Contradictions in the Bible

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Chair, you're Jewish correct? If you don't want to answer okay. I'll find out from somebody else.

all you have to do is visit his profile page to find out -
just like we can find out you are mad by visiting yours -
oh that is not true -
all we need to do is read some of your posts

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am Jewish. Observant. Live in Israel. And likely know far more about Biblical archaeology than some who post here.

We do not celebrate the Exodus because someone found some archaeological ruins proving that it happened, nor will we stop doing so if nobody ever finds such ruins. There is to date no archaeological proof of the Exodus, and one must be honest about that.
Does any of this have credence in your estimation?

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/red...ns-of-egyptian-army-from-the-biblical-exodus/

TweetyBird

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I am Jewish. Observant. Live in Israel. And likely know far more about Biblical archaeology than some who post here.

We do not celebrate the Exodus because someone found some archaeological ruins proving that it happened, nor will we stop doing so if nobody ever finds such ruins. There is to date no archaeological proof of the Exodus, and one must be honest about that.

Are you on TOL to bring doubt onto the Bible or to teach the Bible?

chair

It's a satire site:

WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people – are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any persons, living, dead, or undead is purely a miracle.

CherubRam

Has anyone else here looked into the contradictions documented in the Bible? Also, there is a fair amount of documentation of "Biblical" figures and events that were actually taken from earlier traditions and altered. I've found the site "Exposing Christianity" to be an interesting source for this. Has anyone else here looked into this, researched it, etc.?

Don't believe everything you read. If you tell the truth, and someone comes along and twist your words, does that make you a liar?

Danoh

Has anyone else here looked into the contradictions documented in the Bible? Also, there is a fair amount of documentation of "Biblical" figures and events that were actually taken from earlier traditions and altered. I've found the site "Exposing Christianity" to be an interesting source for this. Has anyone else here looked into this, researched it, etc.?

I study the Scripture from a Mid-Acts Perspective, more or less; and that I embraced after much study of recurrent patterns of things in Scripture.

Along the way, I have found and continue to find the endless myths of men in one form or another.

Each one, gradually proven a myth by the Scripture.

According to Scripture, for example the scholars as experts continue to be proven as wrong in their assertion that Peter and Paul had preached the same gospel - as wrong as they have been in their findings on the Exodus; which was actually 200 hundred years earlier than when the vast majority of the world's leading scholars, archeologists, historians, etc., erroneously continue to place it.

I posted on this latter point elsewhere on TOL; I forget where.

But anyway, perhaps the subject of your OP is actually a valid concern to you; what is it you are actually after?

Thanks...

chair

For those who are interested in understanding the Bible, try this: Read the stories of David and Saul, starting in 1 Samuel 16. Are they consistent?

Wick Stick

There is to date no archaeological proof of the Exodus, and one must be honest about that.
There's a little. The copper mines at Timna and the tabernacle of Hathor at the site (which closely matches the Biblical tabernacle in design). The sudden appearance of a different pottery style in the northern Negev in Iron I.

What doesn't exist, are human remains from ~2 million Israelites who died wandering around in the Sinai peninsula. I think that's because they weren't wandering in Sinai; they were wandering in Arabia.

chair

There's a little. The copper mines at Timna and the tabernacle of Hathor at the site (which closely matches the Biblical tabernacle in design). The sudden appearance of a different pottery style in the northern Negev in Iron I.
Timna is fascinating. I recommend visiting there but not in the summer.
What doesn't exist, are human remains from ~2 million Israelites who died wandering around in the Sinai peninsula. I think that's because they weren't wandering in Sinai; they were wandering in Arabia.

That is what is missing. I have heard of the Saudi Arabian theory, but have not seen any really convincing evidence for that. I am not convinced that it matches the Biblical text well either. Maybe more information will show up some day.

CherubRam

The Real Mount Sinai Found In Saudi Arabia: http://www.messianic-literary.com/mt_sinai.htm

Wick Stick

Timna is fascinating. I recommend visiting there but not in the summer.
I haven't been, but I took the cable car up to Masada in July, once. :melting:

That is what is missing. I have heard of the Saudi Arabian theory, but have not seen any really convincing evidence for that. I am not convinced that it matches the Biblical text well either. Maybe more information will show up some day.
If you're referring to Jabal al-Lawz (Cherub Ram has already linked an article), then there's not a lot of evidence, but there are enough similarities or coincidences to make one wonder.

For Arabia as a whole, I think it matches the Biblical record pretty well.

First, the Biblical record shows that Moses was originally taking the Israelites to Medina (Midian), which is in Arabia.

Second, if we accept that they went to Timna for all that Bronze work that is recorded, then we are admitting that they had already left the Sinai peninsula early on.

Third, look at where they re-entered Canaan. They came in from the East across from Jericho, not from the south, as would be expected if they had been in Sinai.

Fourth, the Biblical record seems to indicate that they were in an area with some vulcanism (e.g. fiery mountains, pillars of clouds, bitter springs). That could be anywhere within the Rift Valley (which includes both al-Lawz and Timna, along with the entire western coast of Arabia, the Jordan river valley, the Dead Sea, and historic Edom and Moab). I don't know of any vulcanism in Sinai, though.

Jarrod