Christian censorship: Atheist billboard taken down

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Reading the article, it does sounds a bit like the group that put up the billboard is kinda looking for a fight.
That was my impression, though my initial entrance on the point was to note fly stretching things a bit, if unintentionally.

But I don't see anything really objectionable in the billboard itself.
It's not the billboard, but the timing and the above you note as well that makes it lamentable and, to my mind, in poor taste. It is, however, a great way to manage free press and when they missed the intended mark they settled for taking the secondary, if lesser legal/public issue instead of taking the money or other offers.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Atheist Billboard in Alabama Gets Taken Down Two Weeks Early Following Complaints from Local Residents

Free speech!! Censorship!! Soon it'll be illegal to be an atheist!!! Aaaaaahhhhhhh!

:chuckle:
The complaints were the result of fear and confusion.

Too many of us cannot believe or accept the idea that people in this nation have different ways of seeing things.

And because of the conservative and fundamentalist strains in both America and the Middle East, atheism has become more observable and outspoken.

Islam and Christianity are both hypocritical, violent, otherworldly, elitist, patriarchal and bigoted.

People in our global culture are no longer compelled or persuaded by ancient theological holdovers from centuries ago. Unless Muslims and Christians can even understand these objections and be able to respond to them in reasonable ways, these expressions of faith will surely pass away.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Fact remains, the clueless on each side will howl and moan that everything is "censorship" if it impacts their ideology.

We just aren't used to seeing it from the atheist side on this board, that's all.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
The validity of religious complaint rests in this:

Where promoting religion is to promote help from a higher power; a personal gain which affects no one, atheist billboards are just an attack on the religious.

Nobody is reading that sign thinking 'Gee, being an atheist is hard, I should look them up'.
Please! It's propaganda; cheap shots against religion. For no God grants you nothing, but God will grant you many things.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The validity of religious complaint rests in this:

Where promoting religion is to promote help from a higher power; a personal gain which affects no one, atheist billboards are just an attack on the religious.

Nobody is reading that sign thinking 'Gee, being an atheist is hard, I should look them up'.
Please! It's propaganda; cheap shots against religion. For no God grants you nothing, but God will grant you many things.
To me it was more of an eye rolling, "Oh, come on" response. Tacky, but not particularly aggressive as that sort of thing goes. A calculated grab at a larger and free headline/advert for their site. Because if it had launched with enough time before Christmas you can bet every news station on the local air would have a segment on the "controversial" timing.

rexlunae

That was my impression, though my initial entrance on the point was to note fly stretching things a bit, if unintentionally.

I think I agree there. I kinda took the Fly's post to be in the style of Jefferson's "More liberal censorship" threads, and thus part self-parody. I don't know if that was the intention or not, but if it was meant completely in earnest, I think it's a bit silly.

It's not the billboard, but the timing and the above you note as well that makes it lamentable and, to my mind, in poor taste. It is, however, a great way to manage free press and when they missed the intended mark they settled for taking the secondary, if lesser legal/public issue instead of taking the money or other offers.

I'm not really one to get my raison d'etre from a highway billboard. It's just that the prevailing culture is most oppressive prevailing during the Christmas season. That can be isolating, especially if you are part of a family that largely follows the prevailing faith. And the message, as written, is exceptionally appropriate to address that problem exactly. It doesn't actually say anything about anyone's religion. If was meant as a poke in the eye to Christians, it's really a pretty weak and indirect one, and there really is an audience of people who could use the reminder that they aren't the only one rolling their eyes at a good bit of it. Especially, I would presume, in Alabama.

rexlunae

Doesn't that kinda speak against the notion that it's a form of atheist evangelism? Seems like the message would be a bit different if it were trying to change people's minds.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think I agree there. I kinda took the Fly's post to be in the style of Jefferson's "More liberal censorship" threads, and thus part self-parody. I don't know if that was the intention or not, but if it was meant completely in earnest, I think it's a bit silly.
An overreach at any rate.

I'm not really one to get my raison d'etre from a highway billboard.
Even if the billboard is in French? :french:

It's just that the prevailing culture is most oppressive prevailing during the Christmas season.
But that message is and has been overwhelmingly secularized outside of churches.

That can be isolating, especially if you are part of a family that largely follows the prevailing faith.
I could understand, but I don't see a website changing that. Or one needing to wait until the holiday is upon us to begin to try.

And the message, as written, is exceptionally appropriate to address that problem exactly. It doesn't actually say anything about anyone's religion.
It speaks directly to the premise of any faith in negation. Else, see my immediate prior.

If was meant as a poke in the eye to Christians, it's really a pretty weak and indirect one,
I don't think the impact or commiserate and I think premeditated coverage/exposure/free advertising would have been weak. It's tailor made for local outrage and national coverage.

"People in the Bible Belt are a little upset this Christmas..."

and there really is an audience of people who could use the reminder that they aren't the only one rolling their eyes at a good bit of it.
And there are any number of perfectly good months to get that mission under way. Months better suited to harmonious coexistence and less obviously trading on the other community.

Especially, I would presume, in Alabama.
People presume all sorts of things about the state, but most of that goes out of the window when they live among us for a while.

The northernmost part of the state and the southernmost are really not that much like the larger middle reaches. The panhandle is a much more relaxed and humorous place to live. The northernmost a more cultured and rigid portion and the middle will shoot you if you look at it crossly.

Mobile is a bit of a mix. More of a giant small town than a city and that divided into very diverse populations and attitudes, which you can get a sampling of come Madi Gras. But I digress...;)

Daedalean's_Sun

Daedalean's_Sun

Why would an atheist feel any more alone in December than they do in January? There's such a strong parallel secular celebration going on this feels like an invention. Most public expressions are carefully tailored to encompass. Forty years ago I'd have been more appreciative of the point. Today, not really.

Is your objection is solely in the timing? Or do you object to the message itself?

rexlunae

An overreach at any rate.

I could be tempted that far.

Even if the billboard is in French? :french:

Oui.

But that message is and has been overwhelmingly secularized outside of churches.

Sometimes. Sometimes it's just blended in with secularism, which I find more objectionable.

I could understand, but I don't see a website changing that. Or one needing to wait until the holiday is upon us to begin to try.

Well no. And I've never heard of this group. But it is, fundamentally, an advertisement.

It speaks directly to the premise of any faith in negation. Else, see my immediate prior.

I think you could quote nearly any Christian philosopher positing the hypothetical non-existence of God. This doesn't really go any further than that. And it certainly could, if getting Christians fired up was the goal. It didn't even refer to "[G/g]od" as a proper noun, which grammatically implies that it isn't referring to a specific one.

I don't think the impact or commiserate and I think premeditated coverage/exposure/free advertising would have been weak. It's tailor made for local outrage and national coverage.

"People in the Bible Belt are a little upset this Christmas..."

I think, if I were so inclined, I could have come up with a message that would be far more likely to get that kind of attention. As could almost anyone else.

And there are any number of perfectly good months to get that mission under way. Months better suited to harmonious coexistence and less obviously trading on the other community.

If only Christmas were just one month long anymore...

I dunno. If 80% of the country spends four months going on about the same thing, I think you can pretty well expect all sorts of reactions from that 20% who don't go for it. And asking why people who hate football don't write their reactions to the Superbowl in June seems to kinda miss the point.

People presume all sorts of things about the state, but most of that goes out of the window when they live among us for a while.

Well, it's not meant as a slight against the state. It's 86% of the state's demographics. And I've heard it expressed from atheists in the Deep South that they are frequently surprised to meet any others.

The northernmost part of the state and the southernmost are really not that much like the larger middle reaches. The panhandle is a much more relaxed and humorous place to live. The northernmost a more cultured and rigid portion and the middle will shoot you if you look at it crossly.

Mobile is a bit of a mix. More of a giant small town than a city and that divided into very diverse populations and attitudes, which you can get a sampling of come Madi Gras. But I digress...;)

I've been all over the United States, except to most of Dixie. That's not intentional so much as a matter of opportunity, but if it's east of Texas and south of Virginia, I've mostly never been there. I am going to change that at some point, but there hasn't been much reason for me to go down there.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...I think you could quote nearly any Christian philosopher positing the hypothetical non-existence of God.
Which is a bit different in aim.

This doesn't really go any further than that. And it certainly could, if getting Christians fired up was the goal.
I didn't advance that theory. I said it was tasteless and needlessly confrontational, but the point seems more to drum up free publicity and not only without regard for the nature of the month and the people who celebrate its religious significance, but angled to use that very thing to its advantage.

It didn't even refer to "[G/g]od" as a proper noun, which grammatically implies that it isn't referring to a specific one.
I noticed. But you can't have it both ways. If it's about comfort in a time where some feel more alienated then it's aimed. If it's not about that then the timing would support the other advance. Either way it's problematic. Using the general g could be viewed as either a clever way to meet the desired and inevitable press with, "What? We weren't talking about any specific. See how those people are..." except they know where they were placing the signs and who would mostly be exposed to it.

I think, if I were so inclined, I could have come up with a message that would be far more likely to get that kind of attention. As could almost anyone else.
But that's not really the whole point. Complaints were coming late. Before Christmas it would have done precisely what it was meant to do along with the added benefit of allowing them to use the above answer while tweaking the nose of those being used to get the attention.

All in all a pretty neat, smart bit, happily thwarted by...coincidence or providence. Either way, a happy ending.

If only Christmas were just one month long anymore...
It is in my house. And a lovely month at that. :)

Well, it's not meant as a slight against the state. It's 86% of the state's demographics. And I've heard it expressed from atheists in the Deep South that they are frequently surprised to meet any others.
One of the Hitchens' debates was held in a fine old Southern school in this very state. A lot of thinking, curious and less than hostile Christians can be found here...but all I said was people have all sorts of suppositions about the state. Most of them, especially from those to the north who haven't spent time among the people here, are mistaken to one extent or another.

I've been all over the United States, except to most of Dixie.
Then you've missed a good bit of fun, missed the mix of cultures that gave the larger part a rich trove of art and the only original art form we've produced. It's a damnable humid, measured, frequently cordial and generally warm place to visit in the best sense.

That's not intentional so much as a matter of opportunity, but if it's east of Texas and south of Virginia, I've mostly never been there. I am going to change that at some point, but there hasn't been much reason for me to go down there.
Great food, literature, music, architecture, etc. Spend a week living out of the Garden District in New Orleans. Hang out in the Keys of Florida or listen to great musical acts sitting on the white sands of Gulf Shores...and I haven't even touched on the mountains to our north, Savanna and so much more. :) But a warning, many start on that trek and never leave us.

Daedalean's_Sun

I'm a bit surprised to find you asking that, but okay, as per my last to fly: [a] campaign meant to launch during the height of the dominant culture's religious holy month. That's in poor taste and it was designed to be confrontational by virtue of its timing.

What insidious nonsense!

Is there a specific time of year mentioning the mere fact that you are Christian should be regarded as 'confrontational' and 'tasteless'?

:nono:

rexlunae

Which is a bit different in aim.

How so? Atheists and theists alike contemplate the existence of a god or gods. The defining difference is the conclusion.

I didn't advance that theory. I said it was tasteless and needlessly confrontational, but the point seems more to drum up free publicity and not only without regard for the nature of the month and the people who celebrate its religious significance, but angled to use that very thing to its advantage.

I guess I just don't see the tastelessness, given what I take to be the aims. I'm hard-pressed to think of a more tasteful way to genuinely accomplish the same goal.

I noticed. But you can't have it both ways. If it's about comfort in a time where some feel more alienated then it's aimed. If it's not about that then the timing would support the other advance. Either way it's problematic.

I don't think that's true here. On the one hand, you want to express solidarity with the alienated, so you speak to exactly what you anticipate alienates them. But you aren't trying to upset anyone else, so you use the most generic language available while still getting at the point, language that happens to be how atheists tend to frame the discussion themselves. Nothing contradictory about it.

So, what would be a more innocuous message to atheists that wouldn't annoy Christians?

Using the general g could be viewed as either a clever way to meet the desired and inevitable press with, "What? We weren't talking about any specific. See how those people are..." except they know where they were placing the signs and who would mostly be exposed to it.

I didn't see a location for the billboard mentioned. Did I miss something?

But that's not really the whole point. Complaints were coming late. Before Christmas it would have done precisely what it was meant to do along with the added benefit of allowing them to use the above answer while tweaking the nose of those being used to get the attention.

It seems like that's entirely dependent on how you chose to construe their motives.

It is in my house. And a lovely month at that. :)

I'm glad to hear it. I just wish we could do without Christmas carols in nearly every public place from Halloween until the end of the year.

One of the Hitchens' debates was held in a fine old Southern school in this very state. A lot of thinking, curious and less than hostile Christians can be found here...but all I said was people have all sorts of suppositions about the state. Most of them, especially from those to the north who haven't spent time among the people here, are mistaken to one extent or another.

I believe I've seen the debate on YouTube. What I do know is what it can be like to live and work among religious people. And they can be open-minded, tolerant, wonderful people, but they also tend to assume that everyone is like them. Sometimes that's no problem, and other times...it can be pretty uncomfortable. The more religious people there are around, the more of a problem it is, and the more isolating it can be.

Then you've missed a good bit of fun, missed the mix of cultures that gave the larger part a rich trove of art and the only original art form we've produced. It's a damnable humid, measured, frequently cordial and generally warm place to visit in the best sense.

Great food, literature, music, architecture, etc. Spend a week living out of the Garden District in New Orleans. Hang out in the Keys of Florida or listen to great musical acts sitting on the white sands of Gulf Shores...and I haven't even touched on the mountains to our north, Savanna and so much more. :) But a warning, many start on that trek and never leave us.

The one place in the South I've been is New Orleans, actually, excepting a layover in Atlanta. It's been 20 years since, probably. But next time, I'm not going to go there with a church youth group, for reasons that are probably obvious. Mostly, when I travel, I do so for work, which hopefully will eventually bring me in that direction. Though, I may make it to Africa before Florida, the way things look at present. Or I could make time to travel on my own initiative.

Last edited:

zoo22

I'm not particularly moved by the claim of an infringement of speech here since the tasteless billboard in question was actually up and visible.

Tasteless?

:plain:

It's innocuous. It's not even targeted at religion. It's like an atheist hallmark card.

I'm a bit surprised to find you asking that, but okay, as per my last to fly: [a] campaign meant to launch during the height of the dominant culture's religious holy month.

Holy month?

:plain:

Mark SeaSigh

BANNED
Banned
I just want to Keep this at the Top a Little Longer;

( So, "Josie" has one last thing to Cry/Whine/Squeal about. )

=M=

Define: "Fine-Tuned" Universe; Josie gurl.

Or;

What is your Personal Definition of the Term "Fine-Tuned"?

You chose, Today; Enjoy.

Mark SeaSigh

BANNED
Banned
How so? Atheists and theists alike contemplate the existence of a god or gods. The defining difference is the conclusion.

Hey!

Bat Girl is Back!!!

=M=

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheist

Why don't you start using a "Real Dictionary" for your Vocabulary?

I mean, stop using the "New Dictionary" that was based on Old Wiki Documents; You Moronic Bat Whore!!!

Biased Evol Dictionary?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheist

a-theist

Literally means "a" "Theist"; you are done being "Skeptical" about the Notion of God, and have decided to be a Biased *** the Rest of your Existence: Until My God gets to you.

LOL!!!

**** *** ******** **** **** **** your Mom.

( Lucy, of Course!!! )

Last edited:

Mark SeaSigh

BANNED
Banned
Jonah Dawgy Doodle Doo;

Nobody knows when the the World or "Existence" will End; Except God.

Go back to "the Church", Roman Catholic smelling Evol.

=M=

Is your Middle name really Dog?

It's almost as though; You were named after a Dog: and, not a Character from the Bible!!! LOL!!!

Who was the Dog Named after?

Last edited: