultery.

Darby Bible Translation
But I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, not for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery; and he who marries one put away commits adultery.

English Revised Version
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and he that marrieth her when she is put away committeth adultery.

Webster's Bible Translation
And I say to you, Whoever shall put away his wife, except for lewdness, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoever marrieth her who is put away, committeth adultery.

Weymouth New Testament
And I tell you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except her unfaithfulness, and marries another woman, commits adultery."

World English Bible
I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and he who marries her when she is divorced commits adultery."

Young's Literal Translation
'And I say to you, that, whoever may put away his wife, if not for whoredom, and may marry another, doth commit adultery; and he who did marry her that hath been put away, doth commit adultery.'

Last edited:

Sonnet

Clearly, Jesus taught that being married to two or more wives constituted adultery. Jesus, in Matthew 19:9, considered the man who divorced his wife (for reasons other than sexual immorality) to still be married to her; so, in marrying someone else, he became guilty of adultery.

Therefore, polygamy is adultery.

Last edited:

Sonnet

Life is not fair Sonnet, but there are reasons for everything. Again, you must take into consideration of how very different things were in those days.

This is assertion. You have not proved that there was one rule for men and another for women regarding Romans 7

Sonnet

Polygamy does not constitute adultery. Marriage is for the benefit for all concerned, but most of all, for the women and children. Under normal circumstance it is best that a man have only one wife. You need to understand that our lives and life style are not like those who lived many years ago.

For the women concerned their husband is effectively committing adultery. However, it may be the least worst option especially in the case of population imbalance and where culture discriminated against women leading to vulnerability.

Last edited: