Christ's Commandments

WeberHome

Re: Christ's Commandments

Titus 2:15 . . These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't mean that pastors should speak with a bullying, imperialistic, intimidating tone of voice. Pastors, after all, are supposed to be shepherds rather than a bull o' the woods bossing a logging crew; so to speak.

The koiné Greek word for "disregard" is periphroneo (per-ee-fron-eh'-o) which basically means to depreciate; viz: to marginalize. i.e. to consider superfluous, expendable, and/or nonessential.
_

WeberHome

Titus 3:1 . . Remind your people to submit to the government and its officials. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good.

Civil disobedience-- defined as the active, professed refusal of a citizen to obey certain laws of the state, and/or demands, orders, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power; i.e. non compliance with constituted law and order --is essentially criminal.

Henry David Thoreau insisted that individuals should not permit governments to overrule or atrophy their consciences, and that they have a duty to avoid allowing such acquiescence to enable the government to make them the agents of injustice.

At first glance, Thoreau's ideas makes good sense. However; it's important to take into account that Thoreau was a secular humanist indifferent to the dictates of a supreme being whose commandments, laws, rules, statutes, and edicts trump all other forms of government. Thoreau's concept of civil disobedience foments anarchy which, according to Rom 13:1-5 and 1Pet 2:13-15, is strictly forbidden for Christ's followers.

I highly recommend that Christ's followers NOT get themselves involved in political activism; viz: movements and/or protests, demonstrations, and marches, etc. You'll just get yourself in trouble with the law and in trouble with God too.

A bad example is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's activism wherein he was arrested upwards of thirty times. His civil disobedience was political, i.e. patterned after Thoreau's philosophy with just enough religion thrown in to give the impression that King was on a mission from God. If you get arrested while following Thoreau's philosophy and/or King's example, you will fully deserve jail time; and don't expect God to applaud. You'll be on your own. (cf. John 15:1-10)
_

WeberHome

Titus 3:2 . . malign no one, be non-contentious, gentle, showing every consideration for all men.

The koiné Greek word for "malign" is blasphemeo (blas-fay-meh'-o) which means: to vilify

Webster's defines vilify as: to lower in estimation or importance, and/or to utter abusive statements against

Vilification is a clear violation of Phil 2:3, which reads: Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Should I consider Bernard "Bernie" Madoff as better than myself? (chuckle) No. It isn't vilification to say the man is a crumb when he's been clearly proven to be one. That's neither malignant nor malevolent. What we're talking about here are innocent victims of mean-spirited, unwarranted vilification rather than those fully deserving of it. And besides, church officers need to be careful what they say about people because sometimes it seems the walls themselves have ears.

"Curse not the king, even in your thought; curse not the rich, even in your bedroom; for a bird of the air may carry your voice, and a bird in flight may tell the matter." (Ecc 10:20)
_

WeberHome

Titus 3:8 . .This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God may be careful to engage in good deeds.

To "speak confidently" implies speaking with an assertive, "no buts" attitude; viz: the things a preacher teaches his congregation should not be open to debate and/or perpetual bull sessions that never get to the bottom of anything.

The koiné Greek word for "deeds" is very common throughout the New Testament; more often translated "works" than deeds. We're not talking about Boy Scout kinds of deeds but just simply the spiritual morality of one's day to day conduct; viz: a life that pleases God instead of one that irritates Him to no end.

"Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption." (Eph 4:30)
_

WeberHome

Titus 3:9 . . Shun foolish controversies, and genealogies, and strife, and disputes about the Law; for they are unprofitable and worthless.

The "law" in question is the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God in the Old Testament. Disputes generally revolve around its interpretation and its correct application.

Jehovah stipulated the formation of a panel of lawyers to interpret the law for those among His people who lacked the wherewithal to do it for themselves (Deut 17:8-13). But since Christians are outside the covenant's jurisdiction, then they can get by without those lawyers to interpret it for them; and besides; when you consider there are nine Justices on the US Supreme Court who seldom agree unanimously on anything, how much chance do you reckon a panel of seventy has of reaching a consensus?

One of the "foolish controversies and genealogies" I would highly recommend that believers avoid is Rome's roster of so-called apostolic successors. Don't even go there. It's unprofitable, futile, and pointless to strive over something like that. Pick your battles, and make sure your conflicts accomplish something truly useful for Christ. The Vatican has much bigger problems within its walls and its dogmas than that one.
_

WeberHome

Titus 3:10-11 . . A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

The koiné Greek word for "heretic" is hairetikos (hahee-ret-ee-kos') which means: a schismatic; which is someone in your very own church who causes dissent, rebellion, division, discord, and disharmony.

Heretics are not outsiders; no, a true heretic goes to the same church you go to and professes to believe and practice the very same religion that you profess to believe and practice; viz: for Catholics, a heretic would be a professing Catholic who openly disagrees with Rome, and attempts to persuade other Catholics to join their cause in opposing Vatican Council II in order to reform the Church.

Webster's defines a heretic as: 1) a dissenter from established church dogma; especially one who disavows a revealed truth, and 2) one who dissents from an accepted belief or doctrine; viz: a nonconformist.

I am an ex-Catholics and I oppose Rome. However, I don't fit the definition of a heretic. I'm what's known in Christian circles as an apostate; viz: a defector; which Webster's defines as a person who forsakes one's cause, party, or nation for another often because of a change in ideology. Heretics don't usually defect; but remain inside to foster insurrection: to undermine hierarchy, to bring about reform, to weaken, and to cause division. Every church has its fair share of heretics and they can be very disruptive in a Sunday school class.

The koiné Greek word for "reject" is paraiteomai (par-ahee-teh'-om-ahee) which means: to beg off; viz: deprecate, decline, and shun. In other words, don't give heretics the time of day, nor be seen with them attending church.

Some religions, e.g. Jehovah's Witnesses, practice total shunning; viz: not only in church, but outside too; even in homes and families. That's pretty extreme and I really don't think Paul means we should go that far with it.
_

WeberHome

Titus 3:14 . . And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.

The pronoun "ours" obviously excludes the heretics. They don't need to maintain good works since they're essentially tares rather than wheat; nothing they do in Christ's name is merit-worthy.

"Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Master, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them : I never knew you. Depart from me, you that work iniquity." (Matt 7:22-23)
_

WeberHome

Titus 3:15 . . Greet them that love us in the faith.

Heretics are of course excluded from the group that Paul labeled "them that love us in the faith". It would be a sin to require believers to say hello to them for Paul; since his orders are to shun heretics. He he didn't want to know them anymore. They were not his favorite kinds of Christians.

You know what that says to me? It says to me that heretics are even less acceptable than a stranger because Christ instructed his disciples to greet strangers.

"And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the publicans do so?" (Matt 5:47)

So heresy is pretty serious.
_

WeberHome

Philemon

In the little communiqué to his friend Philemon, Paul went to bat for a runaway slave named Onesimus. By all rights, Philemon could legally, under Roman law, put Onesimus to death; but as Onesimus' fellow believer, and his sibling around the table in God's home, Philemon was bound by a higher sense of duty and association.

Onesimus ran away prior to his conversion to Christianity. Had he been a Christian, he would have been mindful of Eph 6:5-8, Col 3:22-25, 1Tim 6:1- 2, and Titus 2:9-10a and not run away.

Now that Onesimus was a fellow believer, Philemon was obligated to comply with Eph 6:9a, and Col 4:1.

You know, I keep using words like "obligated" but though that word is appropriate, it shouldn't have to be emphasized because Christianity is supposed to be a religion of devotion rather than obligation to duty.

"By love serve one another." (Gal 5:13)

Israel's covenanted law requires people to love others as themselves; but Jesus commands believers to love their fellow believers with the same degree of love with which he himself loves them.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (John 15:12)

That being the case, it must have been very easy for Philemon to let bygones be bygones and welcome Onesimus back into his home.

When Onesimus became Philemon's fellow believer, the nature of their association took on a whole other dimension; viz: every one of the commands that I've posted up till now, in regards to believers associating with one another, came into play at the moment of Onesimus' conversion.

He and Philemon would never again relate to one another the same as before Onesimus' conversion. Where once Onesimus and Philemon were merely fellow men; in Christ they became siblings, and both will one day sit side by side, shoulder to shoulder as equals around the table in God's home.

"For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; not now as a slave, but above a slave, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord?" (Philem 1:15-16)

As a conscientious Christian, Onesimus no doubt became a real asset because it wouldn't be necessary for Philemon to ever again beat an honest day's work out of him.

"All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered. Those who have believing masters are not to show less respect for them because they are brothers. Instead, they are to serve them even better, because those who benefit from their service are believers, and dear to them." (1Tim 6:1-2)
_

WeberHome

Heb 2:1-4 . .We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to His will.

NOTE: The pronoun "we" probably refers specifically to Jews because, in essence, that's to whom and for whom the letter was penned. (Heb 1:1-2)

I don't think the words "drift away" imply apostasy; not in this case anyway. No; it's more like a curious crowd that gathers around a soap box speaker, and little by little, man by man, boredom sets in-- the audience begins dispersing and people move on to find something else to do. That would be akin to attending a Billy Graham crusade for its entertainment, and a month later totally forgetting everything he talked about.

BTW: The passage above mentions angels. Stephen verified that Moses received the Law at the hands of angels (Acts 7:53) but if you go back and read that story, you won't find any celestial beings in the picture other than Jehovah and that's because the Hebrew word for angels doesn't always speak of personages. Sometimes it speaks of apparitions; for example:
voices, smoke, fire, earthquakes, thundering, and loud horns. (Ex 19:10-20, Ex 20:18, Heb 12:18-21)
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

Heb 3:1 . .Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the apostle and High Priest whom we acknowledge: Christ Jesus

The "holy brethren" are Moses' people as per Deut 14:2 and Ps 135:4; and the "heavenly calling" very likely refers to the nation that God promised to make of Abraham as per Gen 12:1-2, Gen 13:14-16, and Gen 22:16-18.

The koiné Greek word for "consider" is katanoeo (kat-an-o-eh'-o) which means: to observe fully; viz: to study; to examine.

You know, giving Christ a cursory glance as if he were a curiosity or a brief distraction leads nowhere. His purpose and his mission are just too extensive for that sort of once-over approach.
_

WeberHome

Heb 3:7-11 . . So, as the Holy Spirit says: Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert, where your fathers tested and tried Me and for forty years saw what I did. That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said: Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known My ways. So I declared on oath in My anger; they shall never enter My rest.

That's a quote from Psalm 95; which pertains to the people of Israel whom Yhvh rescued from Egyptian slavery. No doubt there are lots of modern Jews who would say: Had I been out there with Moses in the desert, I would have obeyed God and entered the promised land when Yhvh said to the first time. Sure, sure, it's easy to be obedient in hindsight sans the added handicap of peer pressure. But where's the average Jew today? The majority are hiloni (secular). And if you were to take a poll of the more than twelve million Jews resident on today's Earth, how many would you find who have ever even one time read Psalm 95?

In point of fact, the generation that followed Joshua into Canaan didn't get rest; no, they got warfare; years of it. And instead of obtaining a permanent state of peace and prosperity, they wound up getting oppression, slavery, poverty, environmental disasters, plagues, defeat, and dispersal.

"For if Joshua had given them rest, then would not Psalm 95 afterward have spoken of a different day. There remains therefore a rest to the people of God." (Heb 4:8-9)

I'm going to deliberately misquote that last sentence like this:

"There is another rest for the people of God."

No, it doesn't say "another" rest; it's the same rest, the one they failed to obtain the first time; viz: it's been on hold all these many long years; and observers only need look at the state of that country today to easily perceive that Moses' people have yet to obtain rest of any kind: either politically, environmentally, or economically.
_

WeberHome

Heb 3:12-13 . . Take heed, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But implore one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

That's a call to theocratic unity; Jewish theocratic unity. But good luck getting the Jews to rally around Yhvh. Oh well, the author was duty-bound to try; as all the prophets before him in the past were duty-bound to try; usually to no avail.

"Who were they who heard and rebelled? Was it not all those whom Moses led out of Egypt? And with whom was Yhvh angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? So then, we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief." (Heb 3:16-19)

Belief is not only consent to a statement's truthfulness. No, Bible belief contains the element of trust; the absence of which led to the Jews' downfall in the Sinai. God told them to attack Palestine, but they didn't believe they were strong enough to do it. Well, that part was true; they weren't. However, Yhvh promised to be on their side. That part was true too, and had they been as convinced of that second part as strongly as they were the first, they would have been okay.

But alas, they failed to rely upon Yhvh as a man of His word; and subsequently, they missed out on their one and only opportunity to enter an era of peace, prosperity, and providence.
_

WeberHome

Heb 4:1-2 . .Therefore, let us fear lest, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you should seem to have come short of it. For indeed we have had the gospel preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it wasn't mixed with faith in those who heard.

When reading the Bible; it's always important to pay close attention to language, grammar, and syntax. In this passage we're looking at, the pronouns us, you, we, they, and those don't refer to Gentiles; no, not at all. They refer to the author's fellow Jewish countrymen. This is, after all, a letter to Hebrews, not to the world.

The "gospel" spoken of in this instance is a concise version of the message with which most Christians are familiar, and its focus was mainly upon the kingdom of God rather than the grace of God. (e.g. Matt 4:23, Mark 1:14-15). The Jews' homeland would've been the center of the kingdom of God back then just as it will be in the future. In other words: the kingdom of God has been offered to the Jews at least twice already-- once by Moses and once by Jesus --and will be offered to them yet a third time in the future. But I rather suspect that next time the Jews won't have a say in the matter.

Jews are now in an era sometimes called the church age; which is an open-season opportunity for them to at least enroll in the kingdom as its future citizens.

"It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later He spoke through David, as was said before: "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts." (Heb 4:6-7)

Heb 4:11 . . Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall through following the same example of disbelief.

The "fall" in that instance refers to the Jews' failure to enter the kingdom's land when they were given the opportunity; which was indeed a very brief open season.
_

WeberHome

Heb 4:14 . . Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us cling to what we acknowledge

Prior to Christ, the closest proximity that Moses' people had to God was their Aaonic priest. But even he was earth-bound and his own closest proximity to the actual person of God was the holy place in either the tabernacle or the Temple.

One of the advantages of Christ's priesthood is his immortality; in other words: the Lord continues as a priest forever because he rose from the dead impervious to death. Aaron and his sons were not so lucky.

"Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him." (Rom 6:9)

"Also there were many priests, because they were prevented by death from continuing. But he, because he continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since he always lives to make intercession for them." (Heb 7:23-25)
_

WeberHome

Heb 4:15-16 . . For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.

The koiné Greek word for "confidence" in Heb 4:16 is parrhesia (par-rhay-see'-ah) which means: all out-spokenness; viz: frankness, bluntness.

Since Jesus is a man who's been around the block a few times; there is no need to be reticent with him. It's okay to speak our minds-- to be direct, to be candid --just as we would share our thoughts with beer buddies and/or yoga pals. That is a huge improvement over stuffing pieces of paper in the stone chinks of the so-called Wailing Wall while rocking back and forth like a plastic bobble toy and reciting rote prayers from a siddur.
_

WeberHome

Heb 6:1-3 . .Let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And God permitting, we will do so.

At this point in the letter to Hebrews, the author talks to Jews about a high priest named Melchizedek who lived in Abraham's day. Mel is largely ignored on internet forums; which is really a shame because his priesthood, and its constituents, are above the Ten Commandments and thoroughly immune to prosecution for breaking them; which is just the ticket for Jews because they have no immunity from prosecution for even the tiniest infraction.

"Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out." (Deut 27:26)

"Truly; until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law until all is accomplished." (Matt 5:18)

"Whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." (Jas 2:10)
_

WeberHome

Heb 10:21-22 . . Since we have a high priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart, in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience

Sprinkling was a common ritual in the Old Testament-- sometimes with water, sometimes with oil, and sometimes with blood --for example: Ex 29:16, Ex 29:21, Lev 14:7, Lev 14 16, and Num 8:7, et al.

Sprinkling typically serves to de-contaminate someone or some thing in order to make it suitable for God's purposes. Well, in point of fact; none of the Old Testament's sprinklings served to cleanse people's conscience once and for all time. They had to keep bringing one sacrifice after another in a perpetual stream of sacrifices because each sacrifice cleansed their conscience just that one time instead of for all time.

"We have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; but he, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time onward until his enemies be made a footstool for His feet. For by one offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified." (Heb 10:10-14)

Christ sat down at the right hand of God; which is something the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God does not allow for its high priest, He dare not linger with God in the holy of holies behind the veil primarily because the blood of a beast that the priest sprinkles on the mercy seat doesn't suffice to permanently sanitize either himself or the people.
_

WeberHome

Heb 10:23 . . Let us cling to the acknowledgment of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised)

"He is faithful" could also be said "He is unwavering"

One can scarcely blame the author's Hebrew audience for wondering if perchance they're making a really big mistake dumping the covenant that Moses' people made with God as per Deut 29:9-15. A lot is at stake.

For one thing, the covenant is their sacred heritage and their cultural identity; and for another, the covenant is a contract that obligates God to lower the boom on His people with some pretty severe penalties for breaching it: they're all on file at Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69. When Hebrews convert to Christianity, they have to wonder if maybe they're stepping off into an abyss from whence there is no return.

But the reality is: they have nothing to lose by taking that step because the original covenant provides neither forgiveness nor atonement for willful sins; which can be defined as deeds committed by someone knowing beforehand that what they were about to do is wrong.

"The priest shall atone for the erring soul which sinned inadvertently before The Lord, so as to atone on his behalf, and it shall be forgiven him. One law shall apply to anyone who sins inadvertently from the native born of the children of Israel and the proselyte who resides among them.

. . . But if a person should act highhandedly, whether he is a native born or a proselyte, he is blaspheming The Lord, and that soul shall be cut off from among its people. For he has scorned the word of The Lord and violated His commandment; that soul shall be utterly cut off; for its iniquity is upon it." (Num 12:28-31, cf. Heb 10:26)

I'm pretty sure it was Num 12:28-31 that Paul had in mind when he informed his Jewish countrymen "through Jesus everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the law of Moses" (Acts 13:39)

One of the more common willful sins is dishonesty. Everybody knows it's wrong but go about it anyway. Well; dishonesty is forbidden by the original covenant.

"You shall not lie, one man to his fellow." (Lev 19:11)

So then, when a Torah-trained Jew tells a lie; he acts highhandedly; viz: he commits a willful sin for which the original covenant provides neither forgiveness nor atonement. That man is a scofflaw and in desperate need of a safety net.

Now, the author mentioned that "He is faithful that promised". So then, what is the promise? Well; the promise relates, among other things, to God's spirit; which began its journey to His people back in the Old Testament thusly:

"This is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: In the last days, God says, I will pour out My spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out My spirit in those days, and they will prophesy." (Joel 2:28-29, cf. Acts 2:16-18)

And:

"I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My spirit in you and move you to follow My decrees and be careful to keep My laws." (Ezek 36:24-27)

The promise is gold because the forgiveness it promises applies to "all" your impurities i.e. willful sins just as much as inadvertent sins; viz; it's the safety net that every Torah-trained Jew so desperately needs to get him out from under the original covenant's terrible consequences for breaching it.

"Cursed be he who does not uphold the words of this Torah, to fulfill them." (Deut 27:26)
_