Deuteronomy 22 - the Holy Bible on rape

Quincy

Since the forum is so focused on the topic right now and there are people who are shocked by it (or don't understand), I believe the verses of the bible which address this ought to be brought up, again. This discussion has been had many times on here. There are a large group of men on here who believe sex acts outside of wedlock should be dealt with in a certain way.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 is often pointed to, to indicate that the bible supports killing rape victims for the guilt of enabling the crime but there is more to it than that. If you read the whole chapter, you can see that it specifically addresses a betrothed virgin who didn't scream for help even though plenty of people were around to help or witness the crime (it happened in a city). There's nothing to add to the text. If a woman was promised to man back then, was raped around other people and didn't or wasn't able to scream, she would be executed.

What of women who aren't virgins? If a woman is accused of not being a virgin by her husband, and couldn't prove him wrong, she'd be executed in front of her father. So, a woman who had premarital relations, would be executed, period. I often wonder how many women today who call themselves Christian and had pre-marital sex, actually feel about knowing that their husband could have had them executed for it (if they even know it at all) . If a married woman sleeps with another man, she should be executed, period. Continued reading shows that the only way to escape blame and execution for pre or extra - (maybe?) marital sex, is to be raped in field with no one around to help or witness it. That is where the stance on rape originates for fundamentalist Christians. Also, a non-betrothed woman who is raped must marry her rapist, if she doesn't and later got married, the husband would have had her executed.

So, there it is. I'm not stating my opinion on it, for I don't think I could convey it in a calm manner but people involved should know where the ideas are coming from and what is actually being said by some men if you read between the lines.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Since the forum is so focused on the topic right now and there are people who are shocked by it (or don't understand), I believe the verses of the bible which address this ought to be brought up, again. This discussion has been had many times on here. There are a large group of men on here who believe sex acts outside of wedlock should be dealt with in a certain way.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 is often pointed to, to indicate that the bible supports killing rape victims for the guilt of enabling the crime but there is more to it than that. If you read the whole chapter, you can see that it specifically addresses a betrothed virgin who didn't scream for help even though plenty of people were around to help or witness the crime (it happened in a city). There's nothing to add to the text. If a woman was promised to man back then, was raped around other people and didn't or wasn't able to scream, she would be executed.

What of women who aren't virgins? If a woman is accused of not being a virgin by her husband, and couldn't prove him wrong, she'd be executed in front of her father. So, a woman who had premarital relations, would be executed, period. I often wonder how many women today who call themselves Christian and had pre-marital sex, actually feel about knowing that their husband could have had them executed for it (if they even know it at all) . If a married woman sleeps with another man, she should be executed, period. Continued reading shows that the only way to escape blame and execution for pre or extra - (maybe?) marital sex, is to be raped in field with no one around to help or witness it. That is where the stance on rape originates for fundamentalist Christians. Also, a non-betrothed woman who is raped must marry her rapist, if she doesn't and later got married, the husband would have had her executed.

So, there it is. I'm not stating my opinion on it, for I don't think I could convey it in a calm manner but people involved should know where the ideas are coming from and what is actually being said by some men if you read between the lines.

Yes, those laws ended with Christ 2000 years ago. Nice thread

Elia

Yes, those laws ended with Christ 2000 years ago. Nice thread

Bs"d

Christ himself didn't think so:

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
Matt 5

"For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God for ever and ever.".

Micah 4:5

musterion

What does your affiliation of "other" mean?