Designer babies are coming

Tinark

In the same month, separate teams of scientists at Harvard University and the Broad Institute reported similar success with the gene-editing tool. A scientific stampede commenced, and in just the past two years, researchers have performed hundreds of experiments on CRISPR. Their results hint that the technique may fundamentally change both medicine and agriculture.

Some scientists have repaired defective DNA in mice, for example, curing them of genetic disorders. Plant scientists have used CRISPR to edit genes in crops, raising hopes that they can engineer a better food supply. Some researchers are trying to rewrite the genomes of elephants, with the ultimate goal of re-creating a woolly mammoth. Writing last year in the journal Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, Motoko Araki and Tetsuya Ishii of Hokkaido University in Japan predicted that doctors will be able to use CRISPR to alter the genes of human embryos “in the immediate future.”

Thanks to the speed of CRISPR research, the accolades have come quickly. Last year MIT Technology Review called CRISPR “the biggest biotech discovery of the century.” The Breakthrough Prize is just one of several prominent awards Doudna has won in recent months for her work on CRISPR; National Public Radio recently reported whispers of a possible Nobel in her future.

Even the pharmaceutical industry, which is often slow to embrace new scientific advances, is rushing to get in on the act. New companies developing CRISPR-based medicine are opening their doors. In January, the pharmaceutical giant Novartis announced that it would be using Doudna’s CRISPR technology for its research into cancer treatments. It plans to edit the genes of immune cells so that they will attack tumors.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20150206-crispr-dna-editor-bacteria/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pp17E4E-O8

How many modifications to the genome until they are no longer human? Will your God not give them a soul once they are no longer human?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How many modifications to the genome until they are no longer human? Will your God not give them a soul once they are no longer human?

We are sure that you are desperate to find out, regardless of whatever harm you will certainly do.

The Berean

More nonsense. I always chuckle when I hear "in the immediate future". When I was a kid in the early 1980's supposedly fusion power plants, flying cars, and Rosie the Robot type androids were "in the immediate future". Well it's 35+ years later and we are still waiting.

Even if this genetic technology would become reality it would be exclusively available for the super rich people. People who live in the ghettos and barrios need not apply.

Tinark

More nonsense. I always chuckle when I hear "in the immediate future". When I was a kid in the early 1980's supposedly fusion power plants, flying cars, and Rosie the Robot type androids were "in the immediate future". Well it's 35+ years later and we are still waiting.

Even if this genetic technology would become reality it would be exclusively available for the super rich people. People who live in the ghettos and barrios need not apply.

It's already been used to successfully modify mouse embryos. New companies are forming fast. There is a huge amount of buzz on this technology. This looks like the real deal this time.

Also, like any new technology, it will start out expensive and then become cheaper over time.

Current reproductive technologies, while expensive, aren't just for the super rich any more.

The Berean

It's already been used to successfully modify mouse embryos. New companies are forming fast. There is a huge amount of buzz on this technology. This looks like the real deal this time.
You mean like the dot-com buzz and the solar technology buzz of the 21st century?

Also, like any new technology, it will start out expensive and then become cheaper over time.

Current reproductive technologies, while expensive, aren't just for the super rich any more.

How many people from the ghettos and barrios use reproductive technology to have children? :think: Current reproductive technologies are very expensive. My brother and his wife spent about $15,000. Another couple I know spent $20,000 and and still didn't have any children in the end.

Daniel1611

L.A. Marzulli made the observation that the mark of the beast could have some sort of genetic modification involved. I don't feel that there is a strong case for this, but certainly in the realm of possibility.

The Berean

L.A. Marzulli made the observation that the mark of the beast could have some sort of genetic modification involved. I don't feel that there is a strong case for this, but certainly in the realm of possibility.

Wow, I haven't thought about that Daniel. :think:

Quincy

Thanks for the warning, Paul Revere.

I think preventing genetic disorders is a worthwhile pursuit, don't get me wrong but transhumanism is far more exciting. I'd rather have an arm capable of lifting a car than know my parents chose my eye color but I understand why I'm probably in the minority there.