Do you care if someone else accuses you of or sees you as....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Well, I could call it adultery if she even looked at a man with lust. It really doesn't matter what I decide to call it, it's a fault that will cause her to be chastened right here in this life.

I only care what you think of me, since you are so powerful on TOL. I know that you know so much and you know what's right, whatever you say goes. Oh mighty GD, have pity on me. :)

zoo22

Do you care if someone else accuses you of or sees you as..

1) Racist
2) Homophobic
3) Misogynist or Misandrist
4) A Bigot

Why or why not?

Discuss.

It's situational. Sure, lots of times I care about what someone accuses me of, despite what I meant. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

It seems selfish to me to just say "I don't care what someone else thinks I meant because I know what I meant." You might as well say "I don't care how what I say or do effects other people because what matters is what I think of myself."

Sometimes, sometimes not.

ClimateSanity

Who here behaves exactly the same way when they are by themselves as when they are around others. Do you act the same way no matter who is around you? When you are with one friend, does your demeanor change when another friend drops by in the middle of you being with the first friend?

WizardofOz

Sure, those are bad things to be. But the main issue is what the accuser means by the labels and what action/word of mine prompted them to make the accusation.

:first:

I generally am incapable of concerning myself with others opinion of me but if accused of 1-4 I would ask them to define the accusation used. I would look forward to the discussion that could then take place.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's situational. Sure, lots of times I care about what someone accuses me of, despite what I meant. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

It seems selfish to me to just say "I don't care what someone else thinks I meant because I know what I meant." You might as well say "I don't care how what I say or do effects other people because what matters is what I think of myself."

Sometimes, sometimes not.
I used to care what other people thought about me and how I acted and/or thought. But, then, I grew up and realized that, no matter what I said or did, people were going to believe whatever they wanted about me. So, I no longer care what most people think about me.

zoo22

Otherwise, just accept that sometimes we are racist, and sometimes we are bigots, and sometimes we are hypocrites, and sometimes we spin the truth.

I don't think any of us are perfectly immune from such things at all times.

I partly agree. I agree that none of us are perfectly immune from wrong. Racism, bigotry, whatever. We're imperfect. But I don't agree that we should "just accept it."

To a degree, sure, we need to accept the reality of our imperfection, and if we don't there can't be an honest conversation. (And you can't fix something if you pretend it doesn't exist.) But I think that sort of "that's the way it is, accept it" is manipulated and used very dishonestly, and it winds up being used as an excuse for all sorts of things.

Usually, the subtext of "we're all racist to a degree" is really "(so it's okay that I'm being racist)."

I've never really witnessed this anywhere else to the degree I have at TOL.

zoo22

I used to care what other people thought about me and how I acted and/or thought. But, then, I grew up and realized that, no matter what I said or did, people were going to believe whatever they wanted about me. So, I no longer care what most people think about me.

Sometimes it's good, you have to be true to yourself. Sometimes it just becomes self-righteousness. There's a wide range.

If someone becomes so certain of the condition of their heart that what other people might see doesn't matter? Something's wrong. That's being locked in self-righteousness.

I just don't see it as an ether/or. For me, it's very situational.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I partly agree. I agree that none of us are perfectly immune from wrong. Racism, bigotry, whatever. We're imperfect. But I don't agree that we should "just accept it."

To a degree, sure, we need to accept the reality of our imperfection, and if we don't there can't be an honest conversation. (And you can't fix something if you pretend it doesn't exist.) But I think that sort of "that's the way it is, accept it" is manipulated and used very dishonestly, and it winds up being used as an excuse for all sorts of things.

Usually, the subtext of "we're all racist to a degree" is really "(so it's okay that I'm being racist)."

I've never really witnessed this anywhere else to the degree I have at TOL.
By "accept", I mean to not deny it.

Trad is racist.
He knows he is, and doesn't deny it.
But some are trying their best to deny it and come up with all kinds of excuses and definitions trying to show that he is not really racist.

JosephR

someone here?

nope - don't care

just an observation... a million rep power and u been here? a few months,,, look at Tambora,,many many years and many many studies over 12 years and just 2 million... ect ect ect....

It seems you either do care what others think of you or your the coolest guy I never met....BTW I been watching am an not impressed...

JosephR

By "accept", I mean to not deny it.

Trad is racist.
He knows he is, and doesn't deny it.
But some are trying their best to deny it and come up with all kinds of excuses and definitions trying to show that he is not really racist.

He admits it MANY times in this thread alone....

I give Him honor for honesty..and cannot say i totally disagree with all he says...

PureX

I care.

1-4 are immoral.

Defamation is immoral.
A thoughtful person will care, because he/she will know that such anti-social biases tend to remain invisible to those who hold them. So that if one were to be guilty of any of these (1 - 4 of the OP) one would not likely realize that they are. And so would need someone else to tell them, if they are to recognize it, at all.

I, too, would take such assertions about me seriously, because they are serious assertions. To defame others in word, deed, mind, and/or heart is a direct negation of Jesus' admonishment to love one another, and especially those who we consider or enemies, and those we consider to be the 'least' among us.

PureX

If you don't want to be talked about that way, yes.

Otherwise, just accept that sometimes we are racist, and sometimes we are bigots, and sometimes we are hypocrites, and sometimes we spin the truth.

I don't think any of us are perfectly immune from such things at all times.
That's a good observation that we all often forget about in our ego-driven rush to auto-defend ourselves at the least hint of a flaw.

:up:

PureX

Another question:

If you do accept that you are, on occasion, racist, homophobic, misogynist, or otherwise bigoted as you have been accused, do you:

1. justify it,

2. dismiss it, or

3. apologize and make an effort to stop yourself from being that way going forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.